Tree work in the philipines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're talking about the tacloban photo, then yeah, maybe. I've not ever seen a coconut tree or similar fall over in my country. Over there, pretty much everything was leveled. Ships brought up on shore, houses brought to the ground, maybe 95% of the trees wiped out and vehicles and infrastructure destroyed. I don't know that lessons on how to retain more trees are really going to be at the forefront of thinking for people who are facing death and suffering as well as the loss of everything they have in their life.

The first photo shows some trees still with foliage. My buddy was saying they're systematically stripping every tree in the neighborhood, so those are yet to be done. I don't think they left the trunks out of any kind of sympathy, more from the fact that the work had to be done with hand tools and ladders made on site from bamboo. Not having chippers, the waste needs to be carried away on bicycles and such. There's was limited time available, so they cut what they can. This is survival, pure and simple.

Leaving trunks would provide protection; no sympathy for the tree needed! Maybe their lack of chainsaws makes them 'pollard' instead of remove. Low tech can be better tech.

Enjoy your toy!

Back