Truck Tires A/T and M/T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those tires are (or were) made by Cooper, I'm not sure they still build 'em.
Nope, not radial.
I'll look later and get the model name when I go out and plow the 7-inches of snow we got over night... grrrrrrrrrrr.........

I guess aggressive is in the eyes of the beholder. I wanted a center tread that would still run down the paved road if needed, but a side lug that would grab every stone, tree root, etc. when needed. Narrow to cut through the crap instead of riding on top and falling through at the most inopportune time, leaving you stranded. When I'm making tight maneuvers in deep snow or mud, like around trees and blow-downs in the woods those tires just can't be beat. I'm not an off-roader, I don't play off-road, usually I'm off-road because I have a purpose for getting where I'm going... I pick my route carefully.

Dad said to me once, "Boy, if'n ya' need ta' spin your wheels ta' git where you're a goin'... ya' ain't got the right tires."
I rarely ever "spin my wheels", I drive forward until I feel them starting to slip... then stop, back up and re-access...

I'm not an off-roader either and go off-road for the same purpose as yourself. Good mindset for driving off-road and good advice from your dad. Throttle control is key also.

To stay on topic, my latest set of tires are Cooper Discoverer ST's (LT265/75-16, C rated, 6 ply). When it's time for a new set, it'll be the same tires except maybe in a LT245/75-16 C rated...should be easier on the 4.6L V8 (97' F150 4x4, 3.55 gears).

Kevin

We run A/T tires on all our trucks. My trucks will see the farm everyday and the highway everyday. More me if I'm not going to make it out with A/T tires I don't need to be there. My old Dodge 1-ton had a set of wild county M/T tires on it. I found that I would get stuck more with it then with A/T. That's because I would try and go more place thinking I had the tires to get out. Most of the time I did but not all.

Scott

www.goodyeartires.com/tire/wrangler-duratrac/

I worked for Goodyear selling and installing tires for 10m years left the company in June the DuraTrac is the best of both worlds Wrangler Silent Armor is best for more on road driving and MT/R Kevlar if you have BIG $ for MAJOR MUD

DuraTrac and Silent Armor are about $900 per set

DuraTrac tires perform fantastic even on pure ice, gravel, mud or large rocks wont stop these things incredible flex on tread and remain very stable in all conditions.

DuraTrac was chosen by CSX Railroad for their service trucks

That is the first bad review I have ever heard about the Destinations. My buddy works at a tire shop and he sells a ton of them with good reviews. I have some on a Dodge Dakota and they work really well. I was in some serious slop earlier this summer and the tires made the truck.

As for A/T versus M/T, I love the look of M/T tires and have them on my F350, they are great off road but noisy and have to be hurting my mileage. I don't think M/T's offer that much more performance than an aggressive A/T tire. So I would recommend A/T tires for your next purchase.

I have driven a lot of trucks with some of the previous mentioned tires, toyo open country (not a big fan), cooper discoverer (alright performer but nothing special), Firestone destination + transforce ( like the destinations (not overly aggressive though, transforce are nice, but I have little time on them), Hankook dynapro (buddy just got them not too long ago, cheap for an E rated tire, decent traction). Would love to try the new Goodyears and like the looks of the BF Goodrich A/T tires (see a lot out there too).

Good luck in your search!

I have been a big fan of the BF Goodrich A/T TA's, but have not been pleased with their longevity so I wanted to try something different.

After spending a lot of time researching on-line reviews and talking with the tire stores, I bought the Firestone Destinations A/T's for my 2001 GMC 4X4 and have been very happy with them for the past 25,000 miles. My mileage did drop about 10%, but I believe that was due to going from a road tire which wasn't as tall as the A/T's. So the speedometer is slow, which affects the mileage calculations. I am sure that having more tire to pull due to rolling resistance has an impact as well.

The traction is very good! They have served me well in mud and snow. Knock on wood, I have not been stuck yet!

Some people have purchased tires from places such as Tire Rack---I would hesitate to buy from such a business because if/when you have problems, you are on your own. Around here in Indiana, Tire Barn and Zurcher Tire truly stand out as companies that stand behind the product.

Keep us posted with your selection! Good luck!

www.goodyeartires.com/tire/wrangler-duratrac/

I worked for Goodyear selling and installing tires for 10m years left the company in June the DuraTrac is the best of both worlds Wrangler Silent Armor is best for more on road driving and MT/R Kevlar if you have BIG $ for MAJOR MUD

DuraTrac and Silent Armor are about $900 per set

DuraTrac tires perform fantastic even on pure ice, gravel, mud or large rocks wont stop these things incredible flex on tread and remain very stable in all conditions.

DuraTrac was chosen by CSX Railroad for their service trucks

My Primewells cost me less than $500. Very good tire for the money. I was the first one and now we have at least 6 guys in our shop that are running them . My dad didn't get quite the mileage out of his. But he had the duramax in his truck and it is a bit harder on tires.

on my f-150 i run 285 75 16 toyo opencountry at, winter same sized toyo mt's , i like a luggy tire for the crappy concrete snow we have here, and the mud. at's plug up to much in the mud. run 35 1250 15 Yokohama mt on the old 83 toy, best snow tire i have run . if you run a lot a of rock roads, don't get them sipped. they will chunk out real fast . and when i switch to the mt's my mileage goes down, the more aggressive the tread the higher the rolling resistance. " just what i've done & learned".

I just put on hankook dynapro atm 10 plys on my 03' F150. So far I really like them. I get 15pmg. 5.4L 4x4 ext cab. They're pretty quiet and very good traction.$700 for the set out the door.

I am biased due to working for Bridgestone Firestone corp. i will say though you get what you pay for in tires.... i run Firestone transforce at's 265 75 16's on my f250 SD my first set got me 78,000 miles... my brother in law runs a private ambulance company and runs the transforce ht's on all 150 of them and gets 70- 80,000 miles consistently... they are a little higher in price then the destinations but are worth every penny.try them you will like them....i get in and out of where ever i want to go with them. i also haul heavy loads a lot, up to 24,000 lbs with no tire issues.

I run a pair of General grabber AT2 245 75 16's on the back of a gmc 2500 cargo van they are rated for ~3000 lbs and are awesome in snow and rain, haven't had them in mud though. last week we had to get it into the backyard to pull the log splitter out of the shed with about 7" of snow in the yard backed up to the shed no wheel spin at all, hooked up and right back out no issues at all. I already had the straps ready figuring it would get stuck lol best part is they are on the cheap side. probably the best tire I've owned so far check um out on tirerack

I've run a lot of aggressive ats and some mts all on heavy 3/4 diesel trucks. The toyo ats lasted the longest for me personally. The stock michelin lasted 38k on a dodge but you couldn't go across wet grass on level ground in 2 wheel drive. The factory goodyears on my ford have 32k on them and will get about 8-10k more before I get new ones. A friend of mine run the toyo mts on his 3/4 dodge and got 54k out of a set. I don't know if that's typical or not for them. The ats seem to go about 40k or so.

Good to hear about the Toyos I have about 3000 miles on mine so far.

I will agree about the Michelins that came on our Ram,that they will get you stuck anywhere but we got 70,000 out of them easily.

same size tire I lost about 1.5 mpg with the Toyos...

I'm really surprised to see so many glowing reviews and recommendations for A/T style tires. I suppose, if a larger percent of your driving is on-road they might make sense, but I've never found them to be any good in deep snow or mud. Back when we owned the dealership I didn't own a personal vehicle, I drove what I wanted off the lot; and because I used them, I drove mostly previously owned 4x4 pickups. In those 25+ years I probably ran every brand of tire you can think of (and some you've never heard of)... Every A/T style tire I've ever rode on was worthless in mud, the tread would load-up full and the tire became basically tread-less. Most are too wide for deep snow; they would ride up on top of the snow until you would stop or slow down and then they'd fall through leaving the axles sitting on top of the snow and tires hanging and spinning with nothing to grip. Really the only time I found an A/T style tire to give any sort of advantage over regular street tires was in loose dry dirt and sand. On our Service Truck/Plow Truck we ran plain 'ol street tires because they would out-perform any A/T style when plowing snow... and believe me, we swapped a bunch of different tires from previously-owned trucks.

With that said, I do have a set of A/T tires for my truck... a set of Cooper Discoverer 32-12.50's mounted on wide aluminum rims. I used to drive out west to shoot prairie dogs every summer and would put them on for the trip rather than burn up a set of bias ply M/S tires.

Has anyone tried these yet?
I want to try them for summer tires, cuz I will be in the dunes alot more this year:biggrinbounce2:
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back