True storie's, Really?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally i thin if someone tells you to be there at 6:30 dammit you need to be there at 6:20 or 6:25 at the latest if you dont care enough about tryin to keep your job you dont need to be in the tree business you need to work at the tag office

personally i thin if someone tells you to be there at 6:30 dammit you need to be there at 6:20 or 6:25 at the latest if you dont care enough about tryin to keep your job you dont need to be in the tree business you need to work at the tag office

We are on the same page, Swampy, :cheers:
Head's up my new friend, use 'spell check', LOL!
Jeff :msp_biggrin:

Hey Jeff, your guys been showing up on time lately?

Ha ha! Good Sunday morning read.
I had to just read the whole thread before I posted.
Update,,, The guy that was late all the time is now a climber in training. He has been to work 15 minutes early every day and he has gotten a raise and is a great employee.
I also remember why Dan is what he is,,?
BTW,, I always have hitch pin's, safety glasses,,etc,,,,because we and they are human.
It is a rare thing for me to write up a good employee,,but I will, and it work's.
Remember, this thread is for the stupid small stuff,Dan.
Jeff

For me its not a pair of glasses, gloves etc. Its the pattern. When its glasses, gloves, etc etc every damn week I get really irritated. I find glasses on the ground in the leaves and it always the same employee. Some employees need there mommies to come behind them and pick up their toys and wipe their tooshies. I don't do that. I fire them.

Mike

I work at a large institution and I have my own small tree business. At the institution I've seen what micro managing does to the work force and I've seen what the entitlement culture of a union does to productivity. I have learned a lot about what not to do from the institution in running my business. About three years ago we had a dispute with ours management staff about some of the things you are discussing her. ( i.e. wage and means act. progressive dissaplin. Garnishing wages and so on.) We had one young man in our crew who was coming in late, screwing up at times and smelling of alcohol. I was the shop steward at the time and was asked by management to talk to him. After a big meeting about the crap that was going on at work I pulled him to the side too tell him he had to stop coming into work smelling like alcohol and that I did not want to see him get fired. He thanked me for caring and shock my hand. It was the last time I saw him. He finished his work assignment for the day went to a supply storage room and hung him self. That was the second suicide we had that year. It turned out it was more than work on his mind his divorce was finalized. I look back too this day and wish I cared enuf to ask him if he was alright. So again I use what I learned from the institution and apply it to my small business. If a grounds man dosen't have his PPE on you should tell them they must because you care. I'll give a man 10 minutes grace before I leave for the job site. If he calls to say he's running late I'll wait because I care. Caring should be part of the work culture hand and hand with the expectations and rules of the job. So work hard, work smart, be safe and care.

Ha ha! Good Sunday morning read.
I had to just read the whole thread before I posted.
Update,,, The guy that was late all the time is now a climber in training. He has been to work 15 minutes early every day and he has gotten a raise and is a great employee.
I also remember why Dan is what he is,,?
BTW,, I always have hitch pin's, safety glasses,,etc,,,,because we and they are human.
It is a rare thing for me to write up a good employee,,but I will, and it work's.
Remember, this thread is for the stupid small stuff,Dan.
Jeff
While I agree with ya in general Jeff, you need to write yourself up for not welding a piece of chain between the pin and the chipper.

Damn! Speaking of psycho...

It's called Management. He has to set up rules for folks to follow. The employees have to follow the rules. Failure to enforce the rules means that no one will follow the rules.

He could just fire their ass for some silly crap, but instead, he creates a written ##### list of what they have done wrong, and he slaps them around with that list when they ask him for something they want...like a raise in pay. If he didn't write it down, he might forget it when the conversation gets started.

Then he gets to remind them of what he wants...reliable employees that don't ignore stupid things, like the silly little pin that makes sure the chipper doesn't fall off the truck while they are going down the highway.

Management= Punishing your employees for being late

Leadership= making them to want to be on time

If they don't respond to either- time to find someone else.
If the boss can't do both, he needs to learn or deal with the problems

Last edited:
I was late once....here's my excuse......

When I was building swimming pools in upstate, NY back in, I had a 50 mile commute down Rte 9W along the Hudson. One day I was about 20 minutes late, which the boss understandably was a bit miffed. This was the days before everyone had cellphones, so I could not call.

When the boss asked why I was late, I asked him to take a step around to the bed of my truck and have a look......That morning I hit a Deer on Glasco turnpike in Woodstock; a turkey on Rte 28 in Hurley; a racoon on rte 209 in Kingston; and a crow on rte 9W in Rhinebeck. I had stopped and tossed all 4 carcasses in the bed of the truck. He promptly said "lets get these things gutted so we can have a bbq this weekend (not the crow)

I needed a new hood, grill and 1 headlight after that mornings commute......

That morning I hit a Deer on Glasco turnpike in Woodstock; a turkey on Rte 28 in Hurley; a racoon on rte 209 in Kingston; and a crow on rte 9W in Rhinebeck. I had stopped and tossed all 4 carcasses in the bed of the truck. He promptly said "lets get these things gutted so we can have a bbq this weekend (not the crow)

QUOTE]

Youse ate the racoon?

We did not grill up the coon, but the pelt was tanned and used as a throw under a lamp. The crow was the only animal not used.

We did not grill up the coon, but the pelt was tanned and used as a throw under a lamp. The crow was the only animal not used.

Right, no one likes to "eat crow":msp_tongue:

(insert pic of 80 ft "stub" I dumped in a road here).

The late stories in the thread were entertaining (mostly). Had a part time guy work for me who was always pleading for more hrs, but often times I would have some jobs scheduled and he would say he already had his own work for those days! Never mind that maybe he could have scheduled around my dates, because I was carrying all the overhead, working legit, and he was just working out of his truck with no license and insurance?

Oh, and he was usually late, and when I put him in charge of a small crew utterly ####ed the dog (American colloquialism for screwed the pooch):msp_tongue: Yea, mods will have fun with that.

Finally fired him, heard he works for another outfit at less than half what I was paying him. At least now he is being paid what he is worth.

Jeff: I was wondering if you write guys up when you see them doing something good, or above and beyond what they are supposed to be doing?

One attaboy can go a long way in demonstrating what kind of attitude/behavior you expect. Just .02 worth.

No experience as a boss in the tree business but have been around some.

Frank

Jeff: I was wondering if you write guys up when you see them doing something good, or above and beyond what they are supposed to be doing?

One attaboy can go a long way in demonstrating what kind of attitude/behavior you expect. Just .02 worth.

No experience as a boss in the tree business but have been around some.

Frank

Yup,
Jeff

Back