Two ricks is a truckload?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on who is stacking. The couple times I've taken a stack of rounds, split it and restated I had at best about the same amount, though usually less. The splits can be stacked tighter.
Try this. Take a few big carrots that just fit into a mason jar and cut them into thirds. Now slice them into strips that you would add to a salad. I doubt that you can get them back into that mason jar. Potatoes yield the same result.

I've also done his with blocks of wood. The smaller pieces never fit back in because of the air space that they require. I once split a large round into 45 splits. Two of them would have yielded 90 splits. In no way could those 90 splits ever have displaced the same or less volume as the two big rounds and whatever air was between them.

If your buying firewood, you better be able to do a little math. folks around here will come in with a long wheelbase ton pickup, wood heaped above the sides of the truck bed and claim they have a full cord. Aint going to happen, no way, no how. Measure that 8ft bed length and width, and then divide it into 128 and then you will know just how high that wood has to be stacked to equal a cord. That height is about even with the top of the back glass of the cab, with side boards, and if its thrown into the bed of the truck and not stacked, it had better be above the top of the cab. Rounding up a truck bed of wood wont come out to a full cord, no matter how well its stacked in the truck bed.

Well, we all do things different from region to region.

NOBODY here stacks wood in their trucks or trailers. It is all thrown in. Not many people here have side boards either. I know I don't.

The chances of firewood being advertised by the cord here are next to NONE. Rick and face cord are the terms used. Dry and seasoned are NOT mutual terms here.

Matter of fact, there just isn't many people around here that sell wood. Makes life easier for me selling to the lakers.

Thanks to you that found the need to chatise me though. When are any of you gonna step up and ship the wood here? People don't sell by the cord here. You need to show those uneducated podunks how things are done! Step right up and start hauling your firewood in and compete.

Some of the replies are less than decent. Oh well. I will remember this when one of you get screwed. Rant about it and I will tell you how much of an idiot you are too.
I barely get a cord on my one ton dump thrown on, its mounded to the point of looking like a stick could fall off. The only legal sale of firewood is cord or fraction of a cord and its federal law jfyi.

Note: bed is tad over 9 feet by 6.5 feet with just over 3 feet sides!

I guess it depends on who is stacking. The couple times I've taken a stack of rounds, split it and restated I had at best about the same amount, though usually less. The splits can be stacked tighter.

You are fooling yourself then. Everytime you split something it takes up more space after splitting. There used to be a sticky with experiments that proved it. General rule of thumb is a given pile will expand about 10% after splitting.

Slice a carrot into rounds, pack single layrer into a box top, dump, split and try to put all of them back in. Can't be done. You can run that experiment yourself while watching TV.

If your buying firewood, you better be able to do a little math. folks around here will come in with a long wheelbase ton pickup, wood heaped above the sides of the truck bed and claim they have a full cord. Aint going to happen, no way, no how. Measure that 8ft bed length and width, and then divide it into 128 and then you will know just how high that wood has to be stacked to equal a cord. That height is about even with the top of the back glass of the cab, with side boards, and if its thrown into the bed of the truck and not stacked, it had better be above the top of the cab. Rounding up a truck bed of wood wont come out to a full cord, no matter how well its stacked in the truck bed.

Yep. I deliver about 3/4 cord or a bit more with racks even with top of cab. Stack the first rick across the front of the bed and a rick across the back of the bed (makes a tailgate), rest thrown in. dthat is on an F150 but hauling well cured willow. Even with dry willow that is an overload.

Are you kidding? ? I cut a red oak log yesterday. 4 bucked 16" long pieces/massive chunks equaled 2/3 of a cord stacked.

Can't stack wood much tighter, than how it's stacked in solid form, before it's split. Every split you make = more airspace.

Quite a setup! That's about $300-400k of iron just in that pic!
Paving an acre or two.... around here that'd be a $150-200k paving job and would be destroyed in a few years by running heavy equipment on it (its soft)

It sounds like it's loose wood, so 196 cu ft is about a cord. I guess with a FEL it can be packed in reasonably well vs it coming off a conveyor.

Nice set up indeed gotta wonder how many cord an hour they can move, ValleyFirewood how many cord an hour can you process. We bought 3 cord last year that was debarked and tumbled. It was our 1st year with an OWB and I wasn't comfortable we had enough wood. I used my tractor to scoop up the wood he dumped off, had some piles of bark chaff in it but over all it was good. My wife has claimed the 1.5 cords left as hers for the wood stove, she loves the no bark, bug part.

We always had F600 dump trucks, and I marked the sides (Beds were 12' longX6' high, chipper boxes) with different color paint for 16", 20", and 24", to make stacking easier. I had a friend that sold a lot of firewood out of his F250. He cut his wood at just under 24". He made two four foot tall boards to go against the cab and tailgate. The space between the wheel wells is 4'. He made two rows 4" high front to back. You could put a tape on the stack while sitting on the truck, 4' high, 4' wide, and 8' long. No questions. Looked kind of silly going down the road, no one else stacked their wood like he did, Joe.

Nice set up indeed gotta wonder how many cord an hour they can move, ValleyFirewood how many cord an hour can you process. We bought 3 cord last year that was debarked and tumbled. It was our 1st year with an OWB and I wasn't comfortable we had enough wood. I used my tractor to scoop up the wood he dumped off, had some piles of bark chaff in it but over all it was good. My wife has claimed the 1.5 cords left as hers for the wood stove, she loves the no bark, bug part.

If I have someone stacking in the truck, with me feeding and running the processor I can do about a cord an hour. If I have another person feeding me logs while I run the processor and fairly straight logs, I can do about 2 cords an hr.

By myself, it's 2+ hrs a cord. I have to stop cutting after a bit, hop in the truck, stack, cut more, go get logs, stack, cut, etc.

The rounds don't stack tight, large air spaces.

Niether do the splits and you wind up with a lot of little spaces. Those spaces add up to more than what you started with. Try that simple experiment I posted above and you find out. I saw that 'expansion bit in a book back around 1960 and called BS. Then I tried a few tests - they were right.

Niether do the splits and you wind up with a lot of little spaces. Those spaces add up to more than what you started with. Try that simple experiment I posted above and you find out. I saw that 'expansion bit in a book back around 1960 and called BS. Then I tried a few tests - they were right.
I think the guy that modeled this was CurlyCherry. I haven't seen him post here for awhile. Today I had about a 2/3 load full of oak rounds cut to 18" lengths. Average diameter was 16". I could barely fit the splits back into the truck, four rows. Had the truck been packed full of rounds to start with, at least 60 splits would not have fit and maybe 100.

BTW, it's too dang hot and humid here to process wood these days. I need my head examined.

I think the guy that modeled this was CurlyCherry. I haven't seen him post here for awhile. Today I had about a 2/3 load full of oak rounds cut to 18" lengths. Average diameter was 16". I could barely fit the splits back into the truck, four rows. Had the truck been packed full of rounds to start with, at least 60 splits would not have fit and maybe 100.

BTW, it's too dang hot and humid here to process wood these days. I need my head examined.

Been in the 50s here. Rain for 3 weeks so far.

Yep. I deliver about 3/4 cord or a bit more with racks even with top of cab. Stack the first rick across the front of the bed and a rick across the back of the bed (makes a tailgate), rest thrown in. dthat is on an F150 but hauling well cured willow. Even with dry willow that is an overload.

My dump trailer is 6x10 and has 2ft sideboards. neatly stacked to the top of the sides would be 120cuft. round it up in the middle and I can get a cord on it pretty easy. I have yet to see any pickup with a larger bed size than my dump trailer and the sides of a pickup are usually only 16-18inches high. I have a buddy that sells wood out of a pickup. I have bought a few loads from him from time to time. Usually will buy a load when he has some that has been on the back of his truck for a day or two and he needs to get rid of it= buy at big discount. He used to tell me he had a cord on his truck, until I made him stack a load in my shed and then pulled the tape measure out. About 2/3 of a cord for a rounded 8ft truck bed is about right. Firewood around here goes for about $200 cord delivered. My buddy sells by the truck load for $100 a load, so even tho he isnt hauling a cord, he isnt beating any one either.

Yeah a long bed pickup is about 1/2 cord, short bed 1/3.
Unless the truck has side rails. I discovered that 18 years ago and that's when I built my own rails with 4/4 ash that maximizes the load volume. The heavy duty suspension, 4WD, and Monroe shocks can handle any firewood that I load on the truck. Considering the oddball places that I have to deliver it, that's a plus. You would not believe the steep slope of some driveways and roads that I have to negotiate with a full load on board.

Unless the truck has side rails. I discovered that 18 years ago and that's when I built my own rails with 4/4 ash that maximizes the load volume. The heavy duty suspension, 4WD, and Monroe shocks can handle any firewood that I load on the truck. Considering the oddball places that I have to deliver it, that's a plus. You would not believe the steep slope of some driveways and roads that I have to negotiate with a full load on board.
Lots of crazy driveways here in the mointains for sure.

I didn't know there were any hills In Nebraska lol! :)

Back