Truck Tires A/T and M/T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want them narrow and aggressive in snow and mud.
I ain't never been stuck with these.
attachment.php

I will need to replace the tires on my truck next year, I am running Firestone Destination M/Ts on my 5.4L 2003 F-150 and will end up getting 40 to 45,000mi out of them.My gas mileage was hit pretty hard when I put these tires on, I lost 2-3 mpg but I have not been stuck with them yet. So I am wondering what experience others have had with other brands of tires. How much gas mileage did you lose and what kind of mileage did you get out of the tire? I will be looking at both A/T and M/T tires

Kevin

If the M/Ts have a larger diameter than what you had on before they cause your odometer to show less miles.
So maybe your gas mileage isn't as bad as you think.

I previously had a 94 F150 2wd. It had Kelly A/T tires on the rear, and I have to say that they did very well. I did get stuck a few times, but it was normally because I had sunk in far enough to drag the axel, or I was on some slimy ground on a pretty steep incline.

I currenly have a 93 F250 4x4. I run Michilen A/Ts on the front, and Generally Grabbers on the rear. I have no complaints. Only time I've been stuck with them so far I had it in 2wd with 4K of black locust in the bed, and I hit a wet spot and sunk to the axil. I almost made it through, If I had locked the hubs in, I would have been fine, but I was in a hurry and spaced it out. By the time I stopped, the axel was in the ground, and a tractor couldn't pull me forward. Had to unload it and drag it backward.

I've run a lot of aggressive ats and some mts all on heavy 3/4 diesel trucks. The toyo ats lasted the longest for me personally. The stock michelin lasted 38k on a dodge but you couldn't go across wet grass on level ground in 2 wheel drive. The factory goodyears on my ford have 32k on them and will get about 8-10k more before I get new ones. A friend of mine run the toyo mts on his 3/4 dodge and got 54k out of a set. I don't know if that's typical or not for them. The ats seem to go about 40k or so.

I have an 01 silverado...I have been through a lot of tires. I had the factory Wilderness, then I had Destination AT, then I went with Trail Mark MT (formerly Trail Buster), Bridgestone Dueler AT (NOT the Revo), and now Toyo AT's. Worst tires were the Destination for anything off road. I couldnt get up a well road where I hunt with just a little coating of slime, and I couldnt get up my drive with a few inches of snow. First tire to EVER have problems either place int he same condition.

The MT's were great off road, If I had it to do over again, I would have them for hunting season (fall early winter) and pull them off to save them when Im off road the most, the mileage was terrible. But Theres so many good AT's out its hard to justify a mud tire if your not a oil field worker or similar or a dedicated wheeler. I have had the Toyo Open Country for about a year and probly around 20K on them and really like them and will go with them again.

My father really likes the Dueler Revo's but they are a little pricey for an AT IMHO.

Also, often a really open lugged mud tire will be terrible on snow and ice. The best snow traction comes from snow on snow...meaning your tire will hold snow. But if you get into a situation with snow on top of soup you cant beat a MT throwin a roost.

I guess...what Im trying to say is...Get an AT! ;)

i have had M/T and A/T on the same truck , and i would say that i have enjoyed the A/T much more. truck has never been stuck with either and i have gotten the tires deep in mud, the wost that every happened was pulling a trailer full of rounds and i was leaving to woods and it was fall the tires got caked with mud then leaves and i had to drop the trailer to get out of the woods, came back and picked it up the the tractor. but i have Definity Dakota A/T on now and i have put almost 40000 on them and they are holing up great, and i only paid about 110 a tire. i drive about 400 miles a week for work, but still get into the woods on the weekends and they run great in both situations. and i do get about 17mpg on these tires.

attachment.php

Get Both, kinda like why only one saw?

Only 30% of trucks or SUVs ever see dirt. 70% only ever see pavement.
That's a pretty good idea on how many people run M/Ts for show. They do hook up great and go anywhere with them, but in reality we don't really need them on our daily drivers.
I have a 6" lifted Jeep Cherokee with 33" Goodyear MTRs on it. They go for around $288 each so cost a small fortune.
My next set will be A/Ts as it makes more sense with gas being as high as it is now.
Good Luck.

Don't forget that you are talking to the 30% of people that use their trucks off road here. We are the guys that take our trucks into the woods to get the wood so we will hit much more challenging terrain than most people every think about. That said my wife's Jeep Liberty never gets on anything worse than gravel county roads, and therefore runs street tires. We like to go skiing so we wanted a 4wd that would get us there when there is fresh snow on the slopes. On the other hand I have an 85 Toyota that spends almost 100% of its life in the woods. I have had it stuck with MTs and lockers in both ends. If I ever have to buy tires for it again, it will be getting Boggers all the way around. However if I do have to put it on the street I have a set of AT's already mounted and can have them on the truck in the time it took me to type this. Maybe that is an idea for you. Find someone selling a set of tires and rims that will fit your truck. Then run pure street tires on the street for long wear and quite ride and only bolt on your MT's when you know you are heading for the woods. People have been doing that with snow tires for years.

...2003 5.4 150, it has 4x4 with a limited slip rear...with the 265/75/17 bf goodrich at's and 3.55 rear i am averaging about 16mpg right now, throughout the whole tank of gas, i drive a lot of short distances though, and live in a very hilly area, on the highway its definatley capable of 18 in the summer at 70mph cruising

Dang, I've got the same truck but 2002 and also do a lot of short hops and I get 11-12 and I don't live in a hilly area. Best I can do is 15 when it is all highway driving.

Trying to improve things, I just went from A/T's to Cooper Discoverer H/T's and although the ride and noise are much better, I haven't seen much change with my mileage. I don't have to drive far off road to get my wood so the H/T's should be enough but we will find out. Nice that they are G rated.

radial?

4season are those tires radial ? and who makes them. i tried to get bi as ply and could not find them.kenny

Dang, I've got the same truck but 2002 and also do a lot of short hops and I get 11-12 and I don't live in a hilly area. Best I can do is 15 when it is all highway driving.

Trying to improve things, I just went from A/T's to Cooper Discoverer H/T's and although the ride and noise are much better, I haven't seen much change with my mileage. I don't have to drive far off road to get my wood so the H/T's should be enough but we will find out. Nice that they are G rated.

man i think you got lead foot syndrome! lol
the mileage on these trucks arnt very good, but shouldnt be that bad!
i drive it very easy, with normal driving, with no load and no trailer it never sees above 2k rpm, it will lug up most hills on the highway at 1800rpm@70mph in OD, the great low end torque the old 2valve 5.4 makes is really its only saving grace as i find its able to lug around at very low rpm easily.
i try my best to not have it downshift and bring the revs above 2000rpm which is pretty easy unless im towing or hauling something or i have to merge on the highway
when towing ~4-5k lbs, 2500rpm is all it ever needs , as thats where the 2 valve 5.4 makes its peak torque, and pulls a cord up any hill i have thrown at it yet. im not racing,i dont let people riding my ass bother me
towing ~5k pounds i can usually get about 14mpg on highway, not sure about back roads, with some of the hills around here, and 5k trailer, its probably dropping into single digits.
cruising empty on the highway at 65-70, it runs around 1800 rpm and definitly gets every bit of 17mpg+, if i could possibly drive as slow as some of the guys on this site, i could probably get close to 20mpg, but driving 55mph on a highway here in jersey will get you killed.
next set of tires i get wont be as aggressive as the bf goodrich a/t's so hopefully the mileage will even improve some, the goodrich a/ts really have horrible on-road tread for an a/t tire. they look great, but arnt really ideal for driving on road way more than off road.

Last edited:
I do my best to leave my lead foot for my wife's car. :)

I do my best to baby it as much as possible but don't see no where the numbers you are getting. I was really surprised I didn't see an improvement with the new tires but I got them just as they were probably switching over to winter blend so maybe I will see an improvement in the Spring.

Thanks for all the replies! I looked at my axle code today and I got 3.55 gear ratio which isnt that low, so I got my mind made up to get an A/T tire , that should help me with the mpg. Now just to decide which one to get!

I've ran BF Goodrich A/t's for 9 years. I needed a new set to replace the factories on my 08 Ford F250. Being 20" the BF Goodrich were very expensive so I bought a set of Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's so far they have been pretty good in the snow. They haven't seen any mud since everything has been frozen since I've gotten them.

Im running Herculese AT tires on my truck. IMO if the truck is a daily driver, go with AT tires (and make sure the size starts with LT, not P).
If this is a dedicated wood truck that sees a few thousand miles per year, then evaluate how much actual mud you travel thru. If your mud is a couple inches deep with a solid base, pass on the MTs and go MS. Like others have said, your gonna wear alot of parts if you go with a true MT tire for a dialy driver.
poser-poster11.jpg

There is only one tire for my 2007 F-150 4x4:

Goodyear Wrangler Pro-series Silent Armour Kevlar lined.

I got a great deal at Sam's club ($900 OTD). Mileage is the same as the stockers, quiet on the road, good traction and damn near puncture proof. Rides hard on Michigan potholes. My standard pressure is 55psi cold which is about 60 psi hot.

I have the 265-70R17 on mine. Really carries weight, I load up one ton every trip to the woods.

I have an 01 silverado...I have been through a lot of tires. I had the factory Wilderness, then I had Destination AT, then I went with Trail Mark MT (formerly Trail Buster), Bridgestone Dueler AT (NOT the Revo), and now Toyo AT's. Worst tires were the Destination for anything off road. I couldnt get up a well road where I hunt with just a little coating of slime, and I couldnt get up my drive with a few inches of snow. First tire to EVER have problems either place int he same condition.

The MT's were great off road, If I had it to do over again, I would have them for hunting season (fall early winter) and pull them off to save them when Im off road the most, the mileage was terrible. But Theres so many good AT's out its hard to justify a mud tire if your not a oil field worker or similar or a dedicated wheeler. I have had the Toyo Open Country for about a year and probly around 20K on them and really like them and will go with them again.

My father really likes the Dueler Revo's but they are a little pricey for an AT IMHO.

Also, often a really open lugged mud tire will be terrible on snow and ice. The best snow traction comes from snow on snow...meaning your tire will hold snow. But if you get into a situation with snow on top of soup you cant beat a MT throwin a roost.

I guess...what Im trying to say is...Get an AT! ;)

That is the first bad review I have ever heard about the Destinations. My buddy works at a tire shop and he sells a ton of them with good reviews. I have some on a Dodge Dakota and they work really well. I was in some serious slop earlier this summer and the tires made the truck.

As for A/T versus M/T, I love the look of M/T tires and have them on my F350, they are great off road but noisy and have to be hurting my mileage. I don't think M/T's offer that much more performance than an aggressive A/T tire. So I would recommend A/T tires for your next purchase.

I have driven a lot of trucks with some of the previous mentioned tires, toyo open country (not a big fan), cooper discoverer (alright performer but nothing special), Firestone destination + transforce ( like the destinations (not overly aggressive though, transforce are nice, but I have little time on them), Hankook dynapro (buddy just got them not too long ago, cheap for an E rated tire, decent traction). Would love to try the new Goodyears and like the looks of the BF Goodrich A/T tires (see a lot out there too).

Good luck in your search!

Those tires are (or were) made by Cooper, I'm not sure they still build 'em.
Nope, not radial.
I'll look later and get the model name when I go out and plow the 7-inches of snow we got over night... grrrrrrrrrrr.........

I guess aggressive is in the eyes of the beholder. I wanted a center tread that would still run down the paved road if needed, but a side lug that would grab every stone, tree root, etc. when needed. Narrow to cut through the crap instead of riding on top and falling through at the most inopportune time, leaving you stranded. When I'm making tight maneuvers in deep snow or mud, like around trees and blow-downs in the woods those tires just can't be beat. I'm not an off-roader, I don't play off-road, usually I'm off-road because I have a purpose for getting where I'm going... I pick my route carefully.

Dad said to me once, "Boy, if'n ya' need ta' spin your wheels ta' git where you're a goin'... ya' ain't got the right tires."
I rarely ever "spin my wheels", I drive forward until I feel them starting to slip... then stop, back up and re-access...

Latest posts

Back