Trying to test 261c on my dyno. Tach is funny???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a tach I attach wrapping the lead wire around the plug wire three times tightly securing it with a zip tie. The 261c is giving funny rpm readings. If the saw is running wot with no load the rpm reads correctly but as I increase the load and the saw decreases rpms the tach increases to 15,000 rpm range when I'm guessing the saw is really at 9-10 k. Is the cm screwing it up or do I have a faulty tach. I think I have another tach in my stash somewhere I'll try.

Terry Syd

Terry Syd

Addicted to ArboristSite
Could be it has a multiple spark discharge circuit to help ensure combustion, but those circuits are usually more useful when the engine's throttled back, not at WOT.

If anyone ever finds a circuit drawing of either Stihl's or Husky's electronic systems, please post it so we can figure this stuff out.

chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Took care of the issue. I ordered a nice shaft rpm sensor a while ago and it was sitting on my shelf and almost forgot about it. I installed it this evening and I'm impressed it reads in every rpm with a resolution of one rpm and it has a super fast refresh rate. I have no need to measure saw rpm. I just figure the ratio whether I'm running a 7 or 8 pin sprocket on the saw to the permanent 24 pin in the dyno. I'm going to make a laminated sheet with shaft rpms to obtain saw rpms from 6000-13000 in 500 rpm increments.

The big test with Randy's 261C against my stock 261C will have to wait till tomorrow night.

Latest posts