Tree Talk....??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody ever view Daveys Tree talk on youtube?

I saw some of their dialogue on there last night & thought to myself.....WOW! they preach heavily on:

1- TCIA accredited biz
2- ISA certified arb.

first off, most home owners & businesses nowadays care more about the bottom line than TCIA`s accredited BS, I can understand the Certified Arb speach but not accreditation (spelling)

Its bad enough some Ho`s dont ask if you`re insured (or care), most dont ask about certification either..........let alone accredited! which is a money grabbing bunch of crap!!

see if I got this right? im gonna let a 3rd party over see my business & institute a program they feel is worth the money & necessary for success....LMFAO so the things I am by law suppose to do....they`re gonna make sure I do it & do it right? I guess the fact that a business who incorporates or goes LLC & uses an Atty needs there guidance & help......NOT!

what a bunch of crap to feed customers, there are thousands of tree care companies out there without accreditation doing a wonderful, legit & legal business. if im not mistaken.......I dont think Asplundh tree co. has this credential??

what happened to free enterprise? I know there are hacks out there or less desirable services........let the nature of business have there way with those sorts, if they`re breaking the law.......they`ll get caught/ maybe & lets face it.......there is not one business that doesnt break some law somewhere, weather it be compliance, taxes, pension deductions, vehicle maintenance, etc...

I just thought this was funny coming from a company who broke the law in regards to directly bargaining with union members & had to monetarily settle with a certain individual cause they wrongly fired him..........But, their accredited!!!

yep, that accredited stuff..........who can do without it? LOL

LXT............

I saw some of their dialogue on there last night & thought to myself.....WOW! they preach heavily on:

1- TCIA accredited biz
2- ISA certified arb.

first off, most home owners & businesses nowadays care more about the bottom line than TCIA`s accredited BS, I can understand the Certified Arb speach but not accreditation (spelling)

Its bad enough some Ho`s dont ask if you`re insured (or care), most dont ask about certification either..........let alone accredited! which is a money grabbing bunch of crap!!

see if I got this right? im gonna let a 3rd party over see my business & institute a program they feel is worth the money & necessary for success....LMFAO so the things I am by law suppose to do....they`re gonna make sure I do it & do it right? I guess the fact that a business who incorporates or goes LLC & uses an Atty needs there guidance & help......NOT!

what a bunch of crap to feed customers, there are thousands of tree care companies out there without accreditation doing a wonderful, legit & legal business. if im not mistaken.......I dont think Asplundh tree co. has this credential??

what happened to free enterprise? I know there are hacks out there or less desirable services........let the nature of business have there way with those sorts, if they`re breaking the law.......they`ll get caught/ maybe & lets face it.......there is not one business that doesnt break some law somewhere, weather it be compliance, taxes, pension deductions, vehicle maintenance, etc...

I just thought this was funny coming from a company who broke the law in regards to directly bargaining with union members & had to monetarily settle with a certain individual cause they wrongly fired him..........But, their accredited!!!

LXT............

And a heaping Amen to that.

less talk, more walk, less jerk, more work

It's just another way to weed out competition and the small business owners. All that will be left are the walmarts of tree care

^^a company with a WHOLE SHAT LOAD of workers paid by the hour doing 4-5 jobs a day ,that can cut your price in half

^^a company with a WHOLE SHAT LOAD of illegal workers paid by the hour doing 4-5 jobs a day ,that can cut your price in half

There I fixed it for you:angel: Ok guys here is what we do lol , we form our own brotherhood put the requirement of ten years documented off ground experience. Certification is not a requirement but is valued to be in our club. We can call it the A teamtree and we pool our skills to fight back. We run it by election of representatives who will be expected to stand heel to toe with these binny man enterprises and political regimes. We find a way to make us stand out and have benefits of joining the club to attract only experienced and legal citizens. Of course there will be dues for joining but we set it up non-profit though its workers and elected officials needed to run it and keep records get paid a fair but published salary. Benefits will be promotion advertising, discounted health benefits, discounted insurance benefits etc. Our elected officials will be paid fair but not a killing the whole aspect and goal will be focus on the best bang per buck for members and in domains that actually reduce their expenses. The A teamtree will instead of becoming fattened by greed make it like a coop and profits after necessary expense and prudent reserve will be refunded to members. Also there will be emergency fund set aside for qualifying tragedies such as a members home burning etc. I guess it is a silly dream but it seems like one way of combating the greedy leaches that prey on us each year:confused:

1- TCIA accredited biz
2- ISA certified arb.

LXT............

Well I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking about what you said too! well put!

1- TCIA accredited biz
2- ISA certified arb.

LXT............

Time to get with the times. 3rd party certification is the way big business is being conducted now and this is going to begin to filter it's way down toward the smaller companies.

ISO is the largest certification organization, but there are many others such as FSC (Forest Stewardship Council), Certified Organic, Shade Tree Coffee etc.

I couldn't find the video, anyone got a link...

the local office here had their rep on TV once talking about a bunch of B/S and it was all stuff trying to beat down the small guy....I worked for them too...

Last edited:
Time to get with the times. 3rd party certification is the way big business is being conducted now and this is going to begin to filter it's way down toward the smaller companies.

ISO is the largest certification organization, but there are many others such as FSC (Forest Stewardship Council), Certified Organic, Shade Tree Coffee etc.

I guess Ill pass on "getting with the times" especially with an accreditation program! Ropes....you are right on when you said "lobby" a politician, cause thats what these organizations do.....all for the cash & then a kick back!!

I bid a contract for the state last year/gamelands treefelling, the people in charge didnt care about certified arborists, didnt care about eco friendly workmanship....I mean were in the game lands removing 61 acres which had wetlands & streams running through em, They didnt care if you dropped stuff across the creek/stream, used regular baroil, etc...& most importantly....they didnt care about no stinkin Acredited company!!!

All they cared about was the cheapest bid/low cost provider!! I think it is almost laughable when I hear a company preach they`re accredited!! really what does it mean? oh... you are compliant, well clap, clap! they do nothing the small business administration wont do....there are alot of business help organizations out there that will do what the TCIA is doing for free!!!!!

Man I think im gonna be a business compliancy consultant....you give me all your paper work, Ill take it to my well funded lawyer & we`ll map out a business strategy for you.......then when its all done, well give you a nice certificate! this can be a 1 time deal or as in the TCIA case....we`ll milk your dumb azz every couple years................now dont that make you feel better?

Im thinking to my self....why would Davey even think about a program like this, then it became clear.........they dont like the fact that guys like us are making it, I even heard they have started a very detailed non compete clause for there work force!

LXT................

RF.....I know you can get to it from there website, I dont know if you just type in Davey on youtube if it will come up??

Boy they`re sure not the company my Dad worked for in the late 60`s & 70`s!!!

LXT.............

RF.....I know you can get to it from there website, I dont know if you just type in Davey on youtube if it will come up??

Boy they`re sure not the company my Dad worked for in the late 60`s & 70`s!!!

LXT.............
They changed a lot in the time I worked for them, they are employee owned but the majority of the company is owned by a very few of the big wheels and ran with a lot of politics, some of the old timers say when they went employee owned is when it started going to hell...

they don't like the small guys making money at all, I know that for sure....

Man I think im gonna be a business compliancy consultant....you give me all your paper work, Ill take it to my well funded lawyer & we`ll map out a business strategy for you.......then when its all done, well give you a nice certificate! this can be a 1 time deal or as in the TCIA case....we`ll milk your dumb azz every couple years................now dont that make you feel better?

LXT................

All the big forestry companies around here are certified by one organization or another. It's a cost of doing business and required by the market in order to sell their product. All the small forestry consultants who used to do the 'dirt work of forestry', now include 3rd party certification auditing as part of their practice.

It's a matter of trust. The only reason 3rd party certification organizations exist is because the 'industry (whichever one we are talking about)' has become untrustworthy in some of their claims. The marketplace is now demanding 3rd parties verify the company's claims be it environmental safety etc.

I see this as moving down to the consumer. As the basic residential consumer becomes more educated, they are going to demand a higher standard of tree care company. However, words are just smoke, and a 3rd party accrediting organization will provide validity to the company's claims.

However, to do this, the 3rd party accrediting organization has to have credibility as well.

Are there going to be people who couldn't care, sure, but it's just the same as people who will only buy certified organic food and those who don't care.

As a businessman, you can choose to be on the front of the wave or the tail of the wave.

As far as big companies trying to eliminate the small operator, if I remember in the 1920's there were almost 100 automobile manufacturers. And then there were 3. It's free enterprise capitalism.

They changed a lot in the time I worked for them, they are employee owned but the majority of the company is owned by a very few of the big wheels and ran with a lot of politics, some of the old timers say when they went employee owned is when it started going to hell...

they don't like the small guys making money at all, I know that for sure....

I talked with one Davey rep about a foreman job and asked if their foremen were really foremen or just high paid hands. I know I did not come off as really wanting a job by doing so. I merely poited out that when I started this business my foreman did not have to do crap. I did the climbing along with my comrades he took care of equipment and paperwork and training. Real foremen don't have time to do all the work for newbies they should be training, motivating and have full cooperation from superiors instead of being crew scapegoat and doing 90% of the work. I when working for the last big corp was put in this position even though men sign paper that says they will climb and do the work they didn't and meant you were the hand:dizzy: If I take another job it will be either a real supervisor, which I put enough time in to qualify for or I will apply for hand and lie about my prior experience, so I get the special treatment. It would be fun in a way to apply and work as a newbie until they figure out different.

I talked with one Davey rep about a foreman job and asked if their foremen were really foremen or just high paid hands. I know I did not come off as really wanting a job by doing so. I merely poited out that when I started this business my foreman did not have to do crap. I did the climbing along with my comrades he took care of equipment and paperwork and training. Real foremen don't have time to do all the work for newbies they should be training, motivating and have full cooperation from superiors instead of being crew scapegoat and doing 90% of the work. I when working for the last big corp was put in this position even though men sign paper that says they will climb and do the work they didn't and meant you were the hand:dizzy: If I take another job it will be either a real supervisor, which I put enough time in to qualify for or I will apply for hand and lie about my prior experience, so I get the special treatment. It would be fun in a way to apply and work as a newbie until they figure out different.
I know how ya feel....

I know how ya feel....

I was a foreman 20 years, it has been cheapened since early eighties. It now is just a title of someone who does the managers job,the hands job, and catches the flack after their superior gets back from golfing:rolleyes: I hate corporate enterprise can you feel it lol:monkey:

I was a foreman 20 years, it has been cheapened since early eighties. It now is just a title of someone who does the managers job,the hands job, and catches the flack after their superior gets back from golfing:rolleyes: I hate corporate enterprise can you feel it lol:monkey:
so do I, that's why when they laid us off and the guy from Asplundh kept calling me to work for him I just kept telling him no....I refuse to work for any of them ever again....

that is so true! My Dad was a foreman....that spot had seniority, was looked up to & most GF`s came from there, if you were a foreman that worked & most along with my dad did...............you were thought of as an overachiever! I came into the field when it was still very good & then all of a sudden some outta college bean counter incorporates a plan of action & cost out savings!

what the hell is that we all thought..............welp, then the white hat wasnt really all that important, they still made a lil more money but now screw up & you`re threatened "we`ll put that white hat on him if you cant do it!"....

this industry really has cheapened intself in many ways & alot of it we let corporate do to us!

BC....you are right about one thing, people want someone to oversee things & promise them all will be good...........unfortunately, thats what customer service usually does, in regards to tree care...........depending on area, Im not sure many will care, you do a good biz, be honest, make it right & do the best you can do!! this will go further than any 3rd party selling accredited status

LXT............

BC....you are right about one thing, people want someone to oversee things & promise them all will be good...........unfortunately, thats what customer service usually does, in regards to tree care...........depending on area, Im not sure many will care, you do a good biz, be honest, make it right & do the best you can do!! this will go further than any 3rd party selling accredited status

LXT............

Exactly...what if any customer even knows what TCIA accredited means. Work Quality and how I present myself to the customer has worked so far for me.

There I fixed it for you:angel: Ok guys here is what we do lol , we form our own brotherhood put the requirement of ten years documented off ground experience. Certification is not a requirement but is valued to be in our club. We can call it the A teamtree and we pool our skills to fight back. We run it by election of representatives who will be expected to stand heel to toe with these binny man enterprises and political regimes. We find a way to make us stand out and have benefits of joining the club to attract only experienced and legal citizens. Of course there will be dues for joining but we set it up non-profit though its workers and elected officials needed to run it and keep records get paid a fair but published salary. Benefits will be promotion advertising, discounted health benefits, discounted insurance benefits etc. Our elected officials will be paid fair but not a killing the whole aspect and goal will be focus on the best bang per buck for members and in domains that actually reduce their expenses. The A teamtree will instead of becoming fattened by greed make it like a coop and profits after necessary expense and prudent reserve will be refunded to members. Also there will be emergency fund set aside for qualifying tragedies such as a members home burning etc. I guess it is a silly dream but it seems like one way of combating the greedy leaches that prey on us each year:confused:

Here goes: I probably don't qualify to be in the club, but I wonder what is the penalty to property owners who break the line and hire the illegals?

Recently, I bid a fair sized job to the great-uncle of the fellow that works for me. They are a large, fairly close family that profess (loudly) to be pro american. It was a commercial job, big trees over the roof, over the parking lot, and had to be done on a Monday. He wanted it clean, and there were trees that leaned over the neighbors properties, and we had no permission there. I bid it for $ 2000. cleaned. I figured we could do it for $ 1350 in a perfect world, but there were a few too many stipulations. He went with the illegals for (maybe a thousand, maybe more.) Don't know if they cleaned up and hauled off or stacked on the curb. As soon as he was over saving his money, he went back to cussing the illegals.

People just love that money too much, and ship our jobs or pay out of the country.

I was wondering if anyone felt like wraaastling...can we gang up on the Better Business Bureau too? Those sons of #####es, they can barely spell arboriculture much less portend to know who is better than whom. But if you pay them they'll be happy to stand behind gutter bending, flush cutting, stub leaving, tree topping companies that are all hat and no cattle.

Last edited:
Back