Trying To Keep Our Saws Quieter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large screwdriver against an engine/bearing and pressed behind the ear is very useful too

My saw exhausts forward and it deflects the noise back to me when bucking. I find that wearing ear plugs protects my hearing and it makes the job easier to do for any length of time.

Back at the electric utility this week and had my hearing tested for he 9th year in a row with no measurable loss. I always use earplugs because my father insisted on them then every job has made them available. I borrowed their old decibel meter and checked out a ported 2171 and 346, it was 110 to 120dba just behind the saw and 130 to 135 when I held the meter directly in front of the exhaust. As an arborist, cutting in backyards and public places, I am ok with a mean sounding saw. I subscribe to the loud pipes save lives theory. I want people to understand that potentially dangerous destruction is going on and that they should stay away.

Back