Troy Bilt log splitter cylinder issue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I didnt bookmark them after deciding to junk the splitter and buy another model. Just Google "TroyBilt logsplitter replacement cylinder" and you will turn up quite a few.

I have the Craftsman version of this splitter and it has served me well for a number of years. Curious if anyone has come up with a modification to this splitter....maybe some kind of support for the back of the cylinder or something like that...to make it a safer design. Or maybe reducing the splitting force to around 18 - 20 ton range to help the design last longer. I know there are some pretty talented people on this forum and maybe a fix/mod could be found that would make this a better splitter.

I kinda feel like selling it to some other guy knowing what I know would be kinda low so maybe spending a couple hundred bucks to a qualified welder or ??????? would be worth it.

Thanks

Any splitter, no matter who makes it should hold up to at least it's maximum force.
If the thing is designed to have a force of 35 ton, you should be able to put a rock in there, if it can't break it, the ram should stall and not break anything.
These TB splitters that break the trunnions off are just very poor design.

Hard wood, or knotty wood should not hurt any splitter that's made worth a damn.

I agree totally about it should have been designed properly from the get go.

but......It seems...at least for now that mtd/troybilt/sears/cub cadet/yard machine/......and whoever else put their name on this splitter isn't going to do anything about the major flaw with the splitter so again maybe someone with some talent and has one of these splitters can come up with a way to make it better/stronger etc...

And then when you come up with the fix share it with all of us :)

The best reason I have read on why this log splitter fails is that the hydraulic cylinder gets at a slight angle under a hard push thus overloading one trunion and if this is done enough times or under an extremely hard split it may/will cause the cylinder to fail. So when one trunion lets go it will not only wreck the cylinder it will also possibly wreck the trunioun mount.

Maybe there is some way that a person could support the back of the cylinder somehow....

Kinda interested to see what someone can come up with.

I have been looking at the speeco website at their log splitters and was wondering if a person would be able to modify a troy-bilt log splitter hydraulic cylinder to mount in the rear like a speeco splitter does. In that could you weld two mounting tabs on the back of the cylinder and then extend the beam on the troy-bilt design and mount it with a pin in the back like the speeco?

Maybe I didn't explain that all to well but just check out the speeco website and look at their log splitters and how back of the cylinder is mounted.

Still just wondering if anyone can come up with a good mod for this splitter to make it better.

Here is a picture of the mount area on the cylinder that the Ariens 27 ton splitter uses. (half beam design). As you can see, from the factory, they beefed up the area around the mount - similar to the collar others have used.

View attachment 190814

Last edited:
I have been looking at the speeco website at their log splitters and was wondering if a person would be able to modify a troy-bilt log splitter hydraulic cylinder to mount in the rear like a speeco splitter does. In that could you weld two mounting tabs on the back of the cylinder and then extend the beam on the troy-bilt design and mount it with a pin in the back like the speeco?

Maybe I didn't explain that all to well but just check out the speeco website and look at their log splitters and how back of the cylinder is mounted.

Still just wondering if anyone can come up with a good mod for this splitter to make it better.

The advantage of the TB design is you get the same stiffness with less than half the iron. To extend it you would basically have to throw away the TB and start new.

The TB seems to be a good, sturdy design but there have been a few cylider/mount failure. Is it a good design? I think so. Was there compromies made for the production model. Yep. Best would have been a commercial yoke mount cylinder instead of modifying one. We used a few in building huge agricultural fertilizer/ chemical sprayers (biggest was one 120 ft one. Not a success :).

Harry K

I like my Troybuilt. No issues. Used Harbor Freight 20% off coupon at Lowes. Total was $1130 out the door. Great splitter so far.
Same here! Got ours in '08, father same splitter in '07. We've probably split 50 cords and my father probably 25-35. No issues yet except broken bolts on cradle. Have the Honda 160 motor and it starts and runs great. Been lucky I guess.

I have been burning wood for a couple of years now and have trolled this sight off and on since then and have been thinking of buying a wood splitter. The wife finally relented and agreed to loosen the purse strings. A buddy of mine had the 27 ton LS model and swore by it, so I did very little research and decided this was the one for me. Typical of me i googled it after having it for a couple days and what I started to realize was that I had made a mistake. Long story short I took it back to Lowes this morning and to there credit they refunded my money with no hassle at all. Troy Bilt (MTD) had better fix this issue as well as some P.R. if they hope to keep selling them. I am thankful for this sight and the guys on it. I am not much of a poster but if guys keep posting, getting the word out, maybe T.B. will recognize they have a real issue on there hands. I am probably going to Farm and Home and buy the 28 ton Speeco.

Thanks,
Tmoto

Here's a little tip, stay away from anything made by MTD and they make many brands of power equipment.

I have been burning wood for a couple of years now and have trolled this sight off and on since then and have been thinking of buying a wood splitter. The wife finally relented and agreed to loosen the purse strings. A buddy of mine had the 27 ton LS model and swore by it, so I did very little research and decided this was the one for me. Typical of me i googled it after having it for a couple days and what I started to realize was that I had made a mistake. Long story short I took it back to Lowes this morning and to there credit they refunded my money with no hassle at all. Troy Bilt (MTD) had better fix this issue as well as some P.R. if they hope to keep selling them. I am thankful for this sight and the guys on it. I am not much of a poster but if guys keep posting, getting the word out, maybe T.B. will recognize they have a real issue on there hands. I am probably going to Farm and Home and buy the 28 ton Speeco.

Thanks,
Tmoto

Well' im not going to bust you balls. I think you did the right choice, it's yours. But' buying American made would be better.

No, it did not fail. As i said, I did very little research. It was kind of an impulse buy. When I did do the research I did not like the internet chatter I was hearing. So, I actually returned it. Look, I know there are probably tens of thousands of these units out there and serve there owners well and the likelyhood of one failing is very small. The bottom line is I did not want the worry and was still in the window that I could return it, so I did.
Mine did fail exactly like you said.My cylinder moved side to side while splitting and it cracked at the trunnion mount.I tried welding it but didnt clean it first so it still leaks.I also need to bend back the cage its in and reinforce the cylinder or cage.I had no idea this was a problem so i didnt know to keep an eye on that particular part/s.This really is a design flaw and could be prevented if you know what to look for

Mine did fail exactly like you said.My cylinder moved side to side while splitting and it cracked at the trunnion mount.I tried welding it but didnt clean it first so it still leaks.I also need to bend back the cage its in and reinforce the cylinder or cage.I had no idea this was a problem so i didnt know to keep an eye on that particular part/s.This really is a design flaw and could be prevented if you know what to look for
That guy hasn't been active since 2015. If the cylinder is broken as you describe. It will be far easier and give peace of mind to replace it. Lots of replacment options.

Back