Tree vandalism why? how its done and ideas for prevention.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sick is an understatement.

Ringing a tree with an axe or adze like that, takes some work.
Not just a drunk with an axe, taking out his anger obviously.

If it's some sort of organized group with an agenda, what the heck is it?

Somebody having issues with Govt. regs on removing or cutting trees, or the whacko enviros themselves stirring things up?

What is curious, is that they ringed the tree instead of simply dropping it.
Forcing the owner to do the dirty work or pay for it.

Good luck on finding these freaks!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I would like to understand the thinking behind such acts.

How can there be a good chance of those trees surviving a 6" cut, as the arborist was quoted? (good question)

Is all the parenchyma capable of regrowth and sealing, or just the cambium layer? (all, given room etc?)

How deep does the parenchyma go? (to the core, potentially?)

Last edited:
I,m told the 1st tree at Bot gardens has been bark grafted but info is being kept out of media perhaps to avoid inspiring these nutters. This second act has been linked to 1st and now talk of as dinger says an agenda group with axe to grind. I have another theory.

Extortion by threat to unguarded public icons. A letter of demand is on the Premiers desk saying. Damage or harm to things of public value unless payment made to.... These despicable acts are warning or proof of ability.
Stand over tactics for money is well know in Eastern block country's. This is depraved and not of this country so I say an import.

I,m told the 1st tree at Bot gardens has been bark grafted but info is being kept out of media perhaps to avoid inspiring these nutters. This second act has been linked to 1st and now talk of as dinger says an agenda group with axe to grind. I have another theory.

Extortion by threat to unguarded public icons. A letter of demand is on the Premiers desk saying. Damage or harm to things of public value unless payment made to.... These despicable acts are warning or proof of ability.
Stand over tactics for money is well know in Eastern block country's. This is depraved and not of this country so I say an import.

Some others from the continent to the west of you are also known for playing that game, and they know how to use a Panga if they don't get thier way. The French and Italians deal with 'em constantly playing that crap. I'll bet you're right on that one.

Don't rule out the enviro crazies looking to call attention to deforrestation for Bio-fuel though. The Whackos are ALL kinda wound up over the matter in Europe.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Some good news is the tree seems to be doing ok so far

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...tes-independence/story-e6frf7kx-1225953030028

MELBOURNE'S historic Separation Tree may be bruised and battered but it was the star of Victorian Independence celebrations today.
The Royal Botanic Gardens landmark is swaddled in a blanket, barricades and technical equipment to monitor its moisture levels following a ringbarking attack, but it was still the site of the annual re-enactment of the Proclamation of Separation of the 160th anniversary of Victoria's independence

I say the villains bust be forced to plant 100 trees for each one damaged and be beaten and humiliated in this time being also live broad casted on a special local tv post and re runed again in prime time on every news station as they run commercials.

in the age of Vlad the Impaler there were golden cups at each well and fountain. no one dared steal it. One day an old lady went to get water and the cup was gone; she exhaled: -"Vlad is Dead!"

Yes I often dream of punishment that may fit these crimes. Yet after watchin a doco on Vlad I sorta hope a Cure can be found for these vandals minds rather than Vlad's deterrent methods which were kinda cruel, effective yes, but very cruel. Perhaps as a compromise bring on back the olé court yard stocks.

I don`t know, I don`t fancy civil ways that much; I fear that they will lead us to an era when we will worship trees due to their rarity and then, when that wisdom comes, if you heart a tree, you will be mobed.
so.....same thing. kinda.

do you know about that city in the jungle? can`t exactly remember where (South America I think); they had paved rivers and stuff...in the end, that city (long extinct) expanded more and more that the resources were gone, thus the city was too vanished eventually. they didn`t found wisdom in good time and I believe neither are we gonna find it.

sad, but...

could be, not sure; have a black out.
they didn`t knew it is a city till they took photos from satellite. only then every piece came in together.
the nature reclaimed everything back.
nature rulz !!! except for the mosquitos (I can`t find their use yet)

More sad news from the UK

Vandals destroy tree of history.

IT MAY have looked like a scrubby bush high on the bare slope of a hill in Somerset in the south-west of England, but it was one of the most famous trees in the country, and once one of the most famous in all Christendom. And it has been felled by vandals.

The attack on the Glastonbury Thorn, in Glastonbury, left the crown trailing on the ground beside the almost severed trunk.

The tree is said to have flowered on Wearyall Hill every Christmas day for 2000 years, since Joseph of Arimathea thrust the staff he brought from the Holy Land into the soil and it miraculously blossomed.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/vandals-destroy-tree-of-history-20101210-18sui.html

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ld-holy-thorn-tree-of-glastonbury-is-cut-down

Vandals destroy tree of history.

IT MAY have looked like a scrubby bush high on the bare slope of a hill in Somerset in the south-west of England, but it was one of the most famous trees in the country, and once one of the most famous in all Christendom. And it has been felled by vandals.

The attack on the Glastonbury Thorn, in Glastonbury, left the crown trailing on the ground beside the almost severed trunk.

The tree is said to have flowered on Wearyall Hill every Christmas day for 2000 years, since Joseph of Arimathea thrust the staff he brought from the Holy Land into the soil and it miraculously blossomed.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/vandals-destroy-tree-of-history-20101210-18sui.html

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ld-holy-thorn-tree-of-glastonbury-is-cut-down

Mean people suck. I hate ignorance, dis-respect and heathenism it takes a big bad dude to do something so tough huh:angry:

It might be a better idea with park trees that are especially tall, to just state the general forest area there are in and exclude signs pin-pointing them. This sugar pine has a chainsaw cut all the way around it. You can see it partially where the snow shows white horizontally a few feet up from the ground.

167964d1294712829-sugar_pine_sign_600-jpg

View attachment 167964

Today after more and more tree vandalism as the billy lids are out n about after dark just smashin paintin n breakin stuff I had a silly idea....

A new console game vandal things at home not in the street.

UDOVandal the new game now on Wii

Hey kids Smash a tree, graffiti a wall, wreck a letter box & key a car while evading the police & council CCTv patrols.
Get player points as you go reach your goals, be the best wrecker of the street.

And Mums n dad they do it all safe from your home.

Seems no different than many of these games eg Grand Theft. Heck it may just sell a few million n just may keep these sods off the streets a wee bit. So tell me why it wont work? Ya ta, I know but gotz to try as nuthin we do so far has....

It might be a better idea with park trees that are especially tall, to just state the general forest area there are in and exclude signs pin-pointing them. This sugar pine has a chainsaw cut all the way around it. You can see it partially where the snow shows white horizontally a few feet up from the ground.=QUOTE]

Agree we have a few very special trees of great history some over 600 years old used by the native aboriginals of our land. These trees can live close to suburbs but are kept off registers and not sign posted to avoid being targets.

I think there is a generation of wacko's that have been breeding.
Jeff

I remember them when growing up. They were let to run wild be heathens etc. I am glad for the azz whippins I got. I still did not turn out great but I ain't a complete idiot like some turned out. I know to leave things that don't belong to me alone! I know wrong from right in most cases. I would have been terrible without those teachings .

Back