Tuning 357XP! How many RPM's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tuned on it, and kinda FEAR the lean top end, so I tuned it and put it on the tach......I was only at 12,900 rpm, and then I leaned it and BINGO it went to 13,800, and cut LIKE CRAZY. I was kinda scared, so I tuned it back to around 13,600. Its a tad weaker, but should be safe. Should I go to 13,800 and be safe, or stay at 13,600 and enjoy a long healthy life?

I had it at 14,100 once, and YOW, that was intense! :) It sure woke-up with just this muffler mod! The throttle response and everything is much much better.

I hardly believe 14,100 will do any harm, as long as it 4-strokes out of wood.

I just had a husky mechanic tune my 357xp, stock muffler. He said that w/the stock muffler the engine develops the meat of its power at about 10,500rpm. He tuned it to 12,500...

After I ran the saw I thought that it was off a bit, defintely not as quick as before the tuning. But I'm not driving 60 miles round trip to eke out another 500rpm:monkey:

mark

No load

14000 or a little more as long as they 4 stroke.......at 12.500 you are wasting fuel and making a LOT less power.

Even if your saw is in break in 12.500 is WAY too rich

14000 or a little more as long as they 4 stroke.......at 12.500 you are wasting fuel and making a LOT less power.

Even if your saw is in break in 12.500 is WAY too rich

well I guess I'll take it back when I have to have the 385xp tinkered with.
This shop richens up the mixture when the saw is new and wants you to return it after 5-10 tankfulls...Sort of a pita as they are so far away

I just had a husky mechanic tune my 357xp, stock muffler. He said that w/the stock muffler the engine develops the meat of its power at about 10,500rpm. He tuned it to 12,500...

After I ran the saw I thought that it was off a bit, defintely not as quick as before the tuning. But I'm not driving 60 miles round trip to eke out another 500rpm:monkey:

mark

I am far from an expert, but here is my take on it;

12500 is way too low!

Easy to do yourself - just lean the H 1/16 or so turn at a time until it quits 4-stroking, and then back off a tad. Then check with a tach.

Run it a bit in wood before you do it, so it is really warmed up.

My 361 performs the best at about 14300, and that is stock - but I will put an "Andy" muffler on it as soon as I get back to the cottage, where it is........

Last edited:
I am far from an expert, but here is my take on it;

12500 is way too low!

Easy to do yourself - just lean the H 1/16 or so turn at a time until it quits 4-stroking, and then back off a tad. Then check with a tach.

Run it a bit in wood before you do it, so it is really warmed up.

My 361 performs the best at about 14300, and that is stock - but I will put an "Andy" muffler on it as soon as I get back to the cottage, where it is........

The 357xp likes revs. No matter what anyone around here says it's a better saw than the 361:dizzy: , it's a warrior. Don't be afraid of 14k with Husky, 357.

Just from MY TUNING Experience, I honestely think the saw has TWICE as much cutting power when tuned for 13,800, compared to 12,500 rpm.
When mine was around 12,900, it was a POOCH and was much weaker than the stock muffler tuned to 13,800.

Mine definately burbles Alot at 13,600 and thats almost too rich, but I really want this baby to last a long long life! :)

Thanks for all the input! :greenchainsaw:

well I guess I'll take it back when I have to have the 385xp tinkered with.
This shop richens up the mixture when the saw is new and wants you to return it after 5-10 tankfulls...Sort of a pita as they are so far away

After getting totally fed-up with how the 357 was running I finally took it to another Husky shop then the one I bought it at. They tuned the saw to 13,800. Jeez it runs soooo muuucchhh better. Now, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the first husky tech tuned it to 12,500. At 12.5 it ran like a dog, my 55R outran it.

You're not doing your saw a favor by running it rich. If it's 4-stroking much at WOT no load, you're too rich. If it's 4-stroking in the wood, you're stupid rich. Plain and simple. Set it where it's just on the rich side of being pure 2-stroke. You'll hear it switching between 2 and 4-stroke. Run it richer than this and all you're doing is wasting fuel, carboning up the piston crown and exhaust port, and sacrificing LOTS of power. Forget what the tach says, TUNE the engine. Only use the tach to duplicate the setting once you know where it wants to be. Also, the best tune is usually where the saw will cut the fastest as well. Just don't go leaner than that.

After getting totally fed-up with how the 357 was running I finally took it to another Husky shop then the one I bought it at. They tuned the saw to 13,800. Jeez it runs soooo muuucchhh better. Now, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the first husky tech tuned it to 12,500. At 12.5 it ran like a dog, my 55R outran it.

It is not rocket science, something is wrong in the mind of that first tech....:monkey:

Last edited:
Back