TRX250R chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a friend at work that I've been pestering about a selling me this 250r motor to make a bike saw out of. This has been on the bucket list to build from the first time I seen one. SO he tells me yesterday to just come get the thing so tonight after work I go over there and it is a basket case! Good deal, saves me the hassle of having to split it as I'm going to cut the tranny and counter shaft off anyhow. Well I find out that he had sold the left crankcase for this motor and now I'm beginning to wonder if this project is a bust as I can not find a left case for a reasonable price. I may be dead in the water before it gets going. I'm not sure if there were many differences in the case halves between the model years or not. Anyone got any info or leads for the left case half I would appreciate any contacts! Here is what I did tonight was cut the tranny and counter shaft off.

bikesaw001.jpg

bikesaw002.jpg

bikesaw008.jpg

bikesaw009.jpg

bikesaw010.jpg

Cool!:popcorn:
Too bad the one I have is the 4cyl.

Ill be honest, I didn't read the whole post. I looked at the PIC's and got all excited. I had a 250R, my all time favorite four wheeler. I LOVED that quad. I can't wait to see this saw!! You gonna make some cooling fins for it, or figure for the 10 seconds it runs at a time it ain't gonna get too hot?? Man this is bringing back some memories, 280 BB kit, LRD adjustable expansion chamber, boyseen reeds. I can go on on on about that quad. CAN NOT WAIT to see the VIDEO!!!!

I'm not going to make anything if I can't find the left hand case...LOL :hmm3grin2orange: Assuming I find a case half I'll just run the cylinder as is with no coolant as it won't run that long to matter. Looking forward to doing this thing but this could prove to be challenging.

if im not mistaken you have to leave the balance shaft. fmc could tell you for sure.

No reason to keep it, not worried about the vibrations! Cr 250 never used the cb shaft. Just more weight for no practical reason.

Curious, what do you do with the gear box on the engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut it completely off, no use for it!

Imagine burying a 36" bar and shifting in the cut. We've all dreamed of it before. Now you got me thinkin about taking apart my 86. I'll keep reading. See how this goes.

The left side case is the costly side. It's the side that gets hammered by the chain when thrown and everybody's looking for one. I bought a set from a guy that was selling the right side and I asked if he still had the left. He did, but the case was broken and not useable. That was just what I was looking for. He gave me the broken case for the cost of shipping and I welded it up to make a good set. I bored the cases to do a stroker 370 Big Bore but put it on the shelf for now. Good Luck finding one cheap.....Hahahahahaha!

Looks like a 87/88 cylinder......85/86 is the better cylinder to work with, because of the intake.

bikesaw009.jpg

Last edited:
Call it "the Frankensaw" when you finish it. I'll look around here locally as it seems theres still a few around here and there.

I had a 250R when I was 9 yrs old. :D I didnt know nothing about them when I picked the quad I wanted. I just thought it was the prettiest one there so it was my Christmas gift.

You talk about a mean little quad. I used to pass vehicles on the highway in front of my house on it. :D I bet I wrecked that quad 100 times. I had completely destroyed it after three years. Engine was a touch one to have lasted that long the way I drove it,.

The left side case is the costly side. It's the side that gets hammered by the chain when thrown and everybody's looking for one. I bought a set from a guy that was selling the right side and I asked if he still had the left. He did, but the case was broken and not useable. That was just what I was looking for. He gave me the broken case for the cost of shipping and I welded it up to make a good set. I bored the cases to do a stroker 370 Big Bore but put it on the shelf for now. Good Luck finding one cheap.....Hahahahahaha!

Dennis, I just bought both cases for 39.00 on e-bay! :laugh: This is the start of a good day!

THanks JJ
250rcase.jpg

Last edited:
Back