Troy bilt TB4218CC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hamonrye said:
I can't make up my mind. Lowes said that if anything happen in the first 2 years to the Troy and can't be fixed I will get a full refund. As it states on their extended warranty. Should I get the Husky 350 or a Poulan pro or just stick to the Troy???
I guess I didnt read your post close enough the first time. Since you have already bought the saw and it only cost you $95. Use it for learning on, like carb adjustments, muffler mods etc. I have done the same thing with my saws, if you screw it up you can just toss it or save it for parts down the road and you still are not out crap. Just make sure of your bar and chain types and if they are easy to find or not. Might see what type of air filter you have and if it is easy to find. Just remember if it is the one that is made in Taiwan. Parts will be hard to get now and even harder down the road. Keep us up to date on how the saw turn out for you. Because I havent heard a good word about that saw yet. Good Luck and be safe. :cheers:

Well after some thought I decided to try the Troy last night. Cut like a champ, started with just a couple of pulls but when I put the saw down for 20 to 30 minutes I noticed a puddle of bar oil on the ground. Brand new and it is already leaking. Is this normal? I called Lowes and they gave me a quote on a Husky 350 for $290.00 I went up to the store and had them print it out for me. I am leaning towards returning the saw and coughing up the extra $190.00 and have a saw that I would be confident in owning. Any thoughts??

i can vouch for the 350 i have had 2 and run them beyond there limits and they never failed the best price i have seen is 279 (shipping included) off ebay you will not be disappionted. (i bought one new this spring) they are popular and so are parts. if its any help in 4 years of hard running i never did much other than chains bars and a few plastic parts damage that was no fault of the saw but the operator. the 340/345 is a little cheaper as well god luck. (yes a lot of that time was behind a skidder crew on smaller wood and limbing as they are nce and light:clap: )

Oil puddling on the floor is usually not a good start! Make sure the oil cap is on right, not cross-threaded, easy to do with these new plastic parts. If that is not the problem, I would not hesitate to recomend the 350!! People will say it's the cheapo husky, whatever, I ran mine like a dog and it still starts right up and ceeps going!!!!! Awsome little saw, and you can get parts for it!!!!
Andy

If you are concerned about parts and service, why are you in Lowes in the first place? It sounds like this is your first saw and that you will need some help along the way, and Lowes is useless.

Did you actually buy the extended warranty from them? It sounds great on the cover, but you should read the stuff under " general exclusions" which you haven't yet done or you wouldn't have bought it.

Get the refund and find a good local dealer. Like many guys have said there are lots of models to choose from that are under $200.

Took the troy back and got the Husky 350 and case. Can't wait to gas and oil it up and give her a spin. I also feel better cause I can get parts for it.

hamonrye said:
Took the troy back and got the Husky 350 and case. Can't wait to gas and oil it up and give her a spin. I also feel better cause I can get parts for it.

Great:clap: you will never be sorry.

Well, oil 'puddling' does occur normally on all saws I have ever owned. What happens is your saw is warmed up because you have been using it. The oil pump is pumping oil to the bar/chain while the saw is running. When you put it down after running it, the oil pump is still releasing bar oil thus you will have a puddle of oil after the saw sits for a while.
My Poulan has done this for 11 years I have owned it. I am actually glad to see oil coming out of it after I put it down because I know the oil and chain ARE getting oil.
Oh well, too late because you took the Troy Built back. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Poulan for what you will be using it for. I personally would not have bought the Troy-Built because it wasn't made in USA.

You will probably see some oil puddling from the Husqvarna saw as well when you put it down after extended use.

Spike60 is also right. If you are concerned about service and parts...you ain't gonna get it from Lowes, Home Depot or Sears (unless you have a Sears service center near by). Should have gone to a saw shop where they could help you when you need it. Now you'll have to find a saw shop for service anyways if your Husqvarna needs it.

Update!!
Broke in the new Husky Saturday. Can you say hot knife through warm butter. Or hot saw through hard oak. WOW!! Like a dream! One question from a newbie everytime I restart do I need to choke the saw?

hamonrye said:
Update!!
Broke in the new Husky Saturday. Can you say hot knife through warm butter. Or hot saw through hard oak. WOW!! Like a dream! One question from a newbie everytime I restart do I need to choke the saw?

That should be covered in the owner's manual, but when warm, do not choke the saw, as it will flood it. The choke is only needed for cold starting.

Back