Triangular Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wouldhe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Several years ago my father gave me a wood splitting wedge with three sides instead of the usual shaped two sided wedge. The thing was a great splitter, split each piece into three pieces instead of two. You could just stick it right into the piece to be split by hand since it had a pointed end instead of the flat end of a regular wedge. Well it is still in the woods somewhere and I sure would like to have another but I can not find one anywhere. Anyone kinow where to find such a wedge? :cheers:

Found 'em

I found one at Northern Hyd. for $9.99. It's pretty close to the triangular one and they are in the USA, the others were only available if you lived in the UK and the price was sky-high .

Got one

I got one of the wood grenade log splitters, going to put it to the test this weekend as We have some Beech rings measuring about 36inches in diameter to split up. Let you know how it fairs...

I purchased a four-way wedge at the woodworker site. The price was right and it works pretty good though not as good as the triangular one of yore. Easy to set in the wood and I like the way it splits. :clap: Thanks for all the info.

I got mine right at the local walmart for less than $10 I think. They had the regular wedges and these. That was a 4 or 5 years ago but i am pretty sure they still have them. They are where they keep the Pullons, axes mauls and stuff.

I bought one of the "diamond" shaped ones at TSC a few days ago...it's more like 4 sides that come to a point, but it looks like the roughneck one. It works ok, it's easier to get started than a regular wedge, but it has to be in a lot deeper to start to crack the wood open. Another thing I found, and I wanted to video it because I've never had it happen with a regular wedge, the thing will pop right out of the wood. I was using it on a piece of hickory and the thing popped out about 6 inches above the wood and fell to the ground....then it did 2 more times!

Latest posts

Back