Treemandan took it up the "rear" today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So this morning TMD and I set out to chip a pile of pine brush and TD a fire damaged beech tree. We hit the brush first to get the crap work out of the way and were re-setting the site for the beech. Freaking left rear axle failed in his F350. Nasty noises and the whole bit. Classic shear profile on the...what was it, 1-1/4" diameter shaft. Think it was a Dana 60 rear, maybe 1 size larger. Long story short, the driveshaft had to be dropped, both axles had to come out, the wheel bearings packed with lithium, and of course the rig driven in "front wheel drive" all the way back to Phoenixville from 19342. I was impressed at how positive Dan remained throughout the whole thing. He had to stop several times on the way hope to re-pack the bearings as a preventive measure. I'm sure TMD will post some pics in this thread soon.

I just wanted to chose the title of the post.

Positive? Positive!? POSITIVE!!!!!??

Yeah well we had a good start getting in.

brokedowntruck001.jpg

You know I hook the chipper to the front as to avoid problems when trying to back up into places like this.

brokedowntruck002.jpg

We hit this brush pile , Plas said " Man, that sucked", but it was a nice pile comparatively speaking.
I had flipped the knives but never adjusted the anvil so the chips were big and we had over a half a load. It was mainly pine boughs and not to heavy... comparitively speaking.

brokedowntruck003.jpg

So I drive back to the bottom to turn around to hook back up to the front so we can jockey postion for the next thing and on the way back up I heard a loud bang.

brokedowntruck004.jpg

And that was pretty much that.

And what a great title it was Mike. I want you to remember it next time you are latching the pintle on the front of the truck. OK?:greenchainsaw:

Wow, did something get wedged in between the tires to snap the axle. I seen that happen before. hate it happened to the truck but better the truck than Dan takin it in the rear.lol

When it snapped I was in low loc with the front hubs locked too. I was making a hard left ( left rear half shaft snapped). I was on dry pavement and it was binding up but I made the turn slowly and backed up and went foreward a few time while making the turn to make the turn without having the rudder turned sharply.
Either the driveline bound up ( probably that) because of being in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement or it was just enough for the truck to say " Just wait a cotton picking minute".
I think even if the front hubs were not locked all the load would have still been put on the left rear wheel anyway. I will be more careful next time and was taken it easy making the turn today. When I was pushing the chipper up the hill I wanted all wheels powered. I gave a half hearted attempt to back in in two wheel drive and the tires were slipping. When I think about how much weight I have had on the truck and where I have had it I was surprised the axle snapped under the circumstances today.
I hope the boneyard will sell me just a half shaft. Thank God for Plas and his great assortment of tools which was close by. We went to his house twice for tools ( 10 minutes one way) and then he followed me back the hour up to my place where we got drunk and he stole my pack of smokes.

Last edited:
Positive? Positive!? POSITIVE!!!!!??

Yeah well we had a good start getting in.

brokedowntruck001.jpg

You know I hook the chipper to the front as to avoid problems when trying to back up into places like this.

brokedowntruck002.jpg

We hit this brush pile , Plas said " Man, that sucked", but it was a nice pile comparatively speaking.
I had flipped the knives but never adjusted the anvil so the chips were big and we had over a half a load. It was mainly pine boughs and not to heavy... comparitively speaking.

brokedowntruck003.jpg

So I drive back to the bottom to turn around to hook back up to the front so we can jockey postion for the next thing and on the way back up I heard a loud bang.

brokedowntruck004.jpg

And that was pretty much that.

I have two dana 70 hd complete axels Dano !

When it snapped I was in low loc with the front hubs locked too. I was making a hard left ( left rear half shaft snapped). I was on dry pavement and it was binding up but I made the turn slowly and backed up and went foreward a few time while making the turn to make the turn without having the rudder turned sharply.
Either the driveline bound up ( probably that) or it was just enough for the truck to say " Just wait a cotton picking minute".
I think even if the front hubs were not locked all the load would have still been put on the left rear wheel anyway.
I hope the boneyard will sell me just a half shaft. Thank God for Plas and his great assortment of tools which was close by. We went to his house twice for tools ( 10 minutes one way) and then he followed me back the hour up to my place where we got drunk and he stole my pack of smokes.
yep, that's what happened, I've seen a few snap on dry pavement trying to make hard turns. snapped one myself doing that in a ford 4x4.

Which is why limited slip is better in a work truck than locker imo.

I am not sure what's in there. I pulled the tag off to get a new axle so I will find out. I also have to pull the cover to pry the broken shaft out. We went to Sears to get a magnet to get the shrapnel out but it wouldn't pull the shaft. I will see what it is then. I think its open by the way she slips in 2 wheel drive.

I was taking it easy on the turn. Hard uphill left. I would go forward a little and then drift back while. Whatever, never again with the hubs locked. But I usually low loc when jockey-ing for position or backing with the chipper.

To me a truck like mine is pretty much worthless if its not a 4x4. At least I still had the front axle to get me home to my beer.

I am not sure what's in there. I pulled the tag off to get a new axle so I will find out. I also have to pull the cover to pry the broken shaft out. We went to Sears to get a magnet to get the shrapnel out but it wouldn't pull the shaft. I will see what it is then. I think its open by the way she slips in 2 wheel drive.

I was taking it easy on the turn. Hard uphill left. I would go forward a little and then drift back while. Whatever, never again with the hubs locked. But I usually low loc when jockey-ing for position or backing with the chipper.

To me a truck like mine is pretty much worthless if its not a 4x4. At least I still had the front axle to get me home to my beer.

It looks like a 70 hd, on the tag should say the ratio make sure if you end up swapping the whole mess that the ratios match. I have two 410 ratio 70 hd's that are in great shape if you were closer we would already have it going again:cheers:

It looks like a 70 hd, on the tag should say the ratio make sure if you end up swapping the whole mess that the ratios match. I have two 410 ratio 70 hd's that are in great shape if you were closer we would already have it going again:cheers:

I appreciate the sentiment Ropes, and if you were to yank a shaft and bring it to me well i just might have a cold 6 pack for ya... but that's all yer getting!:greenchainsaw:

If I can't persuade a yard to break down a rear assmebly and let me just have the shaft I will have to get a brand new one which should be easy enough to do.
Its been awhile since I have been around the boneyards but I figured I would just walk in and say " ITS ME! Now give me that axle shaft!" But I have a feeling they might rather not. Sometimes they would rather not peice out something like this because its worth more whole but we will see.

I appreciate the sentiment Ropes, and if you were to yank a shaft and bring it to me well i just might have a cold 6 pack for ya... but that's all yer getting!:greenchainsaw:

If I can't persuade a yard to break down a rear assmebly and let me just have the shaft I will have to get a brand new one which should be easy enough to do.
Its been awhile since I have been around the boneyards but I figured I would just walk in and say " ITS ME! Now give me that axle shaft!" But I have a feeling they might rather not. Sometimes they would rather not peice out something like this because its worth more whole but we will see.

Well I was about to tell ya to just come see rope and he would fix ya azz up for free but well then you reminded me its you:hmm3grin2orange:

Does anybody know what the Dana numbers mean? For example, on the ever popular Dana 44, what does 44 mean?

Lol good question; to me it means a later model dana 30 which had king pins instead of ball joints but there is even different 44's such as 44f and 44 hd in my 66 f250 4 by 4 3/4 ton. Some will say ls and some housings have embossed 60 70 ect on the pumpkin.

OK this was one of the funnier things I've heard.

Today Dan's working on his ####ed-up truck and was starting to get really pissed...tow guys not around or wanting too much money and we had yet to figure out how to fix the truck to get it home yet. It was right at the low point of the day. Out of NOWHERE comes this male individual and starts talking to Dan. I really couldn't hear what he was saying but I knew one thing: he was gay. Now look I don't care if people are gay, whatever, but the fact is that this dude was GAY.

Dude walks away and I say "yo Ben, what did that guy say?" Ben says, without looking away from what he was doing, "doesn't matter, the guy was a ******". One of those things you'd have to be there to laugh at.

Back