trimmer string

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkies

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since I refuse to use the search function, and would like to hear some good opinions.

What trimmer sting do you like,or use and why???

I use Sawtec 2.4mm square primeline, It wears well cuts well and is £35 for 360 meters so lasts most of the year!

Ive tried 2.4mm Oregon Nylium aquare and it works well.

Stihl line is very soft and the 2.4mm is only 2.2mm?????

Forget quiet line, Round line and pent or starline go for square its way more aggressive than the others.

3mm works well but can sap a little power out of the machine, Unless your using a FS450:)

If this post isn't what you're seeking, then I humbly beg thy pardon. I use Stihl's PolyCut when edging next to concrete and really like the wear opposed to normal line.

Just my experience,

ole joat

No matter how simple Your posts are always appreciated

Thanks for the input joat

So how well does the poly cut last I thought that those plstic blades wouldnt hold up well to concrete abrasion

Last edited:
Kinda off topic for this forum or site. There are other more lawn oriented web sites where this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Bottom line on trimmer string amongst most professional landscapers is to use whatever you can get for the cheapest price. Echo crossfire available at your local home despot is consistently ranked amongst the best. Just one fools opinion.

No matter how simple Your posts are always appprecited

Thanks for the input joat

So how well does the poly cut last I thought that those plstic blades wouldnt hold up well to concrete abrasion

They hold up very well when trimming driveway/sidewalk edges. The thing I like is the there is slow, even, wear across the 3 plastic blades. I replace the blades about at a frequency when I'd have filled the string 3 or 4 times. I've tried many different strings and none satisfied me on concrete. Another advantage is that the slow gradual wear means you are very accurate on edging since the diameter of the cutting instrument is very precise. Also, no out-of-balance on the shaft due to one string breaking off early.

The plastic replacement blades can be purchased in quantity and aren't very expensive. You change 'em with a, now remember this is a Stihl product, 27 mm torx.

Good luck,

ole joat

Last edited:
Kinda off topic for this forum or site. There are other more lawn oriented web sites where this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Bottom line on trimmer string amongst most professional landscapers is to use whatever you can get for the cheapest price. Echo crossfire available at your local home despot is consistently ranked amongst the best. Just one fools opinion.

Off topic! On AS! Wow! Hard to believe!

The topic was clearly stated in the thread title and had remained on topic through 5 posts. Because it's a holiday weekend, I'm not gonna bust your balz.

ole joat

Last edited:
Thanks joat

Are the replcement blades a stihl product or have you found a way around your local dealer

Oh Yeah Im not on any lawn and garden sites I spent my time here with people I trust

Thanks joat

Are the replcement blades a stihl product or have you found a way around your local dealer

Oh Yeah Im not on any lawn and garden sites I spent my time here with people I trust

There are a Stihl item, but a decent price. I've purchased a bag of 50 on eBay.

ole joat

depends on the engine

25 cc .095 echo srm2601

34cc .105 echo srm340

brand echo cross fire cuts fast and clean:clap:

Was talking to the Stihl dealer a while back about the trimmer line and sort of makes sense what he said... Once the trimmer head gets up to speed, doesn't matter what line you're running in it. It's gonna cut. So, he said the pros just get whatever is on sale, like was mentioned earlier in the post. I've wondered about the square or pentagon shaped vs. the round and might just spend a few more bucks next time to see if I notice any difference. Maybe, just maybe.

We use the Husqvarna Titanium stuff for the lawn care business. My brother buys one of those big spools with hundreds of feet on it every couple years. It wears quite well, but isn't as aggressive as the square stuff on things like vinyl siding and fences. I agree that pretty much any line will cut grass and soft weeds equally well, but the square line cuts more woody weeds like big mustard plants or clovers noticeably better.

crossfire

I use echo cross fire. It's sold at the chepot depot, and is of consistent quality. I also find that HD has a high enough turn over that it's not going to get old. A lot of the lines get brittle/performance decreases with age.

I've bought a large bubble pack of no-name brand from the local true value and it sucked. It was completely round and had no bite in tough weeds.

Also, when I am trimming the lawn, I like to keep rpms relatively low because my grass is somewhat fine and high rpms will blow it all down and lead to really uneven trimming. I prefer to trim at a height consistent with the height that I mow at--I see a lot of people taking the easy way out and trimming almost to the ground. At low rpms the crossfire definitely out performs the round stuff.

One $9 pack lasts me two years so I cannot complain.

I use some triangular stuff .105" I bought at Wal-mart in the clearance isle at the end of the season about 10 years ago. it works great till I get into the woody things like blackberry and sawbrier, then it tends to get brittle and break. looked briefly a few days ago but Wal-mart is not what it used to be in regards to selection.I will be watching this thread as I will need to get some new stuff soon. My monster spool is about empty.

Oregon Magnum Square Gatorline, has an Aramid inner core, hands down.

It dont work in universal heads though.

I was converted over to using square line and most of the people i know use square by choice!
When we buy new strimmer heads we remove the round line and discard it.

The line im using now has a X profile more than true square but the true square by the same company is tougher.

The guys that work in the cemetarys around here are the exeption to using square as they use 4mm round for around the gravestones they re-drill the heads but you dont get much 4mm on a universal head!
And a 1.9hp strimmer wont throw much 4mm but jeesh is it tough.

:agree2:
Oregon Magnum Square Gatorline, has an Aramid inner core, hands down.

i use square gatorline also, very tough string, works well in tough weeds and is long lasting, and resits welding,,,,,, i can recommend it

Back