Truck Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buddy thats a nice truck. IS it the HD with the heavy frame a added springs? should be a great work truck

From the research I have done on these trucks it gets a little fuzzy on the difference between the HD2500 and the 3500. This is obviously a real heavy set up but for some reason there is no "HD" in front of the 3500. I believe it is a 9800 GVW whereas the HD2500 is 8600 GVW. When we had it up on the lift I didnotice that the rear springs are quite massive and there is a one leaf overload over the main spring pack.

It should be heavy enough for what I plan to do with it.

The HEPA filter is near the firewall somewhere? My friend replaced his in his Buick and it helped.

If it has one it would be underneath the glovebox. The owners manual should say or you could call a dealer and ask them if it has one. I did a Google search for 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 cabin filter and got all kinds of hits-run about 10 to 15 bucks

Last edited:
From the research I have done on these trucks it gets a little fuzzy on the difference between the HD2500 and the 3500. This is obviously a real heavy set up but for some reason there is no "HD" in front of the 3500. I believe it is a 9800 GVW whereas the HD2500 is 8600 GVW. When we had it up on the lift I didnotice that the rear springs are quite massive and there is a one leaf overload over the main spring pack.

It should be heavy enough for what I plan to do with it.

Often times, the only difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is the rear axle. I've never owned a chevy, but I wouldn't worry about it not having an HD in its name. I would like to think that all 1 ton trucks are HD anyway. Same goes for diesel trucks. The plain jane stock version is HD.

I hope it pans out well for you, but damn, 280,000 miles is a heck of a lot on any vehicle! It amazes me that so many people spend big coin on vehicles with more than 75,000 miles on them. Heck, people think a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles is "low mileage"....

I hope it pans out well for you, but damn, 280,000 miles is a heck of a lot on any vehicle! It amazes me that so many people spend big coin on vehicles with more than 75,000 miles on them. Heck, people think a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles is "low mileage"....

I would never have considered a vehicle with that many miles on it before I saw it and drove it and listened to the amount of constant maintenance that it has had. The simple truth is that in Maine it is hard to find a vehicle in my price range with low miles and no rust. Rust is a real issue here with the road treatments that are used. To me, it is a clean, loaded, rust free truck that everything works on and it sharp looking and has been very well maintained. I could spend the same money on an older truck with lower miles and after 2-3 years it is so rusty that it isn't worth much at all. Rust is more expensive to deal with when it gets out of control than it is to replace a motor, tranny or rear end.

The retail book price on it with the high miles is $14,000. , I am getting it from a private party for $7,000.

Last edited:
There is no 3500HD in the chevys. They did that because they have a 2500 and 2500 hd, with a 1500 hd for a few years. The 3500 is as heavy duty as they make without going to a 4500. The mileage isn't that bad with good maintenance. If you're really interested in how the engine is have them do a compression test and let you observe it.

I had told the owner of the truck that I could do without it for a couple weeks if he needed it while he searched for a truck and guess what................he wants to keep it for 15 days until he flies out to Arizona to get his new truck. Damn, I was hoping for this week..............:mad:

Back