Trufuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completed a search on it, and learned a little. Most of all, it's very expensive. Read some reviews, and some people claim it makes their machines run better.

My question is, how many of you use it all the time, or some of the time?

I keep a can of it on the bench for test runs... It's fine... Has a loooong shelf life too.

i use it and like it,yes the price is on the high side,but it is convenient.....and when i use it my saws seem to run stronger......but cant afford to run it all the time......:msp_thumbup:

It is all I use in every 2 cycle engine I have. Works great keeps a good long while. No ethanol free fuel where I am located so true fuel is what I use. Plus those cans are very handy to carry with you into the woods.

I have some 93 octane, ethanol-free gas available in my area, but it's about 25 miles away. It's $3.99 a gallon.

Thinking I'll just bite the bullet and make a run and buy a few gallons. I have some Stihl Ultra for the pre-mix.

Just called the gas station and the current price is $4.39 gal. :msp_ohmy:

Last edited:
I get it at an auto parts store. It's not cheap, $6 or $7/quart I think, but cheaper than replacing lines and or rebuilding/replacing carbs. There's a sponsor here that sells it cheaper than that I think. WatsonR. I believe only FedEx will ship it.

I user either 40plus or SEF40 on "off season" stuff, or saws that I know I won't be usually using in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

March will be the first full year of using either. Right now I "summerized" my little toro snow-thrower last spring with it, and doesn't look like I'll be using it again this season (knock on wood :laugh:) I may give it a pull next Sept, and see what it'll do...

Seems like we were talking about this a few days ago. I think tru-fuel is great, but in the summer I'll use 5 gallons of mix in 2 weeks, which would be would be about $100 more than 93 (with ethanol unfortunately) and stihl or husky synthetic. I have never had problems using fresh premium name brand gas with synthetic mixed at about 45:1. I use tru-fuel to store my trimmers/pole saw and stuff that I don't use much in the winter. I'll pick some up if I see it on sale, but find it too costly to use routinely. I also have not seen my saws perform better with it, nor worse. Lasts forever, and good for 2-stroke storage.

$6 or $7 a quart. Are you for real? Makes 100LL AVgas look cheap at $5.25 a gallon. One guru said AV gas was good for at least 5 years.

I use the SEF fuel from VP, same concept. I use it for storage. If I'm cutting and using a larger quantity of fuel I'll use pump gas, don't have a problem with it. The biggest thing about pump gas is it's age. Pop a little fuel medic treatment in it when I get it and run it without issue. Saws get put away they get the SEF fuel and run to cleanse out the ethanol. Problem free so far!

I'm looking for a good way to ship this stuff. I can have good pricing on it per case, it's the shipping that gets ya every time. You're better off trying to find it at a local dealer. Normal price on the shelf is $32/case, case of 6 cans.

The "BIG" Box Stores in my neck of the woods stock these items for five dollars and change before taxes for a 32 ounce can.

Er, wouldn't it be cheaper to just run the fuel out?:msp_wink:

Sure. In fact, the Stihl ms 260 owner's manual recommends running the fuel out. However, the dealer recommended running a small amount of ethanol-free mix to clear the pump gas mix from the carb and leaving it in the motor during storage. Short money if it kicks the carb repairs further down the road.

Back