Turning A Stihl 038 Into A Ported 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about modded but a stock 041 super can't even come close to hanging with a stock 038 mag II. Where a stock 038 mag II can come very close to hanging with a stock 044. The 041 just doesn't have the rpm that a 038 mag does and I may be wrong but it seems to have a bit less torque as well.

I was just thinking that the 041 super was horo and the 038 was almost vert

The 041 would be more torgue but the speed is down

OK

I was not sure if I should do this to this saw since it looks so nice. But I wanted a woods ported saw and it was setting on my shelf so I sent it off. I ran a 28" bar on saw before I send it off. I should have a lot of fun with it later this fall with all the oak I have to do. Thanks Randy Lee

I am looking forward to seeing what this saw will do with a long bar on it. I Do think Randy likes making us wait, I get all excited and have to keep checking the thread for progress... I might have a patience :msp_confused:problem

I've had quite a few 041's in my posession before, but never spent a ton of time operating them. IMO the 038 was many moons ahead of the 041 in a lot of ways. I can understand why quite a few people like them for the nostalgic value, but I personally was never a big fan of them. Yes, the 041 was horizontal while the 038 is vertical like the modern stihls.

Np Mad Professor...i'm glad to see your able to make use of the parts.

I am looking forward to seeing what this saw will do with a long bar on it. I Do think Randy likes making us wait, I get all excited and have to keep checking the thread for progress... I might have a patience problem

I just work late in the shop. :laugh:

We rebuilt a Husky 362XP from the crankshaft up and got this 038 ported.......here's some pics.

LeesStihl038009.jpg

LeesStihl038016.jpg

LeesStihl038015.jpg

LeesStihl038014.jpg

LeesStihl038013.jpg

LeesStihl038010.jpg

Off Topic: I heard there was a good saw race somewhere in TN last weekend that Tlandrum even competed in. I don't know how he did, but i was curious if any of you other Tn folks went there?

Looks good randy.

Off Topic: I heard there was a good saw race somewhere in TN last weekend that Tlandrum even competed in. I don't know how he did, but i was curious if any of you other Tn folks went there?

Looks good randy.

Too much mudslinging and bull#### goes on in saw racing for my tastes Brad. I just build saws for work and I like it that way. :)

I've had quite a few 041's in my posession before, but never spent a ton of time operating them. IMO the 038 was many moons ahead of the 041 in a lot of ways. I can understand why quite a few people like them for the nostalgic value, but I personally was never a big fan of them. Yes, the 041 was horizontal while the 038 is vertical like the modern stihls.

Np Mad Professor...i'm glad to see your able to make use of the parts.

Brad,

Thanks, many thanks to you, all those old geezeers will be running as long as me, I hope

Best

MP

Brad,

Thanks, many thanks to you, all those old geezeers will be running as long as me, I hope

Best

MP

Great to hear ;). I have that one MS380 that is new that I gave my son, but I'm probably going to end up building an 038 mag this winter just for giggles. IMO they are about the best sounding stihl saw, but thats personal preference ;).

I cleaned up the flash in the carb venturi but it is small for this build......

Anyone have an extra Mag 2 carby?

Sorry MM....I cleaned out all my 038 mag parts about a year or so ago. I'm not sure how many carbs I had though, but i sent everything i had to MP.

I like how the intake looks, it moves the fresh mix to both sides of the cylinder. Is that how your doing all of them?

I like how the intake looks, it moves the fresh mix to both sides of the cylinder. Is that how your doing all of them?

That "divider" is a support for the piston ring as it drops into the port a bit. I did some.....well, quite a bit of reshaping. :D

I cleaned up the flash in the carb venturi but it is small for this build......

Anyone have an extra Mag 2 carby?

I might have a Tilly but not a Bing, will have to check a day or two time to sort things. PM Brad he might help?

The super carbs are same venturi size as Mag, tune the same IMHO. Not sure why everybody are Bing fans, Tilly parts are way less and run good

Sorry I could not see all the port work, dial up here SUCKS. Work tomorrow at hispeed.......

Back