Trouble cranking a husky 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The saw has so much compression that it scares me to crank the saw. I can't get my foot through the handle hole all the way so when I try to crank the saw it will often flip out from under my foot. I have stepped across the saw and put my heal on the bottom plate of the saw but this is not a fool proof method of starting the saw either.

Once the saw has been cranked and run a little then it is not so hard to crank.

Do any of you guys have any tips on how to crank this unruly saw?

Nice problem to have ... a lot of compression! Maybe a compression release valve would work for you. I've never had a problem holding the handle down with my toe/foot sticking part way through it. But, I've also been able to put my knee on the handle - when I've had to hold the throttle wide open, when working on them (flooded).

I have a 268 with over 190psi compression, no decomp valve, and sometimes it wants to tear my arm off. Stick something through where you would put your foot, like a tree felling wedge, and stand on that.

I have a 268 with over 190psi compression, no decomp valve, and sometimes it wants to tear my arm off. Stick something through where you would put your foot, like a tree felling wedge, and stand on that.

Just rebuilt a 266 and it is a monster too. Usually cranks the first pull though.

I have been thinking about putting a 1" stick through the handle to stand on with both feet. Then all I will have to do is try to make sure that the nose of the saw doesn't try to come up and get me.

Thanks for some ideas.

I have been thinking about putting a 1" stick through the handle to stand on with both feet. Then all I will have to do is try to make sure that the nose of the saw doesn't try to come up and get me.

Thanks for some ideas.

Drop starting it you're less likely to need a replacement o ring. Chain brake on for safety throw away from the shoulders and pull. Safe and happy cutting to you sir :rock:

The Husqvarna 55 should have a decompression release on the right hand side, yours might not have one but if it does press it in then pull it, it should save your wrist from the pain of cranking that heavy joker.

Last edited:
I might be able to drop start it if I threw it toward the ground. The couple of times that I tried to drop start it the saw ended up about neck high and the crank only make one turn.

I am on the edge of being over my head with the compression on this saw. I have recently gotten some chaps. I am going to put my right foot on the bottom of the handle, my left knee on the back of the upper handle, my left hand on the carrying handle and the snatch the cord for all that I am worth. Maybe the chaps will provide enough cushioning for my knee that I can keep the saw held down.

I have been using the saw for a little over a year so I can crank it but I really don't enjoy starting the saw for the first time of the day. So far the saw has not flooded and kicked back. If it ever kicks back on the start it might pull a couple of fingers off.

You gotta be kidding me, the only saw that I had to use the compression release on was a certain 390xp that a particular masterminded saw builder built. I forgot to press that lil blue button and I think pieces of my fingers are still on that pull cord. :laugh:

Sounds like something might be wrong. A 53cc saw should not resist that much even with top notch compression.

Timing Issue?

My little 51 with the Meteor Piston is on the verge of 165lbs.:rock: Thats with the Base gasket.I never use a Compression release but I'm thinking of Installing one.:laugh: I'm Planing on measuring the Squish and Removing the base Gasket then Installing a 028 Super Domed piston.Heard of the 028 piston being done.Just need to order one and see how it will work.

Check your compression, as stated earlier, something may be wrong. My Husky 55 has a compression release but I never use it. Shouldn't pull that hard. If you struggle with it, I would suggest getting a saw more manageable for you. Sounds like a hazard to you from what you described.

The Husqvarna 55 should have a decompression release on the right hand side, yours might not have one but if it does press it in then pull it, it should save your wrist from the pain of cranking that heavy joker.

The 55 doesn't have a de-comp valve, at least mine doesn't. A de-comp is a good idea on just about anything bigger than 50cc. It protects the starter mechanism as well as your arm.

The 55 doesn't have a de-comp valve, at least mine doesn't. A de-comp is a good idea on just about anything bigger than 50cc. It protects the starter mechanism as well as your arm.

I beg to differ. Mine does and so does the other three I generally work on every spring. There on the side (not sure which though) my 55 Also has compression but no so much I have to use the decomp for it though!

I beg to differ. Mine does and so does the other three I generally work on every spring. There on the side (not sure which though) my 55 Also has compression but no so much I have to use the decomp for it though!

I'll check it again in the morning. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the 55. I have 3 other Huskys that have the valve. I'm assuming it would be on the right side above the clutch cover with a little blue knob on it.

I did look at an IPL for the Husky 55. Apparently some come out with the de-comp valve and some are equipped with a plug, pt. no. 503 55 22 01.

Last edited:
I'll check it again in the morning. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the 55. I have 3 other Huskys that have the valve. I'm assuming it would be on the right side above the clutch cover with a little blue knob on it.

I know my buddy big-bored his old 51 to a 55 and the bigger jug had a decomp on it.. And its a similar vintage husky oem jug.
I agree that something doesn't sound right though.

I know my buddy big-bored his old 51 to a 55 and the bigger jug had a decomp on it.. And its a similar vintage husky oem jug.
I agree that something doesn't sound right though.

I've been looking at pics of the 55s and I noticed that some of the clutch covers cover up the area where the de-comp would be. I'm assuming those would have the plug instead of the de-comp.

Latest posts

Back