Troy bilt TB4218CC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamonrye

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a Troy bilt TB4218CC at Lowes. Their closing them out for $95.00 with case and an extra chain. It seemed like a good deal. What do you guys think. Are they good saws? I will not be using it every day maybe a couple of times a month.

As long as you are not planning on cutting a lot of wood with it I sure it will be just fine. If you try and cut 5 cords a year with it you might find that it wears out pretty fast. These saws are intended to be used once in a while by a consumer not by the pros. I also don't believe they would hold up if you were using them to cut wood to heat your home.
my .02
Rob

Troy Bilt was aquired by MTD or some simlar outfit several years ago and in typical corperate raider style they have cheapened the product while raising hype and prices. Another name for it is "selling the name", So-called Troy-Bilt saws being no exception. Left up to me? I would return it while new and take that $95 plus another $60 to a Stihl dealer and purchase a MS170 BUT, for a couple times a year use it might last a few years if you didnt get a dud AND take care to store it properly between uses.

No, cheep junk is cheep junk what ever color you paint it.

Do a cost assessment, one of those 75-100$ saws might only last 50 hours. so the cost is upwards of 2$ an hour for the life of a saw

A 200$ stihl or husky should have a couple hundred hours or many more of life in it, works out less than 1$ per hour. By a pro level saw for 500$ and you may have a saw with a thousand hours of life, cost will be even less per hour.

Not to mention the wasted time and slower cutting you will get with a cheep saw.

How much do you plan to use it? and for how long?

I'm not cutting firewood I'm cutting blanks for the lathe. So it won't be used on a daily basis. Lucky if it gets used every 20 to 30 days. And I have 3 dealers within 10 miles of the house and I have a 2 year warranty. If I could get 5 to 7 years out of it I would be very happy.

Then it will beat the heck out of a hand saw for ya without spending $$$. Happy turning.

Troybuilt

Ham,

I wouldn't worry about it. For the type cutting you're doing it will probably be fine. Keep it maintained and the chain sharp and you'll be good too go. Don't listen to these guys telling you to buy a Stihl MS170 cause it's just as big a POS as the Troybuilt and you'll just be paying for a little more expensive POS. For $100 you can't really go wrong or expect too much.

Zee

troy

I don;t know who makes them but would guess poulan etc so parts should be available even in a saw under a different name. these EL CHEAPO saws are made to fill the market for people in your situation. Rumor has it that epa regs will phase them out and all saw will cost more. remember if you cant Get parts or service when:dizzy: it brakes YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

havvey said:
I don;t know who makes them but would guess poulan etc so parts should be available even in a saw under a different name. these EL CHEAPO saws are made to fill the market for people in your situation. Rumor has it that epa regs will phase them out and all saw will cost more. remember if you cant Get parts or service when:dizzy: it brakes YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

You can not get parts for these saws, they are made by the same company that makes the new 55cc craftsman and the new mc culloch saws:greenchainsaw:
http://www.jennfeng.com/ is who really makes the saws.

havvey said:
Poulan dont even go that low. Troybilt saws say made in TAIWAN. All my poulans have made in USA.

slipknot said:
You can not get parts for these saws, they are made by the same company that makes the new 55cc craftsman and the new mc culloch saws:greenchainsaw:
http://www.jennfeng.com/ is who really makes the saws.

This is completely correct. And don't expect your local dealers to even consider working on them. No one has been supplied with any look up material for the unavailable parts! We turned away a guy last fall who had one of these and he told us that we were the 8th dealer he tried. They are absolutely the worst things on the market today.

That being said, if it runs, and you have a little luck, you might get by with your limited use, but if it breaks, just toss it out.

What would be an equal as far as power and bar length in a Husky or Stihl? It has a 42cc wish it were bigger and a 18" bar.

For the very ocasional user I recommend a Wild Thing. You can find these on sale for about $100 and you can get parts for them. I use one to cut tractors out of crates, it works when we need it to and was free.

hamonrye said:
What is the difference between the Husky 350 and the 455 rancher?

The rancher uses a 3/8 pitch vs. the .325 on the 350, has about 2cc's more and wieghs about a pound more. The 455 is supposed to be built a little stronger for "Farm use". I have never seen where it was worth the extra money to me, not that much more power for the weight, but... I have never run one, just a 350, maybe it is worth it?
Andy

I have bought parts and etc from this dealer with no problems. For what your wanting to do and not breaking the budget, this saw should fit the bill Poulan pro 260 with good Anti-Vibe. Just make sure you get AV on a saw that you plan on doing any extended cut time with, your hand will thank you. You can get parts for it anywhere, internet or dealers that will take the time to order for you. Just use the poulan site and find who does the warrenty work in your area. I have poulans and people will dog you for it. But only one of my saws has more then $100 in it right now and the one little one I did buy new in 1994 has only had one problem since new, the coil went out last year. Put a used coil in and still going. http://cgi.ebay.com/POULAN-PRO-260-...753297923QQcategoryZ79668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Good luck in you choice, its your money. Dont get the LE model either. PP260 only no LE type.

I can't make up my mind. Lowes said that if anything happen in the first 2 years to the Troy and can't be fixed I will get a full refund. As it states on their extended warranty. Should I get the Husky 350 or a Poulan pro or just stick to the Troy???

OK.... My .02

hamonrye said:
I can't make up my mind. Lowes said that if anything happen in the first 2 years to the Troy and can't be fixed I will get a full refund. As it states on their extended warranty. Should I get the Husky 350 or a Poulan pro or just stick to the Troy???

Poulan has been around, and you can usually go to wally world etc. and get an air filter or bar. The Troy.. I tried this winter to get a seal for the hyd. pump on an MTD splitter, went all the way to an engineer at the pump manufacture, got the dimn. but no source, still looking for the right part! What I think it comes down to, no more than you will use this saw, it will last you a long time no matter what, but can you get replacement parts, just the simple stuff even? is the bar an odd type mount? Can you find one, or do you need to buy three now so you can have one in the future? Will you find you like cutting more latter and want to do more with this saw, as I think most on this site have (it's a disease I tell ya!!) Can you use this saw and just throw it away in a year or two if it has issues with no guilt? Or is it better to pony up the money (like I should have, bought the 390, not the 440 I am learning to need) and buy a Stihl 180 (or 170, they sell them for $160 in my neck of the woods all day long) or the husky 350, and be able to get parts for them. I am not neglecting polaul on purpose, I just have not had any experiance with them.
Just my thoughts,
Andy

Back