Turning A Stihl 038 Into A Ported 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so will the modded mag at 72cc? beat a stock 044 at 71cc???

Buried with shorter bars but the same rims/chains/bars, probably not. Put on 28-32 inch B&Cs and bury them full length in hardwood and I'm betting the modded 038M will pull away.

Also, it's worth remembering that swapping to an 8-pin rim on a modded 70cc saw and running a 25-inch B&C is a phenomenal combo. Balances really well and rips right through the wood.

Broke a 038 Yet? Not me in 20 years run time.(other tan STUPIDITY)

Well I'm tough!!!, and like my Dad used to tell me "if yer gonna be stupid, ya better be tough", so I hope my 038 is tough too. Just joking, I am new to the 038 super electronic and had fun sprucing one up I got for 10 bucks because the plastic gas tank had a seam leaking. Got all new rubber AV, hoses, carb kit and a few screws here and there, painted and poked holes in the muffler, put some epoxy on the bottom where the case is worn from sliding around in a county work truck its whole life. P&C look like new!!!

Now I have about a hundred bucks in her, this hobby is gettin spensive!!!!!
Thinking about adding a new name plate and a bumper spike to the clutch cover next, then maybe cut some wood?

Broke a 038 Yet? Not me in 20 years run time.(other tan STUPIDITY)

My son in law broke the rear handle on ours.......but he can bust up an anvil with a rubber hammer. :(

Randy, let me know if you want a stock low hour mag to compare your conversion to.

We have a bone stock 038 M2..... :msp_wink:

My son in law broke the rear handle on ours.......but he can bust up an anvil with a rubber hammer. :(

We have a bone stock 038 M2..... :msp_wink:

I do too.

Logger friend , breaks twice , JUNK IT

Ugliist POS ever GIVIn to me. Piston looks like NEW, OEM Stihl.

Would not start, recoil full of crap.

Would not run, carb full of crap.

The above fixed and 15 vears now, runs great

It is Stihl a good runner, but I think my conversions , will beat it

Thanks Guys, I found that saw setting on a shelf in a mans garage last fall. Some new lines on it and it ran like a champ . But the spark plug threads had been stripped out and fixed. So here we go

Thanks Guys, I found that saw setting on a shelf in a mans garage last fall. Some new lines on it and it ran like a champ . But the spark plug threads had been stripped out and fixed. So here we go

Is that you Lee????? :msp_sneaky:

Mastermind, Thanks for finally posting up some work on an 038 Mag. I've been meaning to chime in a few times to ask but I knew with a little patience someone would get around to it. When I put a new piston/rings in my mag, I got rid of the base gasket and did a little cleaning up on the ports. I didn't do alot on the port timing as I just didn't want to do something I couldn't reverse until I had more information. Looking foward to what you end up with.

I did not have a Dig camera when I did, my conversions,

Use the 038/038S base gasket as a template for sloting the cly holes.

Turn down the cyl bolts and /or demel the cyl so bolts will fit.

Also open up the holes in the cyl to fit T27 torx.

Muffler is too narrow, open that up , and open up ports

I'm sure MM will have more info Soon

I bought my second 038 about four years ago, the first one was so far gone that I sold it on at a loss to someone who was after the Bing carb, this one is a standard 038 and a new 48 mm piston and cylinder for it is rare and expensive. You can find the 50 mm or 52 mm Super and magnum sets no problem, but the 48 mm is really hard to find. After reading a few of the Proff's threads on conversions, I decided to just stay with the standard set up.

So finally I get a reasonably priced used cylinder on ebay and decide to root the saw out to check what else I need before I order the piston and set to fixing it. Thing is, I can't find it! It's been so long since I last set eyes on it, I can't remember where I put it :bang:

I bought my second 038 about four years ago, the first one was so far gone that I sold it on at a loss to someone who was after the Bing carb, this one is a standard 038 and a new 48 mm piston and cylinder for it is rare and expensive. You can find the 50 mm or 52 mm Super and magnum sets no problem, but the 48 mm is really hard to find. After reading a few of the Proff's threads on conversions, I decided to just stay with the standard set up.

So finally I get a reasonably priced used cylinder on ebay and decide to root the saw out to check what else I need before I order the piston and set to fixing it. Thing is, I can't find it! It's been so long since I last set eyes on it, I can't remember where I put it :bang:

If you have 1/2-1/3 brain, dremel and basic tools you can make it a Mag easy.

We will help.:rock:

Randy,

Just wondering if those bucking spikes are OEM as well and if so can you read a part number on them? I'd like to put a set like that on mine. Thanks!

Just so you know, this isn't the first one he's done. He built mine this spring and it pulls like a freight train. 185 psi makes it hard to pull the rope with no decomp though.

I run a 25'' bar most of the time, and I had to put an 8 pin rim on it, I was cutting stuff so fast it was embarassing.:D

How Does a Modded 041 super compare to a modded 038 mag?

since there both around 71 or 72 cc .

Just wondering

I like that 041 super Randy ported with a 41 percent Gain over stock is Sick !!!!

MIke

Latest posts

Back