TW6 22GPM TO 28 GPM SWAP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Yankee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just looking for someone with the knowledge of the possibility of swapping out my 22gpm pump on my TW6 to a 28gpm pump.

I would like faster cycle times, but don't want to mess anything up by just swapping out pumps without knowing what else I may be doing harm to.

Any advice, or even better... experience, is appreciated.

Generally speaking the engine is sized to the pum. ~1hp for every 1gpm at 1500psi
HP = PSI * GPM / 1714

p. 22gpm would need around 38hp for 3000psi and 28gpm would need 49hp. At 2500 psi it'd be 32hp and 40hp.

Now if it's 2 stage, that changes things. Would need to know the gpm and pressure of the slow stage to figure out if you can run it.

22 to 28gpm as far as speed.. on a 4" cylinder, 3" rod, 24" stroke it'd be about 5 secs on the 22gpm, 4 secs on the 28gpm.

I'm not familar with a TW6, those cylinder #s are just roughly what a decent splitter would have. 5" would be a 2 sec difference between a 22 and 28gpm.

Maybe you're thinking a single stage pump? A 22 gpm 2 stage only needs around 12 hp.

The TW6 is fitted with a 2 stage pump and a 20 hp motor that can handle a 28gpm 2 stage pump.

Assuming the pump is a 2-stage you will need a 14+ hp.engine for a 28 gpm 2-stage pump. Other then needing a larger engine everything else will work fine.
The GX630 that powers the TW6 is 20hp, and is more than enough for the 28 gpm pump.

I really am wanting to make sure that I am not overloading the hydraulics by running a larger pump.

Yes, single stage. I'm surprised a "commercial" splitter has such a small engine and a 2 stage pump. Aren't they $$, like $5-6k?

12hp is the bare min for 22gpm if going up to 1000psi (which is pretty low) My "homejobber" Swisher splitter has a 16gpm pump and 12hp.

Yes, single stage. I'm surprised a "commercial" splitter has such a small engine and a 2 stage pump. Aren't they $$, like $5-6k?

12hp is the bare min for 22gpm if going up to 1000psi (which is pretty low) My "homejobber" Swisher splitter has a 16gpm pump and 12hp.
I am not sure what you have going on there. It is common to have a 12 hp running a 2 stage 22gpm @ 3000psi on most commercial splitters.

The TW6 is a model that seems to be made with a motor large enough to roll with a 28gpm...

Dunno, commercial to me means tough and fast. single stage is much quicker than an "undersized" engine and a 2 stage pump. Fine for a homejobber, but commercial = time is money.

My little splitter I haven't run in a couple years. I just keep it "in case". The machine I run daily uses a 35hp Kubota engine and the splitter pump is 30gpm at 3000psi. About 5 second cycle. I realize "the numbers" don't work, I should need more engine, but it works fine, dunno.

What cylinder size, rod size and stroke does that TW6 have? That would give you an idea if it's even worth messing with a different pump. 12hp is going to mean lower psi on the fast stage so it may even be slower than what you have now.

Dunno, commercial to me means tough and fast. single stage is much quicker than an "undersized" engine and a 2 stage pump. Fine for a homejobber, but commercial = time is money.

My little splitter I haven't run in a couple years. I just keep it "in case". The machine I run daily uses a 35hp Kubota engine and the splitter pump is 30gpm at 3000psi. About 5 second cycle.

What cylinder size, rod size and stroke does that TW6 have? That would give you an idea if it's even worth messing with a different pump. 12hp is going to mean lower psi on the fast stage so it may even be slower than what you have now.

That's great man. Glad to hear about your splitter.

Thanks for the help.

I am sure you didn't start with a 35hp diesel processor or splitter, right?

I don't think I am doing too bad for doing 100 cords my first year with a 27ton gravely with a single wedge.

I would love to converse more, but time is money.

So can anyone on here tell me about hydraulics?

I would like to know if anyone has experience with swapping out a 22gpm to a 28gpm 2 stage on a TW6.

I don't mean to seem like an ass, but I really am looking for some specifics in regards to hydraulic flow, hydraulic pressure, line sizes, etc...

I got on this site a couple years back to a bunch of negativity in regards to starting a firewood business, and now I am ass deep in firewood with about $40,000 invested in equipment. I am doing phenomenally well in a very short time, and was just looking to get a pump swapped out and not botch up my hydraulics on a $12,000 splitter...

My little splitter I haven't run in a couple years. I just keep it "in case". The machine I run daily uses a 35hp Kubota engine and the splitter pump is 30gpm at 3000psi. About 5 second cycle. I realize "the numbers" don't work, I should need more engine, but it works fine, dunno.

Alright, let's try this again. The Timberwolf TW6 has a Honda GX630 (20HP) motor on it. It is more than capable of running a 28gpm 2 stage pump.

It will work fine as has already been stated by TripTester. If you follow him, you would know he knows.
Sorry Del. I rarely get on this site. I don't know who knows what. I just thought someone may have had a tw6 they swapped pumps on already...

I can't just take someone's word that it will work.

Latest posts

Back