Trencher converted to mini skidder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
youre machine is capable of being a much, much more potent skidder than most people think. im confident i could get that unit dragging three buttlogs at a time, 20”x20' or so.

couple rules, fill the tires with used antifreeze after straining through a tee shirt and testing/adding concentrate for freeze protection. your nearest diesel/semi truck shop will surely give it to you by the drum because theyre paying for disposal. i suspect those tires will hold 25gallon each. fantastic how short and wide they are. the machine being short and low and square will have excellent maneuverability in tight woods.

gearing is probably 5.88, 6.17 or 7.17 and spools or detroits wouldnt be surprising. pull the dang covers already, we wanna know.

dont rush this build , plan out a big budget sketch and then do the parts you can afford as you can. keep your eyes peeled and other pieces will fall in your lap at the junkyard or wherever. i would mount a pair of parallell 12volt group 31 truck batteries toward the back and plop that 10k winch in the middle but leave room to build a future two hinge grapple that straddles it. grapples are vastly more productive but only if u can back up to the log. on the sides of those two posts i would mount one each of the harbor freight $60 quad winch up high as you can. strip off some cable to give it more snot and make the cutoffs into extensions you keep on the tractor. the center winch is for your big buttlogs.. real those in as 16s and bring em to the mill. specially white oaks $. use the side winches for retrieving extra pieces as you drive along, instead of having to unhook the buttlog, twitch the other one, lash em together, rehook etc. trencher ground speed is slow but torque, weight and traction are very high for pulling cable plows and running hydraulic motors. they have excess HP to compensate for the huge power loss of hydraulic motor inefficiency. anyhow, your machine is gonna pull more than you think.

next critical issue is front end ballast. what does your blade look like and how stout is it? number 1 priority for the front of that machine isna dozer blade with a log grapple, as heavy as you can make it. this is the difference between you pulling or wheelstanding hills. make the grapple so it can grab a 30” round, cuz those are the ones you will throw a disc out trying to get on your trailer. the blade shouldnt be very wide, less than the trackwidth of your machine so its not a hindrance getting through the woods. make the arms long and the ride high enough to push your logs up those sideboards onto your flatbed. limit the grapples open position mechanically so you can have it full open and be pushing full bore against it without bending the cylinder rods.. and positively use dual cylinders. i cut my trails, root rake, pop small stumps and push stuff over with my grapple rake constantly.. when im done youve got a beautiful singletrack recreation trail and richies will pay for nature walks. also, float is a must on the blade. backdrag float is how i do all my contouring. downpressure is how i anchor my machine forn heavy pull or lift the front wheels. in your case it would be worth the time to get the stroke right for enough tire clearance to sling chains on and off.

back at the landing, you can deck the logs onto your flatbed and also build a pen for logs on the neck of the trailer. drag trees long, buck and sort at landing, grapple them and drive onto trailer. lay a pair of straps down first and pile your matchsticks ontop in the pen sideways like railroad ties till youve got just enough room to put the machine on back. when you get home grapple or strap the whole bundle and drag it off. also make it possible to keep forewood and sawlogs seperate.

be warned, the machine will max out a car trailer pretty soon and you might want to trade up to a pintle hook equipment trailer with fixed ramps and plate fenders or deckover. id avoid triaxle. sharp turns suck with heavy loads.

another thing ill pitch out for the future, is a hydraulic up/down/float cat1 3 point hitch system. on that i would hang a european style logging buttplate sorta like farmi and wallenstein winches use.. the choker plate and lift are great for dragging in a ton of smaller wood at once.

i would build hitch the same as youd find on a old belarus tractor. one cylinder is fine if its central and extends to raise. same for a grapple.. no need for 2 cylinders on a small machine, its just added expense. round tube is superior to square tube in torsional loading and diameter offers more strength than wall thickness.

general thoughts on ballast are to make your added weight be functional weight.. not just suitcases clanging around. theyre the most expensive weight you can find. always start in the tires. then a front blade, add a grapple or root rake to that..or loader. a front toolbox or utility crate for chain, gas and saw.. a heavy rops with big tube sweeps.. u can fill them with cement if needed. concrete is always the cheapest weight.. $4 for sixty pounds. but why use concrete if u can grab another piece of wood that needs hauling anyway in a grapple blade?

anyhow.. keep pluckin away. im just as broke as you are.. junkyard is the source of all the gems you need. i got a part time job at one to keep the materials flowing. sell firewood, buy scrap. those markets are heavily in your favor right now.

MCB,
Wow thanks for all the advice! Lots of good info and thoughts, and a tough looking 140 that thing is moving a lot of wood at once! Don't let the purists see those fenders lol. Nice fab work on that grapple blade too! Yea I guess you could say I'm taking my time, this thing has barely gotten anywhere lately. It's OK. One thing at a time.....

the purists can sit at home cutting their lawn with cuticle scissors between uploading hubcap pics on WFM and MTF while us men go get the work done. mine was scrapped and i rescued it, the tin and pto coupler went off to restore other machines so my penance has been done.

i forgot to stress, winches and or winch pulleys as high and far forward as possible. every inch behind the tires you go comes with a tipover penalty on these small machines.

the purists can sit at home cutting their lawn with cuticle scissors between uploading hubcap pics on WFM and MTF while us men go get the work done. mine was scrapped and i rescued it, the tin and pto coupler went off to restore other machines so my penance has been done.

i forgot to stress, winches and or winch pulleys as high and far forward as possible. every inch behind the tires you go comes with a tipover penalty on these small machines.
Bahahaha!!!! Right there with you, these things were meant to work, you're not trashing it. I really like those fenders on yours anyway. Saw a 110 with fiberglass fenders they said brought $4200 un-restored at auction cuz the glass fenders were super rare. That's ridiculous. I'm on MTF but I don't do a whole lot on there...

Now that I've got the Vermeer I don't think I'll use my Lawn Boy for forestry work, now it's a home body, use it for firewood ops, moving splitter, trailer and logs around here to stage them where needed. I'm anxious to get busy on the Vermeer but it's waiting on money mostly. Gotta rebuild the front end in my truck and just ordered new tires for it. Then at that point extra money can go to the Vermeer but if it ever quits raining here in tropical Indiana, I need to catch up on firewood work. I have lots to do! I need the Vermeer for one job, but he's got nothing but time, he wants trails made for his jeeps and ATVs.

well im sure i aint the only one who wants to see it dragging cords soon, but i know dodges ...youll be broke for a long time!

i suspect if you get the ballast, traction and winch details right (read high lift angle) that the vermeer will pull a hitch comparable to a 350 dozer with a low mount winch. you got the weight, hp amd gear reduction. but we wont know till someone builds it!

i cant tell you ive gotten a strain gauge and measured pull at different angles but i can say butt height is the difference between whether i can or cant pull it. maybe 20-30% more wood if you can get it up a foot.

Your killing me smalls! Dodges are the best truck ever made if it comes with a Cummins! Why? Cuz Chevy frames break in half and Ford wouldn't know a good gas engine if gm gave it to them and a power choke can't be considered a diesel engine because a diesel should be reliable and easy to work on lmao.

Anyhow, at 316,600 miles I think the ol goat deserves some ball joints and a tie rod end.

On the Vermeer, the rear is locked, the front is not. It may be a limited slip but it's not locked full time.

Your killing me smalls! Dodges are the best truck ever made if it comes with a Cummins! Why? Cuz Chevy frames break in half and Ford wouldn't know a good gas engine if gm gave it to them and a power choke can't be considered a diesel engine because a diesel should be reliable and easy to work on lmao.

Anyhow, at 316,600 miles I think the ol goat deserves some ball joints and a tie rod end.

Dont knock my Power Choke. 300k miles and still going strong. i have patched enough chevy frames to agree with you on that one though.

Dont knock my Power Choke. 300k miles and still going strong. i have patched enough chevy frames to agree with you on that one though.
All in good jest dear Sir! Lol I've had a couple chokes, not my cup o tea. Nothing wrong with Ford as a truck though, they're good and solid. Just like a Dodge better personally. I've had lots of Dodges all served me very well.

Finally got caught up on firewood enough to get back on this project. I got my hydraulic woes sorted out, some moron had tried to be a hydraulic plumber and had a couple lines crossed causing a dead head. Got that sorted out and I have power steering finally! Today I picked up a hydraulic winch and mast from an old wheel lift wrecker. Chevron Renegade was the bed. It is worm gear drive and has a release clutch for free spooling. Perfect! I had some lines that fit my valves and connections on the winch. It's quite a bit slower than I was hoping for. It's just sitting there with vice grips and ratchet strap at the moment. I'll weld it on at the bottom and then make a cross member with tabs to tie it into the old cylinder mounts behind the seat. Likely will cut the mast off just above the winch, at the future cross member. Or I'll just shorten it and use the top as cross member. It has a pulley in the top center which allowed the cable to be routed out along the wheel lift boom. In these pics we had already turned the winch around so the motor is inside and protected instead of facing the rear. I need to build a roller fairlead and stinger for it to mount on. Wanting to keep that not much higher than the winch due to this having such a short wheel base I want to limit the leverage the log will have. Still tossing ideas about. Also will be adding steel log bumper/ fenders on the rear. Need to sort out some wiring and add gauges, get it charging etc. And re-install the blade and build a cage for safety. And a cargo area for saw, fuel, tools cables etc.
So excited to make progress on this thing! Been looking forward to getting it done enough to use this fall! Got work lined up for it!
28ac942f9c57ee585ad6e190ac958366.jpg
355a3262eb1b6d8b0371a3aee70d6137.jpg
9620f1bf470d87117913481f0c5904e9.jpg
5cc8488c16788a65806ba80b6ff9781b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

well im sure i aint the only one who wants to see it dragging cords soon, but i know dodges ...youll be broke for a long time!

i suspect if you get the ballast, traction and winch details right (read high lift angle) that the vermeer will pull a hitch comparable to a 350 dozer with a low mount winch. you got the weight, hp amd gear reduction. but we wont know till someone builds it!

i cant tell you ive gotten a strain gauge and measured pull at different angles but i can say butt height is the difference between whether i can or cant pull it. maybe 20-30% more wood if you can get it up a foot.
I didn't wanna go any higher due to short wheel base of this thing and that it'll be on hills quite a bit. Is 4' high enough?
b5a688e9967d5e4fdd0bfbe06473c0ab.jpg

Bigblue12v. I have to ask about the name is for older 12 valve cummins? I have a mildly built blue 97.
Had this one years ago, the screen name just stuck.. 96 fully built 5 speed with South Bend dual disc , 12" custom built long arm lift, custom cross over steering, 46" Michelin XL military tires, enough fuel, timing and air to spin 1050 tq and 450 HP at the wheels with 39.5" Iroks on it.
0e745ba86ae1be285a7d7a48dd89b668.jpg

Had this one years ago, the screen name just stuck.. 96 fully built 5 speed with South Bend dual disc , 12" custom built long arm lift, custom cross over steering, 46" Michelin XL military tires, enough fuel, timing and air to spin 1050 tq and 450 HP at the wheels with 39.5" Iroks on it.
0e745ba86ae1be285a7d7a48dd89b668.jpg

I have a rust free 96 two wheeler five speed. I bought with the intention of finding an old coe to put on the frame. The 96 runs like a top with 435,000 on her. I have more projects than time.

How about log splitter in place of the old trencher boom?
Because I'm skidding logs out and onto trailer to take back to my yard, if I was splitting in the woods I wouldn't need a skidder lol. 4 cylinder diesel is quite a waste for a splitter. The splitter would get in the way of the winch big time and serve me no use at all really. The hydraulics aren't being wasted. The winch is hydraulic, front blade is hydraulic and I'm hoping to adapt a front end loader to this machine in the future. No worries.

I have a rust free 96 two wheeler five speed. I bought with the intention of finding an old coe to put on the frame. The 96 runs like a top with 435,000 on her. I have more projects than time.
Sounds like a sweet project! Miles are just a number with these things. My current truck is an 04 3500 5.9 out of Louisiana (rust free!) With 321k. No leaks pretty much no blow by. Good clean unit. I definitely understand more projects than time! Big problem here too!

I would not be afraid to buy one of those motors with more miles. I really want to get a one ton eventually for pulling my stuff around and for a camper hauler. I also have a 1940 two door Chevy that I want to trhow one of my 12 valves in. Progress is slow on that one too. Gpx433Todd picked that one up for me and it sat at his place for several months before I was able to drag it to my place and there it sits again. Still loved with plans just no time.

Way too many projects lol but at least they're cool ones!

Took a few days off work last week to bust out some real work! Refurbished my recently acquired project gooseneck trailer, which entailed new lights, wiring, tongue reinforcing, replacing the bent coupler tube, adding traction lugs on dovetail, adding deck frame, paint and new poplar deck boards. Also got quite a bit done on the skidder! Got the cage built (not done adding safety screen to it though), fabbed up a missing lower control arm bracket for the blade and got it installed and plumbed up, turned front wheels around the right way, built a 3/8" log bumper with receiver hitch, fabbed up fairlead rollers for the winch, I built them from scratch. .250" wall 2.5" tube with ball bearings and 1" shaft. Very very happy with how these came out! The winch is plumbed in and working, discovered that a 2 gallon can fits perfectly on the left of the winch and a 1 gallon (will use for bar oil) fits perfect on the right side. These fit perfectly snug enough to not bounce out but easy to grab! I've yet to find a good place to mount a tool box. I switched out the tall suspension seat for a low one with a seat belt, made a floor pan since one side was missing, notched out the steps to wrap around the cage uprights, we made some saw scabbards I mounted on the back, these are made from 3/8" thick plastic and are quite sturdy! Yesterday picked up a couple gliders with tear drops and choker hooks, used a chain I had to make a choker 7.5' long and the other is around 6' long. I used a chunk of 1/2" plate as a glider stop before reinstalling my winch hook. The hook may have been a bad idea as it may grab limbs or brush but I hope not as it will be handy for many uses.

Still on the to-do list:
Rewire machine and add lights
Finish cage screen
Add a solid roof
Get brakes working
Fill tires with fluid
Maybe find chains for front tires
Build some diggers for the blade that will add holding power when winching
Add log grapple to blade
Mount tool box, maybe on top of blade frame up front. Seems inconvenient I'd rather have on the rear. Thought about above winch but I wanna keep visibility open to see the hitch area.
Maybe add another glider or two.
Later on I'll repaint the machine.

Whew! It's pretty much usable now though. Basically it has enough wiring to start. No charging no glow plugs no gauges. I'll be fixing all that in time.

Couple of shots of the gooseneck trailer and one of a smaller log trailer I built a couple weeks ago it's a 7,000# good for residential job or could pull down trails with skidder to a remote landing. I parbuckle all my logs with winch onto truck or trailer.
36538e1983a9977967e1b9e15ecfeb77.jpg
b25d6fd3b2b5bbf653d7c5ffd03a60fa.jpg
2d0851edf0efcb107ace5f34c5fe92e5.jpg
087f176ed05283e3bd40fc83dcf70605.jpg
9ae318c85123f11ef88b7809189744e3.jpg
b93f28b9a7109485ac758414b174ee62.jpg
264c1b2b2f9366a28891e2de45ad131c.jpg

Latest posts

Back