Two ricks is a truckload?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terms defining wood are regional. Yes, I agree that a cord is a good legal definition. Most people in this area know what a cord of wood is but you never hear the term used. People buy wood by the rick in this area. The common definition is whatever length of wood the customer specifies x 4' high x 8' long.
Rick is a common term here in the heartland. It is obvious that in the NE that a cord is the standard term people use. I respect the fact that is the term and legal definition, but have the same respect for the terminology used in other parts of the country. There is absolutely no shortage of wood sellers in this part of the country, hell everyone with a saw seems to be selling wood this year.
One thing you never see here is wood sold by the truck load.

Since a "rick" has no legal definition, the buyer of one cannot complain that he was shorted. No court will accept his case.

I plain do not understand the stubborn retention of meaningless wood volume when there is a perfectly understandable, legal and long established one.

All those odd ball measures were mostly invented by scammers to cheat customers.

When I sell it is cords or fractions there of. Some one wants to buy a "load", "Ric," "bucket" etc. the bill will read a cord or fraction there of. If everyone would get on board and do things in a business like manner those asinine regional measures would disappear.

Harry K

Forget ricks of wood. Sell your firewood by the truckload and forget all other measures. Shucks, most people don't even know what a cord is, but they can see your truck when it arrives and they can tell when it's really full.

My truckloads are $100 and that's a also a number that's easy to remember. Pack the truck, throw on a few more logs for good measure, and let it go at that.

In Kansas and Oklahoma a rick IS a legal definition. its case law and you can get your butt sued over shorting someone. the length isn't arguable, but 4x8 is. its square feet of face vs. volume.. we don't do volume cause we can't mulitiply 3 number together like you educated easterners (gag me!)

In Kansas and Oklahoma a rick IS a legal definition. its case law and you can get your butt sued over shorting someone. the length isn't arguable, but 4x8 is. its square feet of face vs. volume.. we don't do volume cause we can't mulitiply 3 number together like you educated easterners (gag me!)

Not argueing if you are correct or not about legal definitions accepted in Kansas, and I've never bought or sold firewood (just cut and burn my own). But all of the wood burners I know use the term "cord" 4x4x8. I have heard the term "rick" and have even seen some sellers advertise rick in the paper or on CL. But cord is more commonly used at least in my experience in NE Kansas

So, what is a rick?

LMAO, some of you guys just aint right.

In my hillbilly part of Tennessee, its sold in ricks, or as wooddoctor said, by the truck load. Probably more sold by the truckload than any other. Kinda like, heres a truck load of wood, dont know exactly how much is on it, if you want it its yours, if not fine.....and they sell them like hot cakes.

A rick may not have a legal deffinition, but heres mine.
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 12''....= 1/4 a cord.
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 16''....= 1/3 a cord
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 24''....= 1/2 a cord
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 48'' :dizzy: = 1 full cord.
So a rick dont mean nothing unless you ask how long the wood is.

LMAO, some of you guys just aint right.

In my hillbilly part of Tennessee, its sold in ricks, or as wooddoctor said, by the truck load. Probably more sold by the truckload than any other. Kinda like, heres a truck load of wood, dont know exactly how much is on it, if you want it its yours, if not fine.....and they sell them like hot cakes.

A rick may not have a legal deffinition, but heres mine.
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 12''....= 1/4 a cord.
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 16''....= 1/3 a cord
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 24''....= 1/2 a cord
A rick= 4' high, 8' long, wood cut 48'' :dizzy: = 1 full cord.
So a rick dont mean nothing unless you ask how long the wood is.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

a rick is 32 square feet of face times whatever length it is. If you are dumb enough to order wood and not be there when it gets delivered and you think you got ####ed you should of been a little smarter and been there. the "by the truckload" thing seems to work REALLY well around here too, but its already stacked in wood racks in my yard so they know what they are actually getting.

Here is another Rick:

Ric_Flair.jpg

ricflair.jpg

Here in OK, most everyone sells by a "rick" and a few actually advertise what dimensions they are selling. I delivered to a house once and they were surprised by how much wood was in one of my "ricks." I deliver enough to fill a 4' x 8' area and my pieces range from 14"-18". I always have a little extra just in case I stack it a little better at their place than I did at mine. It seemed that customer got a little more than they did in the past for a "rick" of firewood. I would have to agree that if the definition of the term "rick" is not disclosed up front, a lot can go wrong.

Last edited:
im still confused.

the OP states his "ricks" that he sells are ~ 1/4 cord
(quote from first post: "A cord goes for about 200 bucks in these parts, buying it by the truckload. (truckloads sell for 50-60 bucks" - to me that means he never has more than 1/4 cord thrown in his truck) (imagine making 4 trips to deliver a cord of wood!? lol) anyway..
then he implies he was expecting his 2 ricks from this vendor to be more than 1/2 cord total !?
(2 ricks @ 16" is a lot more than half cord total wood)
keep in mind he also mentioned the wood is longer than 16".. which to me implies these ricks he just bought, are larger than the ones he sells

you can easily get 1/2 cord in the back of a full size pickup, which is all he should have bene expecting for his 2 face cords total.

the OP himself has jumped back and fourth between legit terms like cord, and nonsense like rick. you need to pick one way and stick with it, be legit and use cord, or bounce back and fourth when its convenient like he is doing right now.
when he sells a rick, its 1/4 cord, when he buys he wants 1/3 of a cord from the sounds of it.

if the op's ricks are 1/4 cords, then he shouldnt expect more than 1/4 cords from someone when buying..
he should have 2 ricks cut @ 12" lengths , if anything.. then the delivery would be on par with he himself sells.

Last edited:
Back