Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConservationNation

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new 390xp last week, and I've been trying to figure the carb out. I have always tuned in wood, getting it to cut clean and 4 stroking when the load is lifted. I can't seem to get my 390 to 4 stroke though. I set it at the richest the cap would allow and worked my way up to the leanest the cap would allow (maybe 3/4 turn). I couldn't hear any change. Maybe I was sitting at the limiter the whole time? Maybe it runs so much faster than I'm used to that I can't recognize the sound? Any advice?
I set it as rich as I could, and just went ahead with my day as I was already in the field. Probably going to bring it to my dealer and just have him do it, but I'd really like to know how to mess with it for future reference.
Thanks!

When you say new, is it new new ? Or new to you/ previously owned?

Mine is set all the way out to the limiter and it runs rich enough for my liking in the winter. In the summer I'll have to lean it up a tad but that's to be expected for any saw.

When you say new, is it new new ? Or new to you/ previously owned?

Mine is set all the way out to the limiter and it runs rich enough for my liking in the winter. In the summer I'll have to lean it up a tad but that's to be expected for any saw.
New new. It ran fine set at the richest cap, but I feel like I may be depriving myself of some power.

Buy a 21 tooth spline poulan/craftsman carb adjuster on ebay for 2$, that's the tool you need to adjust the carb on the 390xp completely without removing the caps. It pushes in the limiting cap while the splines mesh with the screw to turn it, then you can drop it back to wherever you like. :)

Latest posts

Back