Two chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two saw plan is a 660 and a 362. Limbing saw to me is one that can easily power a 20" bar without effort so I don't have to bend over. 660 doesn't get used often but it sure was nice on the 46" white oak I cut up the main trunk in less than an hour. A 461 would be nice as well
My two saw plan is up to six. or is it seven? to the op. good luck in your venture.

I prefer the 441 over the 461, smoother running and m-tronic. I know some will disagree, but I have run both extensively and if I had a 260 and was deciding between the 2 I'd go 441.
If you really need massive power, which sounds like you don't, you could go 661.
I have that very setup. A 441cmr with a 28" bar and a 260 with a 16" bar. A great combo in my opinion. Now just to get them ported!

I'd also recommend a small top handle for limbing - like the T192 mentioned above. If you can't afford 3 or more saws, take a good sharp axe with you. More than once I had all my saws either pinched or broke down and needed the axe to get things home before dark.
Tim

For what your cutting a 70+ cc saw and your good. I have a 372xp and 346xp and I want for nothing else. I would rather have 2 good saws, run them a lot, know them like the back of my hand than have a lot of extras saws to fill 'specific' needs. Unless your climbing why bother with a top handle - I never want another saw to limb than my 346 and I can continue to use it to buck until I need my 372. Invest in a second good quality saw 70+ cc and get to work. If ya get the itch later and can afford it go nuts, but you wont really need it. My 2 cents.

Tim

There is a reason why it is usually the professionals who use a t192 or t200. Dont listen to all the cowboys..lol..once you use a top handle saw you will never reach for that so called limbing saw ever again..;-)

Hi Cambellrw, welcome.
I think you have a pretty good plan and have chosen nice saws..... I showed up here with a pair of saws like 10 years ago and now I have like a dozen.... or 4 dozen.... I prefer Husqvarna, not that they are a lot better than Stihl's, but they are a little easier and cheaper for me to repair.

So, I usually run 262xp, 272xp, 395xp. I may have to go get a 362 to try against my nasty old 262xp's, I'm sure the stihl gets more wood cut to the gallon of fuel, but have my doubts about cutting speed.

There is a well known member here from PEI, named DSS. We call him the cow. I think he is a Campbell too. Any relation?

A 20 inch bar works great on a smaller saw for limbing. It increases your reach and you are seldom are loading the whole bar whan limbing.

Big bars increase the weight and risk of getting knicked.

I like a 14" on my smallest saw, and 16" on my intermediate saw. 16" will take a decent size tree down without whittle cuts, and is plenty long for limbing, yet doesn't endanger your shins and toes.

I second the comment about shorter bars being safer for limbing..i run a 12 inch bar on my 192t...it also helps the saw cut faster.

Tree billy..my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it..nothing...you can use whatever saw you like and i will continue to use my tophandle..lol

I tried. I prefer a 260 with a 18" bar and 3/8 chisel chain for limbing a down tree. I cut mostly with a 046 with a 20" bar and 3/8 chisel for firewood. I'll switch up to the 660, 28" bar for the real big stuff. 200's and 201's go up in the air with me.

! sure beats an axe with two sharp sides..... lol
bad part is,, that happened THREE times,, in the same day!!! ANNNDDDDD, only one time,, did I have to go home,, and get the FOURTH saw....twisted burr oak!!!! I only took out the fourth saw.. maybe I should have took three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

I second the comment about shorter bars being safer for limbing..i run a 12 inch bar on my 192t...it also helps the saw cut faster.

Tree billy..my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it..nothing...you can use whatever saw you like and i will continue to use my tophandle..lol
:clap::clap:

bad part is,, that happened THREE times,, in the same day!!! ANNNDDDDD, only one time,, did I have to go home,, and get the FOURTH saw....twisted burr oak!!!! I only took out the fourth saw.. maybe I should have took three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:
it's the nature of the beast, "WANT/NEED" to never have enough!!?? lol

Latest posts

Back