Tuning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Quick question.. I run 346's and 350's, and, I was running my 350 yesterday and it was hesitating on acceleration, and bogging in the cut pretty bad. So I adjusted the "H" screw (I assume high speed jet) and its running great again. My question is this: Can the saw be damaged by adjusting the carb screws too far in either direction? Again, this is with the caps ON. I don't want to take them off ever, im not that advanced. I just tweak a little.
Thanks!
-Brad

P.S., what limits the RPM's on these saws? Im thinking it must be some kind of limiter in the ignition?

yes if you run it with them to far in (lean)it will damage the saw If it is to far out you loose so much performance you will turn them back in Make shure when the saw is out of the wood and you rev it that it still runs a little rich at full rpm because when you put it in the cut it will clean out and run leaner

Macmans advise is good! better too rich than too lean. Depending on where the mixture limiter caps are centred, it could be harmfully lean if you turn it to the clockwise limit.You probably had to richen up to compensate for the colder weather.

Tuning Chainsaws
Mixture screws
Set to manufacters basic setting ( please check you owners manual for this one) as there are difference in primary settings.
Start saw allow sufficient time for the saw to warm
Low speed mixture setting adjust to provide a crisp acceleration.
High speed should be set by ear adjust to make it 4 stoke off load and 2 stroke under load.
Most basic setting with carbs where between 3/4 and 1 1/4 from needle bottomed note do not force the needle down to hard on its seat to start this setting as a lot of needles were rubber tipped thereby altering the setting and damaging the tip itself and putting a step on the end of the needle making adjustment impossible.

ozflea,

Do the current crop of dependent (upon, or in series with the high-speed circuit) low-speed jets require any different procedure than the older independent designs?

Glen

Latest posts

Back