trouble with predator 346 cc engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arlen

Me and my wife at Wild Amimal Park San Diego
Reaction score
Hello, I am having problems using my gasoline engine I bought it at a sidewalk sale so I can not return it.

Predator 346cc item number 681136

Here is what it is doing.

Sometimes it is difficult to start than once it starts it stalls.

When the engine warms up the governor makes the engine pulsate idle up and down, this kills the engine after a minute.

It is difficult to start most of the time I need to wait a few minutes to try and restart it.

I need to constantly adjust the choke to try and keep it running it will not run with the choke all the way open.

Some linkage causes the choke to open and close killing the motor.

My application is a wood splitter.

It has fresh gas.

I checked and cleaned the air filter.

I removed and reinstalled the carborator looking for an obstruction.

I live in California so it is carb compliant.

:confused:

I can't help you with your problem but I hope you get it figured out, I just bought a new one still in the box for my splitter.
Did you buy it new? I would think if it's still under warranty that HF would take it back. At least I would squawk until they did!

I had one behave similarly to that, and returned it. Cleaned carb several times, would start (often took a few pulls, my new one starts more easily), run OK until it warmed up, then would miss and hunt for a minute and die. Wait for it to cool for 5-10 minutes, repeat, but as soon as it was warm, it would shut down. I cleaned the carb three times and put in fresh name brand 89 or 93 octane gas.

I had the "2 year replacement plan" on mine, so I swapped it out for a fresh one. What I believe is that I either a) had a defective electronic ignition, b) had a malfunctioning oil level shutoff, or c) the synthetic 10W30 I put in there was too slick for the oil shutoff, causing it to shut down. In retrospect, I wish I had tested the oil sensor before I returned it. Oh, well.

The stumbling sounds more like fuel or ignition than a faulty oil level sensor, but those are the things I'd check.

Good luck!

did you clean the carb? old nasty gas/water in the bowl.
how is the fuel line? cracked, twisted, obstructed, maybe there is a fuel shut off that you didn't open?

First thing... replace that cheap Chinese spark plug (unless you already have) and report back.

Doubtful that "the governor makes the engine pulsate idle up and down"... more likely the governor is trying to keep the engine running as the plug is intermittently failing.

Last edited:
First thing... replace that cheap Chinese spark plug (unless you already have) and report back.

Doubtful that "the governor makes the engine pulsate idle up and down"... more likely the governor is trying to keep the engine running as the plug is intermittently failing.

That's what I was thinking. Chock it up to non-existent Chines Quality Control. Hope ya get it figured out.

replace the plug

Boy, I hope so that would be simple.

I removed the carburator and drained the float bowl the gas looked and smelled clean. The engine looks like brand new no kinks in the fule line or wiring that I can see. I will replace the plug tomorrow and try it out. thanks for the input.

You need to clean the pick up ( for lack of a better term) that extends into bowl. Likely there is a float and in some cases you have to careful how you reinstall the bowl or it blocks the float. depending on how the bowl is held on. that nut or small brass fitting might have 2 very small holes in it , one horizontal the other is vertical and centered. It leads down to the horizontal one. it takes a very fine piece of wire to clean it out as this is the one that is usually plugged from old gas or dirt. Another area that can cause a problem is if it has a priming bulb the material does dry out and crack causing a loss of vacuum in the carb. Fuel line can become soft and gummy from the bad gas we are supplied with now days and can collapse under suction or just dis-integrate internally. give as much of the fuel supply line as you can get fingers on and give it the squish test. if an area feels softer than the rest replace the line as it is bad. Make sure ( if it has one ) that the fuel filter is not plugged up as well if in doubt replace it. Finally do not trust the dip stick as to weather the oil is full as there seems to be one universal dip stick for all engine sizes, oil should be up to just below the casting where the dip stick enters or other fill port if so equipped. From your description I would say you have a carb problem.

You could always take advantage of HF's unofficial return policy. That is, go buy a new one and return the old one later. Some would argue that it is unethical which I can't deny. I will point out that it is also unethical to put something out for sale that you have a good idea doesn't work and then say no backsies. Just saying...

It sounds like it is either an ignition or fuel (lean) problem. As others have said replace the plug, if that doesn't fix it then try disabling the low oil switch. If that doesn't work then I would inspect the carburetor further paying close attention to the fuel pickup and jet. If that doesn't work or seems like too much trouble then consider my first suggestion.

What you describe sounds like an extremely lean running condition to me. I have actually reamed out the jets on some of these type of carburetors, incrementally, until they run right. There is really no other carburetor adjustment.

We had close to the same problem with a Honda power fan at the FD. I cleaned the carb, drained old gas, and checked oil because of the low oil shut off. Guess what, the plug was bad. Replace it and report back.

Had a similar incident with one and it turned out to be a flake of metal partially lodged in the main jet. I also have observed on those engines that the float valves like to stick due to poor manufacturing tolerances, they can be refitted with a gentle hand polishing.

changed spark plug

Ok I replaced the spark plug with an NKG spark plug, it did not make a differience. The engine started up than just died after a minute. I have never worked on a carburator sucessfully. Could it be the coil ? I checked the oil yesterday it was full. I could check out bypassing the low oil cutoff. David

I'm with the rest here, it's starving for fuel. That's why playing with the choke helps. I wouldn't replace or screw with anything else until you know that carb is right. If you aren't familiar with carb work, it may be worth it to pull it off, have the local small engine shop check it out. They shouldn't charge much at all to do that for you.

OK... a couple of questions...
In your original post you said it "pulsates" up and down at idle "after engine warms up". Is that just at idle or even throttled up? And if it's only at idle, is it after the engine has been throttled up?
You said after you replaced the plug it "started up than just died after a minute." Was that at idle or throttled up?
If you don't throttle it up at all, how long will it run at idle?
And when do you have to start playing with the choke to keep it running? Right away or after it's been throttled up? Just at idle, or just throttled up? What if you start it at idle, and just let it idle?
And finally, in your original post you said you, "need to wait a few minutes to try and restart it". How does it start cold?

Wait a minute...even if you did buy this thing at a (HF?) sidewalk sale, I assume it's new, take it back for warranty! Unless you bought it AS- IS, then, see my previous reply.

I'd bring it back... but if you insist, sounds thermal or fuel.

Plenty of advice already for the carb, that's where I'd go after the typical thermal culprits - coils and vacuum.

Check for spark right away when it starts happening. Try an inline tester if you've got one, cheap enough to have on hand.

Is it starving for fuel before the carb? Maybe run with the gas cap loose or off, see if you have a vacuum lock condition. Sounds like too short a period of time but who knows. Might be a plugged breather hole in the cap.

Good luck.

One more thing you can do to see if it's fuel related. If it has a foam air cleaner, soak it with gas,(some, not a ton) see how it acts, should run rich, and it won't like choke. If no foam filter, put a little gas in a spray bottle, spray some in the throat of the carb with the air cleaner off, try to start it, if it starts, see if you can keep it running by keeping your sprayer going. Careful, with the air filter off, if it backfires out the intake, you'll get a face full of fire! If it likes being bottle fed, ya gots a fuel related issue, more than likely, something plugging up a passage in the carb.

Last edited:
Definitely carb issue since altering the choke changes the running characteristics. I do alot of small engine work as a side-gig/hobby. Most modern small engine come from the factory running so lean I'm surprised they run at all. It's an easy fix. Remove the main jet and emulsifier tube. Use wire (NOT drill bits) and very lightly ream all the holes. A little bit makes a big difference.
Unfortunately, most small engine shops will not/can not do this (it's considered emmissions tampering as it makes the engine run richer than intended - thank you EPA and CARB). Find a buddy who knows small engines or perhaps mail it to someone for modification.

OK... a couple of questions...
In your original post you said it "pulsates" up and down at idle "after engine warms up". Is that just at idle or even throttled up?
No it just died while it was idoling And if it's only at idle, is it after the engine has been throttled up?
After the engine warms up and it dies it is still difficult to start.
You said after you replaced the plug it "started up than just died after a minute." Was that at idle or throttled up? at idol.
If you don't throttle it up at all, how long will it run at idle? about a minute
And when do you have to start playing with the choke to keep it running? Right away or after it's been throttled up? when it was trhoddled up or at idol. Just at idle, or just throttled up? What if you start it at idle, and just let it idle?
And finally, in your original post you said you, "need to wait a few minutes to try and restart it". It starts cold ok it It does not start well after it stalls.How does it start cold?

Mixed in post

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back