triolean traverse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not sure of the diameter of the two outside trees but may I suggest setting up bull ropes in each outside trees and tie off dead one in the middle. cut dead tree at base leaving it suspended by outer trees and lower it down by cutting sections off the base as it comes down. Sort of a reverse removal from the bottom up. Place lines into dead tree from live ones. If tree is that questionable to climb might think about not climbing it at all and use ropes to lower safely. Of course I have not seen the situation but just offer another suggestion that might help. Be careful

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
we once did a fallen tree in a similar method. the tree had fallen on a building and there was nothing to pull it off. we rigged a line in a tree 2 yards away and went to a building 2 yards the other way.....we needed a 400ft line. we then set a line high on the tree and come-alonged it right off the building then cut the bottom out peice by peice and lowered it down.

i did it another time but on a smaller scale..... when you work in the city rigging gets creative with the buildings.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
there are times that i wish something like that did exist. but something could be fashioned (ie a peice of 4mm cord betreen snap and D ring) i guess, but i've never tried it.

we spoke about this a while back.........in ice climbing we use a thing call screamers instead of quick draws on suspect screw's. they are computer sewn and the threads rip apart so the screw does not take the full impact of the fall. the 8in quick draw rips and becomes a 3ft quick draw......does that make sense?

some thing that rips apart cleanly should be created for hazzard tree removal.

here's a link that will explain screamers alot better. http://www.yatesgear.com/climbing/screamer/

xtremetrees

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Originally posted by Dadatwins
cut dead tree at base leaving it suspended by outer trees and lower it down by cutting sections off the base as it comes down. Sort of a reverse removal from the bottom up. Place lines into dead tree from live ones.

Good technique Data,

KF,
Tom suggest just these things, these screamers to me sometime back. Do you suggest i clip one of these into my steel core flipline?
Our industry sure needs this.
Screamers i like the idea

maybe not!
If the screamer was incorporated into my steel core flip line when that 10 feet log was attached to me it would have released like it is desgined to do putting me further away from the log as I was beign pulled downward. I may not have been able to grab back onto the tree and spike in.

When would the breakaway screamer lanyard be at optimum effecicency.

this conjecture is making me hunger.:)

In any case we still have 1 tree left to trim.
Originally we had two tall trims and one short dead removal in the midst of them.

The only way to do this is after removing the dead middle tree off the tryolean have groundman release left side swing me into right tree. After I trim the right pine, release enuff slack for groundman to pull pully to left side resecure and swing to left tree.

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Hey, Xtreme, I've done exactly what you're saying (I think) and it works just fine. Just make sure the ropes are as tight as you can get em, and don't take too big of a piece. It's gonna bow down, just push the whatever away from you. The first time I did it, the pulley nearly hit me in the head.:(

Then, go home early!:blob2:

I'm sthil curious 'bout that lanyard...

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
xtremetrees

the problem with the screamers is their still a closed loop. so even after the treads rip you basicly have a 26kn loop runner holding you.

what needs to be created is a similar device that will completly rip apart when loaded. the screamers are just an example of what could be used with some modifications.

i've given some thought to modifying a screamer myself.......it would be pretty simple if you think about where to pre cut it. but it's not some thing i could suggest since it's only a theory it would work.

xtremetrees

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
The line we'd use to hook up to the truck and pull that cut screamin apart.
Gosh Do i havea explain picture

Crane man bah! you cant have a breakaway lanyard mike says so

TreeJunkie

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
While we are on the subject of breakaway lanyards and screamers. How many of you use the buckingham bungee breakaway lanyard? I use one and hook it off to my saddle to a yates screamer. I guess i see this as another safety, even though the tear away lanyard should work, the yates is there as a bit of a decelerator. This may not be a perfect setup, however, i had the Yates lying around and it seemed like a decent idea anyhow.

OutOnaLimb

OutOnaLimb

ArboristSite Guru
I still wanna know whats wrong with using a friction saver prusik? If ya need a cartoon pic of it look on page 23 of the 2003 Sherrill Catalog.

Kenn