Tree vandalism why? how its done and ideas for prevention.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you may have a point but the compression side of that tree lost all support leaving only tension wood and by a sidewalk and roadway makes its lingering a threat to public safety imo.

This is a conifer?

Now as for state sponsored silliness happens every election day doesn't it?:dizzy:

Pelosi will never lose in her district of san fran. The silliness will continue. :help:

This is a conifer?

Pelosi will never lose in her district of san fran. The silliness will continue. :help:

Ok my bad after re--reading derwoodi post the tree is to come out for new home reconstruction but still, I would err on the side of caution and recommend speedy removal. I understand the frustration of vandalism victimization, however: how is jeopardizing any pedestrian's safety, most likely not involved in the malicious act, a win for arboriculture?

Last edited:
however: how is jeopardizing any pedestrian's safety, most likely not involved in the malicious act, a win for arboriculture?

All trees fail, all wood rots. - Dr. K Smith

They also compartmentalize. The responding arborist has to make the call.

I no longer subscribe to Defect + Target = Hazard. Too many variables.
With that said, this tree has a serious defect and serious targets... I'm just sayin... it's impossible to make the call from a picture of a small portion of the tree. :cheers:

With that said, this tree has a serious defect and serious targets... I'm just sayin... it's impossible to make the call from a picture of a small portion of the tree. :cheers:

I understand but disagree it is halfway through add a few months for decay and a wind gust while pedestrian is on sidewalk, well it really seems a no-brainer to me. Aesthetics is my big issue; I don't want ugly dangerous trees for my customers and though trees do compartmentalize I can't see leaving trees like this one I took out. I recomeded cutting and planting would you think it better to leave it?
badone_001.jpg

I understand but disagree it is halfway through add a few months for decay and a wind gust while pedestrian is on sidewalk, well it really seems a no-brainer to me. Aesthetics is my big issue; I don't want ugly dangerous trees for my customers and though trees do compartmentalize I can't see leaving trees like this one I took out. I recomeded cutting and planting would you think it better to leave it?
badone_001.jpg
another view
badone_007.jpg

badone_001.jpg
[/QUOTE]

"[Aesthetics is my big issue;] [trees do compartmentalize]"

Trees can compartmentalize. Your oak did not and shows no positive wound response to the rot making your call for removal likely the right one. Had it shown positive response, are you aware woundwood can be 40% stronger than typical lignified wood? Would it still be too ugly for you to preserve?
Why do we have cabling and bracing systems if every defective tree is to be removed?

Sry for the derail Derwodii.

How can you fellers cry "removal" when you have seen only a small portion of the tree? Derwoodii is more than capable to make the call as the responding arborist.

This sort of state sponsored silliness is not technically vandalism...

attachment.php

photo by Syd Whittle, August 7, 2010

So cut the side out and stand under until it fails.
Jeff

Yup! I just did, not impossible at all. Actually it was easy.
Jeff ;)

Trees can compartmentalize. Your oak did not and shows no positive wound response to the rot making your call for removal likely the right one. Had it shown positive response, are you aware woundwood can be 40% stronger than typical lignified wood? Would it still be too ugly for you to preserve?
Why do we have cabling and bracing systems if every defective tree is to be removed?

Sry for the derail Derwodii.

Yes I am aware of wound wood strengths but it is because it has to be, to aid the lost support of healthy heartwood support. I know its essentially deadwood but does add structural support if not rotting away. The tree I was referring to with the hatchet made notch half way through or better, yes its too ugly to recommend saving imho. It also seemed to not have good structure but you can only see the start of what appears to be weak attachment left to grow for many years. I am not motivated to cut every tree with a defect but obvious defects in high traffic areas; sorry guy's I don't have a muti-billion dollar company to back me and could not recommend saving it if I did.

Last edited:
Derwoodi vandals need to be used as cavity fillers but everyone is not a vandal ,so protecting the public must be on our minds imo and sorry if I trashed the thread it was not my intention.

Derwoodi vandals need to be used as cavity fillers but everyone is not a vandal ,so protecting the public must be on our minds imo and sorry if I trashed the thread it was not my intention.

Nah that's alright rope & all as well. It was kinda going nowhere only polarized the huggers and the cutters. Now its got some giddy up and we are all learning so ye ha. I got some new pictures of my axed tree I had a look today. Its still solid & they show a better side more wood not quite as scary. Trees still doomed building starts soon. I,ll post later off to the rifle club to get some plinking done.
Sos Jeff English grammar & expression is not my strong er hmm ahhh area field study daarrr erudition...But I am handy with a saw.

Ok it took a lickin but kept on tickin. Wall 4 doing its thing quite well but the canopy startin to fade. Yer its bad but the streets a dead end with only a few with vacant houses, so I kept it rather than sox it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.metrotrees.com.au/treehandbook/page-listings/lophostemon-confertus.html

This whole areas under redevelopment whole blocks demo,d and new town houses dropped in. Any tree in the way goes by by but its paid for by the developer not by the city taxes. Leavin this saved Joe public a weeks wages.

Your thoughts on the axed ring barked Red gum picture posted. Its at Melbourne botanical gardens a tree of great history axed by some vile fool.
I reckon bark graft is whats planned. Any one done this? Only read about it myself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/20/2988828.htm?site=melbourne&section=news

rew your pic above it looks like dead callus at the left side, evidence of an old infection unsealed.

re grafting the ringbarked, good on them for covering right away to prevent drying. nope never bridge grafted but that has been done on live oaks. The tech doing the work charged $10k. Per.

:bowdown:

Ok it took a lickin but kept on tickin. Wall 4 doing its thing quite well but the canopy startin to fade. Yer its bad but the streets a dead end with only a few with vacant houses, so I kept it rather than sox it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.metrotrees.com.au/treehandbook/page-listings/lophostemon-confertus.html

This whole areas under redevelopment whole blocks demo,d and new town houses dropped in. Any tree in the way goes by by but its paid for by the developer not by the city taxes. Leavin this saved Joe public a weeks wages.

Your thoughts on the axed ring barked Red gum picture posted. Its at Melbourne botanical gardens a tree of great history axed by some vile fool.
I reckon bark graft is whats planned. Any one done this? Only read about it myself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/20/2988828.htm?site=melbourne&section=news

Thanks for the full view it does appear to have somewhat poor structure as I guessed. If we could be utilized before trees grow too large to remove poorly attached limbs and crossing branches. We could make a much better impact imo. Here the landscape personal whack them and years later I remove the screwed up result:dizzy:

I think very serious criminal charges, including damages restitution should be placed on the ring barked obvious vandal. He should be scared to even look at a tree for his stupidity imo. I have read some on grafting and have attempted it with limited success it must be expedient while still fresh but has great promise toward injury mitigation imho.

Last edited:
... If we could be utilized before trees grow too large to remove poorly attached limbs and crossing branches. We could make a much better impact imo. Here the landscape personal whack them and years later I remove the screwed up result:dizzy:

Oh I SO totally agree!!!
I'm attempting some restoration pruning on young trees 15-20' at the local plant nursery. They are planted along the main road on the edge of their standing out area.
Up in the canopy I can be heard muttering, 'fool who did this should be SHOT'
Also they have lighting installed that it now pressing into the base of the trees...one or two might have to be removed theur structure is now so awful.
The sad thing is, the guys that did it were the Landscape company of one of the old managers at the nursery...he could run a nursery but knew piss all about tree pruning.

Apparently he's still muttering to the new management that I am not taking enough out of some of the trees...that they need to be 'cut way back'

This is a bad joke. Half or better of these is not vandalism and half the vandalism is just kids doing stupid things, come on the axe marks are a good example. Do you really think that some vandal is going to take 30 or 40 swipes to just damage a tree? Get real no vandal is going to take that kind of time and make that much noise. In my Great state we actually had one and he was felling big Doug Firs across Highway 26 in Oregon and he was using a chainsaw in the middle of the night and did not know what he was doing other than being a punk as none of the trees were notched. A couple people actually hit a couple of them and were very lucky they did not get badly injured or killed. They caught him after a month or two, they nailed him doing other acts and searched his room and found the saw, it was a teenager being stupid. Now that is vandalism not this jokey stuff lol GET REAL!

This is a vile act far past the other willful vandalism I had posted.
The perpetrators planned prepared and with great effort attacked a public icon tree to bring grief to all. What ever could be the misguided cause they follow.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/dismay-after-historic-tree-hacked-20100820-13912.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/20/2988828.htm?section=justin

attachment.php
attachment.php

Act #2 Down here months after this above they have attacked another group of trees. Suspect some kinda of nutters with an axe to grind on trees. They are thinkers planning and organized not stupid opportunist.

Three heritage-listed trees have been vandalised at Belgrave, in Melbourne's east, this week.

Police believe a chainsaw was used to cut around the base of three large Mountain Ash trees.

An axe was used to hack at the base of two other trees

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/v...elisted-trees-20101001-15zu1.html?autostart=1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/01/3026604.htm?site=melbourne

Latest posts

Back