Truck reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What truck do I buy?

• Chevy/GMC 1500

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Ford F150

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Dodge 1500

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Toyota Tundra

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Toyota Tacoma

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Nissan Fronter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nissan Titan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Whatcha doing with all them trucks? Couldn't you donate a couple to a needy church somewhere? Walking the talk and all that....from other threads, you know.
I am weak and have a collector problem I do not deny but If you don't know what the trucks are for I have gave you too much credit. As far as my donating I help where I can but that is my business. I have to say you are dodging the question, r model weak? I love tractor pull with trucks but no one wants to play.

Last edited:
I am weak and have a collector problem I do not deny but If you don't know what the trucks are for I have gave you too much credit. As far as my donating I help where I can but that is my business. I have to say you are dodging the question, r model weak? I love tractor pull with trucks but no one wants to play.

Macks are not weak, the saying "like a Mack truck". Don't be weak, help your fellow man. C'mon now Rope, you asked for it.

Fact is I am not looking for a truck to use day in/day out as a work truck, this is my personal vehicle. I am looking for a good truck as my all around daily driver with the ability to haul some wood, a cubic yard of top soil, or bed full of mulch. The 4x4 is because of hunting, I hunt on a farm and drive back in to pick up my deer. No way anything but 4x4 is getting back there with the rutted out or grassy hills it has to climb. The 2x4 would have to be one heck of a price for me to consider it.
So what I am most surprised about so far is that F150 is by far the best selling pickup yet the chevy and toyota have more votes.

Last edited:
I'm not a ford guy, but they seem to have the best "built" trucks, and they look ok too. Chevy's i've had problems with inner tie rods, lower ball joints, and rear brake issues. Dodge's, i'd definetly stay away from, unless you get a one ton, but then you'll be putting in u-joints every month. The toyota's and Nissans are well built trucks, the few Titans and Tundra's ive had in here hold up great, but there never off the road to much.

Funny you say that about chevy's TDunk. My S10 has needed two sets of lower ball joints and a set of tie rod ends in the past 60K. You say you are not a Ford guy, what do you like as a mechanic?

Well the fact that you are looking for a hunting vehicle
4+4 is certain you should consider a jeep or smaller 1/2 ton
pickup as in the wood the shorter wheel base the better.
I have a 72 bronco that is excellent for off road and has never
got me stuck. These were the jeep like bronco but a good jeep
hard to beat for off roading and getting to backwoods. I would
say bronco if you were not going to use everyday on highway
and off but, you want a new jeep for combo if you are not
willing to restore the early bronco, the jeep are a good choice as
is short wheel nissan or toytoy there is a lot of good choices.

Last edited:
I am only looking at something with a bed for things like mulch, topsoil, and wood. Living with the pickup bed is just not an option. Seeing as the only 4x4 use it would get is at the hunting farm and my family's cottage in the winter I am not too worried about a short wheelbase. The farmer has a Chevy 1 ton diesel and my dad has a tundra, neither bottom out where we drive around.

I used to think 4x4 was the only way to go as well, but I tell you what, get a 4x2 with an LSD or a locker, and you will go places a 4x4 will only dream of!!! Most 4x4's come with open diffs, that means only two wheels turn, one front, one rear, and they are the ones that turn the easiest!!! Put a locker of some sort in the rear, and you can go anywhere!!!!! Both rear tires turning makes a huge difference!!!!!

got an old toyota FJ60 landcruiser for what you are describing.

my 97 4x Cummins turbo diesel gets me deer hunting with no issues. but I'm not going in really ruff terrain. an extra cab/long bed combo is flat too long for anything serious off road.

Pilsnaman; said:
I am only looking at something with a bed for things like mulch, topsoil, and wood. Living with the pickup bed is just not an option. Seeing as the only 4x4 use it would get is at the hunting farm and my family's cottage in the winter I am not too worried about a short wheelbase. The farmer has a Chevy 1 ton diesel and my dad has a tundra, neither bottom out where we drive around.

I'm a chevy guy at heart ( literally, i have a bowtie tattoo'd on my chest) but the new chevy's don't impress me to much. All the Fords 1/2 tons hold up pretty well save for some tie rod issues, but they usually don't start going bad till about 60,70k. The 3/4 and one tons hold up great except for the tie rod right off the steering box. The '97 to 02 dodge's nead front end parts all the time, and the 03 and up dodge 1/2 tons are even worse. Nissan and Toyota build a nice truck, but everyone around here who has a Titan or Tundra never take them off the highway, so i can't really give you an honest opinion on them. I'd prolly go for the 1/2 ford if i were you. They seem to hold up fairly well, just get one with a 5.4 in it, they get a little thirsty, but the 4.6 is a turd IMO.

I used to think 4x4 was the only way to go as well, but I tell you what, get a 4x2 with an LSD or a locker, and you will go places a 4x4 will only dream of!!! Most 4x4's come with open diffs, that means only two wheels turn, one front, one rear, and they are the ones that turn the easiest!!! Put a locker of some sort in the rear, and you can go anywhere!!!!! Both rear tires turning makes a huge difference!!!!!
My 72 bronco has lock front and back all four I don't know of a two wheel drive that will out perform it off road. Not many four wheel drives will take you where it goes as its so short the back wheels are climbing as soon as front wheels clear.I have had to pull out many people that thought they could follow me !I rebuilt the 302 40 over eldelbrock dual plane intake holly four barrel and msd ignition it has five inch lift with 35 gumbo monster mudders get your two wheel drive and follow me if you can make sure your cell phone is charged so when you get stuck I don't leave you too far behind. :laugh: It also has a bed.

Last edited:
My 72 bronco has lock front and back all four I don't know of a two wheel drive that will out perform it off road. Not many four wheel drives will take you where it goes as its so short the back wheels are climbing as soon as front wheels clear.I have had to pull out many people that thought they could follow me !I rebuilt the 302 40 over eldelbrock dual plane intake holly four barrel and msd ignition it has five inch lift with 35 gumbo monster mudders get your two wheel drive and follow me if you can make sure your cell phone is charged so when you get stuck I don't leave you too far behind. :laugh: It also has a bed.

You kind of missed my point a lot.

You kind of missed my point a lot.
No I got it a posi in a two wheel is a good thing I have one in my
bucket and a one tton also. If I get off road much give me my bronco
around here in these hills easy to get high centered I have pro trails
ten miles away called superlift and early broncs seem like the only comp
for jeeps but they usually have ford drive lines in them and are modded.
I can't compete with the big spenders but do great in slight mod class,
it is fun but I can't afford it as this trail is real extreme! Alot of flatlanders
tear their rigs to pieces in these here hills:laugh: Stock rigs 2 or 4 won't navigate as big rocks and steep hills will cause problems. I wish I had enough bread to super mod say put a 390 or 460 in it and pin the suspension and beef it to a dana sixty instead of the stock 44 and 9 inch then I show the jeeps a ford tailgate brahahahahahahahahahahahah :laugh:

What is it that you dont like about them?

I love the looks of them, and there drive trains hold up pretty good. But for me they ride to low. I've had more than a hand full of 3/4 ton 4x4 6.0L come in with exhaust leeks. The Y pipe is so low that it hangs below the skid plate, when you bottom out, that's the first thing that gets hit. I HATE there parking brake design, great when it's new, but trying to get the rear rotors off after 40K with out ruining the parking brake shoes is about impossible. They went back to drum brakes from '06 on. The only other thing i don't like about chevy's are the ABS systems, once it kicks in, you might as well just hold on and pray cause you have no control when the ABS is engaged. I have two dodge's now, i can't complain two much about them, i haven't had TO many problems. I think Chevy got there heads on straight when the built the '06 trucks, i've seen a fair amount in here and there starting to get some "woods" miles on them and they seem to be doing ok thus far. But most are still under warrenty. Next year i'll be looking for a new truck, and i'll prolly go back to chevys.

I love the looks of them, and there drive trains hold up pretty good. But for me they ride to low. I've had more than a hand full of 3/4 ton 4x4 6.0L come in with exhaust leeks. The Y pipe is so low that it hangs below the skid plate, when you bottom out, that's the first thing that gets hit. I HATE there parking brake design, great when it's new, but trying to get the rear rotors off after 40K with out ruining the parking brake shoes is about impossible. They went back to drum brakes from '06 on. The only other thing i don't like about chevy's are the ABS systems, once it kicks in, you might as well just hold on and pray cause you have no control when the ABS is engaged. I have two dodge's now, i can't complain two much about them, i haven't had TO many problems. I think Chevy got there heads on straight when the built the '06 trucks, i've seen a fair amount in here and there starting to get some "woods" miles on them and they seem to be doing ok thus far. But most are still under warrenty. Next year i'll be looking for a new truck, and i'll prolly go back to chevys.

Now that is how you post an opinion!!!! Great post, good info, and didn't run anybody in the ground doing it, WOW!!!!!

Yeah, good post!

I can agree with some of this (The "E" brake SUX) and the anti can be touchy, but I think that all depends on the tire size. My truck has 265 70's on it and its very reluctant to step out of line, My Bros came with 235 75's and he complained (and got blank stares from me :confused:) Untill I sold him my rims and he put on 265's.

I would rather deal with some issues owing to the low stance (like good highway mileage!) that to deal with the increadibly HIGH bed rails on the dodge and the recent fords. The new ford 9in similar trim to my truck has bed rails that are damn near shoulder height.......WTF????

How do you load something without having to drop the gate? you cant even throw a cooler over the rail without ?????ing up the paint......

Poor design, ment more to "LOOK" the part (copy dodge much?) than be functional IMO.

I wont even address the Dodge......

I've heard people complain about the high bed sides being a pain to load stuff into it. ( IE what RBW said, you have to put the gate down to load anything) and the high bed sides make it a b!tch to parralel park. I never thought about the tires having that much of an impact on the ABS, but it does make alot of sence. And yes, Chevy has a full deck of cards when it comes to MPG. I'm nost sure if it's the low stance, rolling resistence, etc. but they get great gas mileage (all GM's do IMO). My dodge gets 14 average, my old 96 GMC use to get 18 in town, enough said. As of right now i'm not sure what truck i'd get myself. The newer body style fords i've worked on have held up pretty good in the woods, BUT i am a Chevy guy, i just waiting to see if there going to holdl up as well as i think they will. I seriously doubt i'll get another Dodge.

I have owned a F150 and its a great truck just a little on the small side for me. My brother bought his brand new in 1991 it now has 200K and is still running pretty good. I try and sell all my vehicles before the hit 95K miles.

Yeah, good post!

I would rather deal with some issues owing to the low stance (like good highway mileage!) that to deal with the increadibly HIGH bed rails on the dodge and the recent fords. The new ford 9in similar trim to my truck has bed rails that are damn near shoulder height.......WTF????

How do you load something without having to drop the gate? you cant even throw a cooler over the rail without ?????ing up the paint......

i hate to bash my own product but, gm has gone the way of ford and dodge with the high bedrails. they say it's for "increased cargo capacity". that is crap! they did it for the look. at 5'10" i'm not short but i at least want to be able to throw and pick up something out of the back without scratching the bedsides.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back