Trying to find the yellow chain alternative to my RM3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, know I've been posting a lot - hope that's ok and I appreciate the help you've all given me.

I'm hoping someone, maybe even any Stihl dealers here, can help me figure this out. The Stihl website and all of their PDF resources are of zero value!

I have an MS261 and am thinking of getting an 18" bar for it. Looks like Stihl recommends the 26RM3-74 which is a green chain. I was thinking of getting the same chain but the full chisel yellow version, but can't figure out all of their weird little names and terms. I don't want a full skip or half skip or anything - just the same chain in yellow.

Can someone help me out? The dealers arent much help around here and never know the answers to my questions. Thanks for the help guys

Ah, so it's as simple as switching the M for the S? Thanks!
Yep. Do take it easy while breaking in your new saw, maybe stick with green chain for a few tanks. Congrats on the purchase. Did you sell your 250? I know a guy interested in one, but we're on opposite sides of the state.

Hey guys, know I've been posting a lot - hope that's ok and I appreciate the help you've all given me.

I'm hoping someone, maybe even any Stihl dealers here, can help me figure this out. The Stihl website and all of their PDF resources are of zero value!

I have an MS261 and am thinking of getting an 18" bar for it. Looks like Stihl recommends the 26RM3-74 which is a green chain. I was thinking of getting the same chain but the full chisel yellow version, but can't figure out all of their weird little names and terms. I don't want a full skip or half skip or anything - just the same chain in yellow.

Can someone help me out? The dealers arent much help around here and never know the answers to my questions. Thanks for the help guys
20230301_112415.jpg

If you're spending the money on a new b&c you might want to consider going to the narrow kerf Light04 bar with 23 RS Pro chain. Less stress on the powerhead and faster cutting.

This is a very helpful guide to those trying to understand different Stihl chains: https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/SawChainSelection-6.pdf
In this case the 26 signifies you are running a .325" Pitch and .063 Guage. RM3 is Rapid Micro (semi chisel) 3 is the single hump safety chain, -74 is the number of drivelinks to make the 18" loop.

What you are looking for in full chisel is 26RS-74. Search ebay it comes right up.
However you can take the above info and get a chain that will work from any manufacture so long as it matches the pitch, gauge, and number of links. Personally Stihl chain is hard to beat, i even run it on my Husky's.
My recommendation is if you are not a pro, stick with their 26RM3 chain, you won't pick up any speed by the end of the day unless you are prepared to keep the RS out of the dirt, in clean wood only, and touch up with sharpening every few hours of cutting. Full Chisel is only faster until it is dull, which happens much sooner than semi chisel.

Lastly, find a good saw shop locally, they can help you with this and can walk you through bar options as well. Change the bar, and you have more options in pitch, gauge etc.
Have fun!

This is a very helpful guide to those trying to understand different Stihl chains: https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/SawChainSelection-6.pdf
In this case the 26 signifies you are running a .325" Pitch and .063 Guage. RM3 is Rapid Micro (semi chisel) 3 is the single hump safety chain, -74 is the number of drivelinks to make the 18" loop.

What you are looking for in full chisel is 26RS-74. Search ebay it comes right up.
However you can take the above info and get a chain that will work from any manufacture so long as it matches the pitch, gauge, and number of links. Personally Stihl chain is hard to beat, i even run it on my Husky's.
My recommendation is if you are not a pro, stick with their 26RM3 chain, you won't pick up any speed by the end of the day unless you are prepared to keep the RS out of the dirt, in clean wood only, and touch up with sharpening every few hours of cutting. Full Chisel is only faster until it is dull, which happens much sooner than semi chisel.

Lastly, find a good saw shop locally, they can help you with this and can walk you through bar options as well. Change the bar, and you have more options in pitch, gauge etc.
Have fun!
His question wasn’t about running RS, it was about running a non-safety chain. So why RM3 over RM?

Actually it was, his question was "I was thinking of getting the same chain but the full chisel yellow version" which I answered, that would be 26RS... Rapid Super. RM is semi chisel.
26RM is hard to find, but it is out there, 26RM3 is easy to get, hence my opinion so daringly offered lol.

Actually it was, his question was "I was thinking of getting the same chain but the full chisel yellow version" which I answered, that would be 26RS... Rapid Super. RM is semi chisel.
26RM is hard to find, but it is out there, 26RM3 is easy to get, hence my opinion so daringly offered lol.
All my 50cc saws (026 028S) run 26 67 drivers/16" bars. I've got a box full of 26RM and 26RS, spare 3003 mount bars.

Dealers that only carry the "3" chains only cater to homeowner saws.

This is why, whenever someone is helpful enough to post a cross reference sheet, I print it and post near the saw bench.
I also cut box labels and staple them up, an idea copied from the re-order number common to industrial consumables.
7 years later, I know exactly which alphanumeric widget I'm after. Otherwise, it feels like shopping for Hardly Davidson tires.

Is there a master-cross chart? I'd sure like to be able to decipher oregon designations with whole words versus letters.
Is that Xtra Power Grip? 🤨
Recently I see efforts taken to obscure access to part numbers. Parts listed online by application not number.
Fits: Trust me Bro.

Latest posts

Back