Two ricks is a truckload?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our area there HAVE BEEN LEGAL CASES where people sold ricks of wood (and shorted) and got sued. The legal case was won by the people who were shorted because kansas does state that a rick is 4x8x24" and the people selling were selling 4x8x20".

In Kansas and Oklahoma a rick IS a legal definition. its case law and you can get your butt sued over shorting someone. the length isn't arguable, but 4x8 is.

a rick is 32 square feet of face times whatever length it is.

I think I understand now, thanks for clearing that up.

All Rick-itiness aside, to me this is the issue...

The time to question what you are getting for your money is not after the sale has been consummated and the seller is far down the road. I would never buy something that I (and the seller) did not have an agreement on.

This example is just confirmation that paying after the job is completed is the only way to go.

Whether or not you got a bad deal is up to you and the seller.............the stack is either what you paid for, or not. No arguments, no fights with your wife.

and I'm gonna add one more:

I still haven't heard what the seller's response to the disagreement was. Don't expect AS to be judge, jury, and guillotine ( pardon my French ) when we're only getting one side of the story. For all I know the "other half" of the wood was coming the next morning. If you have a problem, you try to settle it between yourselves first.

So, I can sell my firewood for $120 a pickup truckload or I can sell it for $60 a rick.

Who is going to pay for my time on the phone explaining to the customer what a rick is? Not to mention they may feel stupid for not knowing what a rick is and never call me again.

Let me start off by saying, I cut my own firewood and sell a little on the side.

I built a new forced air woodburner (outside) to heat my house. Long of the short, I am burning three times the wood I have previously burned with the other add on furnace.

Being a very busy guy, I haven't got enough wood on hand, Got some logs around (dead elm) but not home yet as the weather has not been co-operating.

SO, I bought two "ricks" of wood from a local tree service to help tide me over till the weekend. I know the folks that own it, as our boys know each other. These folks have been selling wood for alot of years, more than me.

When the wood arrived today, I presumed it was only coming ONE rick at a time. Strange I thought to myself, as the guy had it in a dumptruck.

I know here, most anyone who describes a "rick", describes it as a pile stacked 4'x8' by cut length. Mind you I bought and paid cash for two ricks. SO, I should have a pile 4'x16' right? A pile like that thrown in just a normal pick-up truck should be a big heaping load, IMO. What I have on the ground is not more than a level truck load.

Also mind you I paid them 115 dollars for the TWO ricks. When I am selling, I sell a level truck load for 50 bucks.

Even had a good bit of little diameter limb wood and even pieces that were ALOT longer than I was told I would get. A few peices are 30+ inches and nothing was supposed to be more than 24 inches.

So, did I get hosed, or do I need to double/triple my wood prices? A cord goes for about 200 bucks in these parts, buying it by the truckload. (truckloads sell for 50-60 bucks):blob2:

P.S. my wife also was not happy in the least. Her comment was "I don't know much about wood, but for $115 we should have gotton more than a weeks worth of wood!" She also noted that it was no more wood than I loaded on my 3/4 ton truck and sold for $50.

I wish it was still summer. Leaves are falling off the trees and it's been cold enough to fire up the wood stove a few times. And I've been busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kicking contest with getting wood orders delivered. Rolling into my busy season though summer stayed quite busy as well.

Anyhow, I stack the wood in my trucks. It allows me to remove all the scraps, bark chucks, rotten pieces, resplit anything that's too big, also is an accurate measurement, and I can hold more in the trucks. Some of my deliveries are 150-200 miles each way so it really matters then. Have delivered a few loads to the middle of the Denali "highway". It's in the middle of nowhere! and highway... I've been on logging roads that are nicer!

i dont sell much firewood just a few cords here and there *10-20* to suplement the budget. but here its by the cord, the truck load 1/2ton truck, or bundle. i sell cords. how i measure is stack it all up on pallets 4ft wide *16" cuts* 4ft high*from the top surface of the pallet* 8ft long. when someone buys a cord they come here pay me load it from the pallet already stacked and away they go. they get to see that its a full cord stacked before they load it and i dont have to worry bout them being unhappy. most of the time i dont have it stacked more then a day or two before its bought . as for ricks well never heard of them before i got to AS. but from the sounds of it the OP got qorked over with this whole "rick" business

Wood Doctor, you posted on this thread in December of 2010. Why did you bring it back up in the middle of the Summer of 2016? I hope you didn't fall asleep and just wake back up! Just joking you know. But, dang that was a long nap, Joe.
Gadfry, I guess I did bring it back up again. Somebody liked my 2010 post and I thought the thread was rejuvenated. However, it is interesting. My truckload price has gone up by $20 in five years. Most of my customers still think I charge too little. They might be right because I stocked out last year and had to turn business away. I can usually pack in an average of 400 logs in a load, packed almost cab high with the side rails holding it. I also do the same thing that ValleyFirewood does -- make sure the truck bed is bare before loading.

Occasionally I get a request for a half load. For that amount I take the rails off and charge $65. My rail assembly is very easy to remove. At this point, I'm stocking up almost twice as much as last year. Most of the rounds were cut in the early spring, and they split beautifully now. The sun and wind should do the rest of the drying by fall.

Here is the state of Massachusetts take on it

Section 298. Cordwood sold or offered or exposed for sale shall be four feet in length. The term ''firewood'' shall be construed to mean and include wood cut to any lengths of less than four feet and more than eight inches. Cordwood and firewood shall be advertised, offered for sale and sold only in terms of cubic feet or cubic meters which will be construed as indicating the closely stacked cubic foot or cubic meter content to be delivered to the purchaser. The terms ''cord'', ''face cord'', ''pile'', ''truckload'' or terms of similar import shall not be used in the advertising and sale of cordwood or firewood. The term ''kindling wood'' shall be construed to mean and include all split wood, edgings, clippings or other waste wood averaging eight inches in length. Except as provided by sections two hundred and forty-three and two hundred and forty-seven, the standard unit of measure for kindling wood shall be the bushel of two thousand one hundred and fifty and forty-two hundredths cubic inches.

Yep I love this state:crazy2:

Section 298. Cordwood sold or offered or exposed for sale shall be four feet in length. The term ''firewood'' shall be construed to mean and include wood cut to any lengths of less than four feet and more than eight inches. Cordwood and firewood shall be advertised, offered for sale and sold only in terms of cubic feet or cubic meters which will be construed as indicating the closely stacked cubic foot or cubic meter content to be delivered to the purchaser. The terms ''cord'', ''face cord'', ''pile'', ''truckload'' or terms of similar import shall not be used in the advertising and sale of cordwood or firewood. The term ''kindling wood'' shall be construed to mean and include all split wood, edgings, clippings or other waste wood averaging eight inches in length. Except as provided by sections two hundred and forty-three and two hundred and forty-seven, the standard unit of measure for kindling wood shall be the bushel of two thousand one hundred and fifty and forty-two hundredths cubic inches.

Well, here in Indianer, we see wood, or sometimes would, advertised by the cord, chord, coard, truckload, bucket full, pile, rick, ric, rik, and many other terms made up on the spot by the seller. Of course it's all "seasoned". Most of it for at least a day or two. It's common knowledge that a rick is 1/3 cord, but if the seller doesn't know what a cord is, that doesn't mean much.

Gadfry, I guess I did bring it back up again. Somebody liked my 2010 post and I thought the thread was rejuvenated

LOL. Well, at least I know you woke up! I don't sell any wood anymore, maybe 3 or 4 cords to old friends. I used to bring home a cord every time I went to my farm in WV. But, I haven't kept up with the regulations on transporting wood across the line into MD, so I just stopped bringing it back. Well, I'll check this thread in 2022 and see if it's still rock'n, or rick'n, or rack'n, or whatever, Joe.

Huh, odd they don't consider cord to be a legal measurement. I wonder if it's because of the confusion with face cord?

My brother who lives in Maine says everything in his area is sold by weight not volume. Generally 5-6000lbs a cord, but it depends on species.

I usually always get asked how big my truckload is. I then tell them I pack in 82 cubic feet or about 2/3 cord, so it takes 1.5 truckloads to equal a full cord. Section 298 in MA has to be one of the most descriptive and detailed passages that I have seen in years. Thanks for posting that. I'll make sure that all my logs are over 8" in length.

I've often offered to bring in a box or two of kindling, but nobody seems to want it. I cannot believe that they even defined that in the same paragraph.

That has to one of the dumbest things ever put into law if true. Do you have a cite? I dtried google and couldn't come up with the state law. .

Well, here in Indianer, we see wood, or sometimes would, advertised by the cord, chord, coard, truckload, bucket full, pile, rick, ric, rik, and many other terms made up on the spot by the seller. Of course it's all "seasoned". Most of it for at least a day or two. Officially, a rick is 1/3 cord, but if the seller doesn't know what a cord is, that doesn't mean much.

Officially? It is actually in the regs that way?

Officially? It is actually in the regs that way?
Regs???????? No. How do I know that the animal beef comes from is a cow? How do I know the sun rises in the East and sets in the West? The point is, I don't know how I know it, I just do. It's just common knowledge. I have amended my comment from "officially" to "It's common knowledge that". There, happy now?

Latest posts

Back