TW 6 wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman716

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had a TW 6 for over 8 yrs.
the first thing you'll need to do is revamp the log lift. The bump in the center which is the support needs to be cut off and made level with the rest if the lift. Otherwise you have a see / saw action with your logs to be split. I welded plates across and beefed up the lift brace after I cut the knob sticking up in the center. I then got a piece of outdoor welcome mat rug and gorilla glued it on the lift as it is very slippery when wet. This splitter needs two people to run efficiently, one to load the wood and one to run the controls even though timber wolf says it's a one person operation.
I have the extended basket or grate which is a must. The six way splitter wedge can be a nuisance if you get a big log in it and it will not have the power to split it and the wedge gets stuck have way in.
Note:
Another issue I have had is the splitter control valve needs the relief valve adjusted or otherwise it will not return the ram. Especially when the oil gets hot from use. Note:
When I first got the splitter I had to increase the hydraulic pressure to the valve to 2650 from 2000lbs pressure otherwise it wouldn't split the logs it went into return mode on the ram. TW said not to go higher than 2650. Lbs pressure. ???
Need pics send me a e/m.
I told the owner of TW about the log lift center obstruction and he agreed it should be changed , it was a good idea. Haven't seen them change it yet.
The splitter has a 18 hp Honda engine. I have about 750 hrs on it.
I installed a hour meter so I could keep track of the engines hours for oil changes. I use Mobil 1
Synthetic 10/30. This splitter is about the best you'll get before a processor.

Nice report on your TW6. Personally I could never justify the cost of one but they look to be a stout machine.
They are a good machine but need some tweaking like I explained. I was servicing mine today to get ready to do 40 cord. The extras I got were the log lift ( a must ) 6 way splitter ( wouldn't buy that again ) and the log grate. The grate I have revamped also. I do welding and my own service work so all those modification didn't cost me too much. Don't be fooled there is some movement on prices for these machines. I negotiated my dealer to lower the price.
With two people ( my wife runs the levers ) I load the lift and remove the split wood from the grate and load the loader / backhoe bucket and We can split One cord a hour with the wood all bucked up.
John

I have the -6 as well. I don't have the lift...but since I bought mine used, I can't complain. I'd like to add it on if/when the funds are available. At north of $800 plus shipping, it's an expensive upgrade. The wedge really should be thinner...it's the reason the 6 way is so terrible. A disappearing 4 way would be fantastic. Because the 4 way isn't attached to its lift cylinder, anything with a crooked face has a tendency to make the wedge slide up and off. The slip on table grate is just to flimsy. Mine has been bolted on to strengthen and stabilize it. Yes, to really work the machine, 2 people busting a hump is necessary. If it's really a one man machine, some kind of idle circuit would be nice while the ram isn't moving. The 18hp Honda gets good mileage but with gas creeping into the $4/gallon range, any stretching of that would be nice.

The fix for your TW6 is do able if your handy and have the tools. If the 4 way wedge was fixed ( welded solid ) it would be damaged or damage the machine. The six way is built ok but there just isn't enough push power to get the wood through the wedge with tough pieces of large wood. I know I've been doing this for ten years and have split multiple species. and size logs.
I understand the auto cycle feature has been discontinued b/c of OSHA requirements. ( once again Government
Protects us from stupidity. )
The owners name is Morris so if you don't like something rattle his cage.

Latest posts

Back