Twin cylinder saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mall ,Mercury ,Echo are just a few go to chain saw collectors corner by Mike Acres He has amazing amounts of pictures and info

Yes, Solo made one, I think it was a super twin, or something like it. but Solo made one model and I'm willing to guess that someone else made others.

Disston had one using an engine made by Kiekhafer (Mercury outboards). It is quite a story. After Disston got out of chainsaws, Wajax married the engine to a portable fire pump which was used into the 80's. I have one of those pumps but it is probably only useful for parts.

The Echo was a 6 something, think it was a 610. Was fairly vibe free and quiet with its apposed pistons. Combustion events and exhaust impulses tending to cancel each other out. Never ran one under cutting conditions myself but heard it was pretty weak for its size and weight.

Wow...went to mikes site. Those are some pretty big saws. Too bad the small solo, echo ones were so weak. I bet that with todays tech a pretty mean saw could be made. Probably a good milling saw cause of the weight, but out in the bush, those trees would run for their lives.

Two-Man Twin cylinder chain saws were made by Stihl, Titan, Disston, NSU (Ural) and IEL. One Man models were made by Solo and Echo. There was also a Reed Prentice experiment in the 1930's with a 4-cycle two cylinder engine.
The most successful by far was the Disston DA-211. We have just finished rebuilding and restoring one for use at fairs.

don't forget the titan blue streak.. it was a horizontally opposed twin.

Here at the college, we have an Army surplus, Mercury/Disston, that was built in 1946. It was retired by the army in 1951, one of the few true signs of military intelligence. It is in its original case with a spare chain still packed in cosmoline. Wt is given as 250 lbs, but I think that is case and all. It has a 30" cut limit since the oiler and chain tightener are on the outer end of the bar. It runs and is the only saw I will let the students operate one handed. If they can lift that one handed I am not going to argue on any point!!!!

Bob Underwood, MSU-Bottineau, ND

Back