Twice in 2 days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is twice now in 2 days I've had someone ask to borrow my saw.. A buddy of mine asked me yesterday, wanted my MS310 to chuck up somer tree length for his GF's farther. I said no! He kept bugging me saying I'll be easy on it, I know what I'm doing! He has expirence but the guy is just hard on his equipment. He over heated and siezed up his Husky 266 last year! and broke his GF's farthers 2150 Johnsred a few weeks ago. Anyway I said NO meant No then he tried to get me to lend him my MS180 to do it!! HA!
Then today I get to work and a guy I work with says " hey you have a chainsaw?" He wants to cut some what he calls dead standing trees around his house and he's never used a saw.. Again I says NO.
It's hard to explain to someone that has no clue why I just don't lend out my saws..

If ever there was a good reason to say no, these are two great examples. Certainly can't lend a saw to someone who's never never run one. That would be nuts.

The first guy is even worse. He's already toasted two saws in the past year, and he's out asking to borrow one. I wonder if he made good on his girlfriends fathers' saw?

If a guy is actually a friend, and if I think he knows what he's doing, I would loan him a saw, since I have so many.

If he's just an aquaintance, which is what category "a guy at work" falls into, then I won't loan out anything.

I have a couple of friends that I will loan out saws to- but anyone else" I dont think so", We live in a rural area, so most people have a couple of saws and those who dont have saws should hire someone to cut up wood if they only need a saw every 2-3 years.

I no longer loan out saws, period.
I figure if they know how to run a saw the right way, then by god they should have their own.

I don't loan out my saws to ANYONE. I made an exception last year--very good friend who's an ex-logger, he could saw circles around me but he's now living life in suburbia with the wifey....

Anyway, he had some "pampas grass" in his back yard that he couldn't get rid off, so he wanted to borrow my little MS-250 and a root chain to cut up the root ball on this 6' tall grass. He promised me new what he was doing and that it wouldn't hurt the saw......

Bottom is that when he returned it the chain was all bound up and it was loaded with crap--it took me about 2 hours to clean all the crap off the saw and unplug the oiler ports just to make it work again much less look good, so NEVER again do I loan a saw to ANYONE.......

Been had too many times soooo...the only tool i lend is a twelve pound maul to which i heavily welded a five foot section of frost fence tube, it has yet to be broken...
cheers:cheers: alain

My father always said, " If you barrow something bring it back in better shape than it was in before you took or don't bring it back at all." meaning you may as well go buy a new one because you have done F'd it up. But I figure if I barrow it then that's an excuse not to go buy my own. and allot a times its hard enough to convince a women you need it.

I try my best to be a good friend and will loan out most anything I own, with two exceptions -- my truck and my saw. I'd rather work with or for someone than loan out these. I figure my good friends will accept this and respect me, the other guys weren't such good friends anyway.

If that were me and someone wanted to use my saw, I would answer yes but I go where it goes. If they are my friend enough to ask for my saw, then they are friend enough for me to help them. And my saw gets used properly, by me.

EGGSACKLY:agree2:

I like your Avatar Mickey..

I was told my a today about what happene.. He chuckle and gave me a few stories.. Told me eventually my list of tools I'd loan out would get smaller and the lost of people would get even smaller. At least I'm learning.!:givebeer:

Back