Trees you are proud to put your name on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Who here has done a trim on a tree that just came out excellent, and was notable enough to remember it years later?
4 years ago, I trimmed a huge live oak that TOWERED over a two story house (high peaked roof, one lead was 15" diameter where it passed 5' over the peak). I spent two days in that tree, burned less than one tank of gas and had a 10' chip truck almost full (mostly moss). Spread on the tree was over 100', DBH was over 10'. My groundie took pics, but I can't find my copies.

Today i did a smaller version, 30' DBH live oak demoss job. Spent 4 1/2 hours in it, never used my chainsaw. Worked to the tips on every lead, picking off moss by hand and snapping off little dead twigs. I doubt there is more than 6 dead twigs left in that whole tree! Beautiful tree, hope the two I planted in my yard look that good someday. :angel:

i always wanted to get medle or plastic tags made up saying "ken xxxxxx was here" and put then at the central tie in point. i'm sure the next guy to tie in there would get a kick out of it.

I've been in a few oaks that two of us took over four hours doing deadwood on.

Soem of the ones I like are nasty green ash or box elder that you keep saying they should just remove it and get it over with, then you walk back and take a look and "hey, that aint half bad!"

Some of my FAVORITES have been young trees that I got to prune at a stage when it made a huge difference in the tree's development. Most of the memorable ones have been big/historic trees.

I did a cedar last weekend that was just loaded with dead wood, loaded!! If someone had droped a match at the bottom of that tree into my 5ft tall pile of deadwood I would have been toast. The homeowner originaly wanted to remove it because it was "ugly", I talked them into a $150.00 deadwood job that I would be willing to apply to the $550 removal if they still wanted it after the fact. They now love the tree, it looks like a 65ft tall bonsai tree becase it's live branches were so sparse. I didn't cut any live wood at all.
Greg

Here in Austin, the bulk of our pruning is live oaks. I know what you mean about being proud to put your name on them. The kind of thing where you impress yourself. I have done freebies like that around town at the botanical gardens, etc just for that thrill of accomplishment and to leave a work of art behind that will be there long after we are dead.

These trees are beautiful deadwood and all. We just make them shine. The real challenge is making a P.O.S. boxelder or hackberry look good. The down side is that then they want to keep it forever.

Can you tell I hate hackberries?

So far.......

The crab apple on my front lawn. My first attempt and I think it turned out well.

Mind you if this had been a commercial venture, the boss would not have made any money. I climbed back up into it twice to cut more out because it just was not quite right.

Anyways it was a learning experience and secondly the tree really does look a lot better.

your not they only one that hates hack berries. there's never a good crotch to work from. they call them "hack" for a reason.

Latest posts

Back