Tree vandalism why? how its done and ideas for prevention.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a vile act far past the other willful vandalism I had posted.
The perpetrators planned prepared and with great effort attacked a public icon tree to bring grief to all. What ever could be the misguided cause they follow.

Dismay after historic tree hacked

Police probe 'sickening' attack on historic tree - Just In (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Update almost a year on heres some pictures

I can't say a great deal of recovery seen I'm sure they got it in best hands but I was expecting to see some cambium regrowth or its bubbling development or a bark graft attempt but saw no evidence of that. The trees heath & vigour seems Ok not great but as not observed over the last year its hard to tell.

It might be a better idea with park trees that are especially tall, to just state the general forest area there are in and exclude signs pin-pointing them. This sugar pine has a chainsaw cut all the way around it. You can see it partially where the snow shows white horizontally a few feet up from the ground.

167964d1294712829-sugar_pine_sign_600-jpg

View attachment 167964

That is why we try to keep some trees a secret. Right Mario?
Glory seeking adventurers often lead vandals right to them.
"discovery" often ends in desacration, some things should be left along.

I have the perfect punishment.
you vandalise a tree
Sentence one weekend (16hrs) community service doing re-vegetation work for each year of the trees age for each tree.

So you ring bark two trees that are 600 years old means you have to pull weeds and plant trees every weekend for the next 23 years

The volunteers that do re-vegetation could use the help and you know they are going to be in their ear about it.

I have the perfect punishment.
you vandalise a tree
Sentence one weekend (16hrs) community service doing re-vegetation work for each year of the trees age for each tree.

So you ring bark two trees that are 600 years old means you have to pull weeds and plant trees every weekend for the next 23 years

The volunteers that do re-vegetation could use the help and you know they are going to be in their ear about it.

Might work but what truly works well is a rope with thirteen turns:) Hang em high:rant:

First post!

Someone recently came onto a mountain bike/hiking area near where I live and fell two large and old big leaf maples. One they took a single round from. The other, and 86 year old tree they took none of. It also fell on and partially damaged a large Madrona, which are a rarity in the area.

It's apparent that someone went in there and marked several other large maples from a cross hatch chopped into the bark around the base of the tree. Does any one have an idea what they would be looking for? Can you tell if a maple will have spalting by removing some of the bark at the base?

I wish there was a good way to prevent this sort of mischief.

Someone recently came onto a mountain bike/hiking area near where I live and fell two large and old big leaf maples. One they took a single round from. The other, and 86 year old tree they took none of. It also fell on and partially damaged a large Madrona, which are a rarity in the area.

It's apparent that someone went in there and marked several other large maples from a cross hatch chopped into the bark around the base of the tree. Does any one have an idea what they would be looking for? Can you tell if a maple will have spalting by removing some of the bark at the base?

I wish there was a good way to prevent this sort of mischief.

Not enough info. What are you talking about?
Jeff

Not enough info. What are you talking about?
Jeff

About the poached tree or the why they did it?

I'm under the assumption that the tree was poached to make guitar bodies from. Maple develops a bacteria that can cause a phenomenon called spalting. Apparently if the wood is dried and finished this spalting can be very nice looking. Several other Maples in the area had some bark removed from the trunk near the base. I have to assume they were looking for spalting but I'm otherwise unsure. You can usually tell if the maple is going to have burls by growths on the trunk, so I'd think they'd not bother to strip bark.

About the poached tree or the why they did it?

I'm under the assumption that the tree was poached to make guitar bodies from. Maple develops a bacteria that can cause a phenomenon called spalting. Apparently if the wood is dried and finished this spalting can be very nice looking. Several other Maples in the area had some bark removed from the trunk near the base. I have to assume they were looking for spalting but I'm otherwise unsure. You can usually tell if the maple is going to have burls by growths on the trunk, so I'd think they'd not bother to strip bark.

I guess you answered your question. Thug's.
Jeff

Update almost a year on heres some pictures

I can't say a great deal of recovery seen I'm sure they got it in best hands but I was expecting to see some cambium regrowth or its bubbling development or a bark graft attempt but saw no evidence of that. The trees heath & vigour seems Ok not great but as not observed over the last year its hard to tell.

update 3 years on and the same and now other trees attacked again this week,,, theres a nut job out there and he got plenty of patience

Treasured trees vandalised at RBG Melbourne

This weekend, staff at the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne discovered that several trees had been damaged in act of vandalism just six weeks after cacti in the Arid Garden were slashed.

It appears that vandals have attempted to ringbark three trees and damaged several others, probably with a small axe or machete.

Among the damaged trees was one of Victoria's most significant trees, the Separation Tree, a 400 year-old River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis). Also damaged was a beautiful Corymbia maculata Spotted Gum and a commemorative Brush Box planted by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1954.

The Separation Tree was already vulnerable after a major attack in August 2010 which left the tree severely ringbarked. A full assessment of the damage to the Separation Tree will be carried out on Monday

Tell the truth mate, you're doing this yourself aren't you?
:givebeer:

who you been talking to :msp_wink:
I sadly have been responsible for removing some really nice trees for all the wrong reasons. But I got paid for them and could rationalize myself... I have thou not often just refused and said to clients go get another chopper I'm not puttin a saw to that NFW.

Why n what motivates a sane person to climb a steel picket fence on cold winter nite to hack respected trees is just beyond,,, where my voodoo doll & books of hex and curses spells.

Latest posts

Back