Truck reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What truck do I buy?

• Chevy/GMC 1500

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Ford F150

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Dodge 1500

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Toyota Tundra

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Toyota Tacoma

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Nissan Fronter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nissan Titan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't haul things every day but do have a bad tendency of loading it down........

I brought this home from the quarry last saturday, Braking was fine, 2-3 upshift was understandably slow.

Traveled 7.5Mi of not great roads with 3300lbs, Drove to work on monday.

Nuf said!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Find a good used Tundra

I bought an 04 Tundra last April for 20k. He was the only owner, looking to buy a 1 ton dodge. I got all the maintinence records, running boards, vent visors, bug guard, rhino liner (sprayed on), and a matched canopy. It had just over 26k on the odometer when I got it. My only complaint is that I should have done it sooner. Oh, yeah, and mine is only 2wd. Find one a few years old that has been well taken care of, you can't go wrong. I have seen many owners who are trading them in, but they are looking for 07 Tundras. Talk about loyalty.

for real dependability get a truck with a 12 valve cummins turbo diesel!

for real dependability get a truck with a 12 valve cummins turbo diesel!

Yep. And then the sorry carcass they have enslaved the Cummins too will start rotting away hours after you drive it off the lot.

I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. I hate Dodge pickups. But I love the Cummins.

Sorry I'm better now. I've got to change the heater core in my 2001 2500. In order to do the job I have to completely remove the entire dash. Stupidest GD thing I have ever seen and they have built them like this for years. Buddies 92 was built the same way. In 146,000 miles (owned since 96,000) we've had:

The 6 spd trans completely rebuilt. Sixth gear syncro grenaded in the driveway. That was cheap, thank god it was under a 30 day used warranty!

Both wheel hubs changed @ $325 each and that's just parts.

All ball joints replaced and upgraded track bar installed.

And don't forget the stupid $100 lift pump and the $1600 injection pump that it can destroy faster than a fat kid goes through a case of twinkies.

It just really P's me OFF. We tried to buy the best vehicle going and we are doing major overhauls before 100,000.

Before the dodge we had an 2001 F150 4.6 liter 5 speed. Sickest truck I have ever drove. It would not pull a 16' car trailer with a tractor frame that weighed 1,600 pounds up a hill over 45 mph. And yes, it was properly maintained and running right. My old 87 F150 with a worn out 300-6 would hand that truck it's azz in a basket.

That truck had a nice design feature as well, the individual ignition on each plug. And each one of these $100 coils is highly likely to fail if subjected to any kind of water. Fortunately the Ford engineers saw fit to design the valve covers to mimic a pond and direct any wayward water promptly to the coils. We changed three in 20,000 miles, all pavement miles. The third one went on about twenty minutes before the truck was traded.

Sorry I just had to rant I guess.

But ya 046 is right a 97 twelve valve won't have any of those problems.

My next truck I'm gonna line the wall with truck adds and throw a dart.

Best of luck to ya finding a truck, I won't curse you by making a recomendation.

SmokinDodge, I think you might need to change your username.

smoking dodge... sure sounds like you've had more than your fair share of troubles from your 2001 dodge cummins turbo diesel. :blob6:

general consensus is to stay away from 98.5 to 2002 CTD (24valve)
go for an older 12 valve or 2003 or newer CTD.

if you can find a low mileage 97 CTD, extra cab, 4x4, 5sp (no tranny problems) jump on it! 97 was best year, but any 12valve with under 150k miles are solid. it's not unusual for those to run 450k+ miles.

this is of course assuming one has a need to haul large loads and deliver decent fuel mileage. otherwise a smaller truck like toyota mite be better.

SmokinDodge: My wife has a one year old F150 4x4 with the 4.6 and only 11k miles, it is a state vehicle issued to her. She also feels the engine is way too gutless for the truck. Going up hills with only a little in the bed makes for hard work on highways when the same weight in my S10 with the 4.3 has little problems. If I were to buy a F150 it would be the 5.4 for sure, doesn't cost much more and gas mileage is only 1 mpg less.

SmokinDodge: My wife has a one year old F150 4x4 with the 4.6 and only 11k miles, it is a state vehicle issued to her. She also feels the engine is way too gutless for the truck. Going up hills with only a little in the bed makes for hard work on highways when the same weight in my S10 with the 4.3 has little problems. If I were to buy a F150 it would be the 5.4 for sure, doesn't cost much more and gas mileage is only 1 mpg less.

I must admit that the 5.0 engine in my truck is not as peppy as I expected, but I'm not racing anyone. Plus I don't haul stuff very often. I think I could probably do some mods to get a little more power though. I think there is something of an aftermarket for 5.0s.:D

My S10 is anything but fast with 165 hp, on the other hand it doesn't slow down much with weight at 235 lb-ft torque and how light the body is. I never look at horse power for trucks, its torque that tells me what will happen with a full bed.
Truck Torque
F150 4.6L 294 @4000 rpm
F150 5.4L 365 @3750 rpm
Chevy 4.8L 305 @4800 rpm
Chevy 5.3L 338 @4500 rpm
Ram 4.7L 300 @3500 rpm
Ram 5.7L 375 @4000 rpm
Tacoma 4.0L 266 @4000 rpm
Tundra 4.7L 325 @3400 rpm

But I guess this is off the topic of reliability isn't it? (I have too much time on my hands at work)

SmokinDodge, I think you might need to change your username.

I'll be better once I get the damn heater core changed. And lay off the Jack. :laugh:

I really am pleased with the truck overall despite the parts. I'm getting 15-16 mpg in a 7,000 pound truck (empty) and it's about 300 horse.

We figured the 4.6 would be all right with a manual backing it up. Wrong! Glad to hear we aren't the only ones that thought so. It might be a fine car engine but not so much for a truck.

And here we go!!! I am going o make a lot of folks unhappy!!!
Forget the Tocoma, look at the Tundra, dealer here has a new one with the big six, no cruise, for $19k!
The Nissan is the BEST half ton on the market right now, but you will pay for it!!
What it sounds like you need, is a Ford F-150 with the 4.2l V6. The 4.6 is decent, but the 5.4 is a joke, burns too much fuel for what it does. I got 160k out of mine before it let go. That is VERY VERY VERY hard use, and I won't lie. I have pulled up to a Bobcat 763 skidsteer with a snow plow, two cord of green Oak on a 2k pd trailer and an '86 4x4 Suburban converted to 3/4ton behind it. All of these things have happened more than ONCE, a LOT more!! Keep in mind where I cut wood it's an hour and half drive each way, and it was on the first clutch!! I will not own another Ford gas motor until they pull their heads out and build a real V8 again. But I wouldn't think twice about buying another 4.2!!!!!!

As my current truck is a '95 I was hoping to get something a little newer. While low miles is nice there are a lot of things that can go bad just from time, like RUST!!! Ever since my first car, a '85 Toyota Celica GT, I have despised car cancer. So I noticed four votes for the chevy/GMC and am wondering what people have to say about them.

pils, having sold many of the new silverados i can tell you the feedback i've received has all been positive. one of the main ones is the fuel economy, a noticeable improvement over the previous series.
also,the extended cab doors now open 180*, so you're not "trapped" between the doors anymore.
bruce

Want reliability? You cant go wrong with a chevy or dodge diesel. Chevy 01-04 could be had for $22k or less. Older dodge probably 12-22 k for a 97 up. I'd avoid the 6.5 Chevy's (Pre 2001). Here's a shot of my 02 Duramax. 100k miles, runs like a champ

dmaxwinch.jpg

1/2 tons are for women, so are the semi-floating 3/4 tons, be ashamed of yourselves. Only full floaters are on real pickups.

I meant no offense to the half-ton crew, we all have trucks for individual applications, just curious as to Clearance thought I had a semi-floater in the HD. Nice Eastwood avatar there Rope.

I meant no offense to the half-ton crew, we all have trucks for individual applications, just curious as to Clearance thought I had a semi-floater in the HD. Nice Eastwood avatar there Rope.

Just a general statement, Try hauling a full cord in a 1/2 ton, or 1 1/2 yards of gravel. 1/2 tons have a better ride, get better milage, they are weak though. Understand me now?

Just a general statement, Try hauling a full cord in a 1/2 ton, or 1 1/2 yards of gravel. 1/2 tons have a better ride, get better milage, they are weak though. Understand me now?
Ok but I have a r model Mack to pull with want to call that weak, it is the lady comment that got this going I have three full floating one tons as well and the are strong. However just because a guy drives 1/2 ton he is not a women, and anytime you want to hook up chains I,m ready as I have different trucks for purposes and they pull.

Last edited:
Ok but I have a r model Mack to pull with want to call that weak, it is the lady comment that got this going I have three full floating one tons as well and the are strong. However just because a guy drives 1/2 ton he is not a women, and anytime you want to hook up chains I,m ready as I have different trucks for purposes and they pull.

Whatcha doing with all them trucks? Couldn't you donate a couple to a needy church somewhere? Walking the talk and all that....from other threads, you know.

Latest posts

Back