Two ricks is a truckload?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've sold "some" wood. not a lot, but some. It's ALL sold by the rick here in "our country". its just that way, don't ask why. If someone sells a "cord" they sell a "3 rick cord" which is 3 16" ricks to make the cord. In our area there HAVE BEEN LEGAL CASES where people sold ricks of wood (and shorted) and got sued. The legal case was won by the people who were shorted because kansas does state that a rick is 4x8x24" and the people selling were selling 4x8x20". The way out of that problem is to say a rick that is 4x8xrequested stove length. and its "about a rick" not a "full rick" you say full rick you'd better give them 4x8x24" and if they ##### that it doesn't fit tell them that's their problem. The price is the same whether its 12" or 16 or 18 or whatever also.

also, 16" wood stacked a little higher (less than 3 inches) than my truck (3/4 ton full sized) bed sides is 2 ricks, which would be 2/3 of a cord. So how on earth you guys can't get a full cord on a full sized truck is beyond me.

Thanks to you that found the need to chatise me though. When are any of you gonna step up and ship the wood here? People don't sell by the cord here. You need to show those uneducated podunks how things are done! Step right up and start hauling your firewood in and compete.

Some of the replies are less than decent. Oh well. I will remember this when one of you get screwed. Rant about it and I will tell you how much of an idiot you are too.

As I recall, your original post requested opinions and now you are angry that some have been posted? :bang: When you post in an open forum and ask for opinions you should be prepared for the responses. This example is just confirmation that paying after the job is completed is the only way to go.

NOBODY here stacks wood in their trucks or trailers. It is all thrown in.

what is the reasoning behind this?
especially if you dont have a trailer, why not take the most advantage of a an already small space?
if youre hand loading it and hand unloading it, i cant see why you wouldnt stack it and get twice as much in each trip, then again maybe its just a regional thing ?
you got a 3/4ton ford with an 8' bed, and youre carrying what most guys put in their ford rangers , just doesnt make sense:dizzy:

i still wondering the same thing though: even in the case of "ricks" "face cords" and all their cousins, why are people most concerned with the measurements of the front of the stack, rather than the overall volume of actual cu ft of WOOD? :dizzy:

Last edited:
the reason people don't worry so much about the cubic feet is because they requested it shorter than 24" so they know the volume. relativly anyway. People around here though are decent enough to not worry about screwing each other to bad most of the time also. If you deliver wood to someone they are always there the first time, and if you want to be in business very long you do it right anyway.

shorter than 24" leaves too much room for interpretation , that could be anything from 12"-22", one is almost twice the amount of the other... still makes no sense to me, maybe im just a slow learner , if a rick is 1/3 cord, call it 1/3 cord, if a rick is 1/4 cord, call it 1/4 cord.. from his story, it sounds like HIS ricks he sells are 1/4 cords( saying he sells ricks and can only get 1/4 cord on his truck_)
so it sound like all he should be expecting from the other guy is 1/2 cord total by the way he himself sells it...which does not = a 4x16" stack of wood, (unless that wood is all 12" long pieces).. but he said some were as long as 30"..again, maybe its me, but this whole scenario makes absolutely no sense , and could easily be rectified easily had they dealt in actual real terms of measurement that can be defined with numbers

I lived in Battle Creek most of My life and the terms used was face cord and full cord, Now I live 130 miles north and no one know what a face cord is. They call them ricks and cords. If you say face cord they expect a cord. One local company sell wood by the ton. Just dont deal with the guy if he screwed You over. ...... Honesty means alot.

i'm with everyone else on the "you should of known what you are getting part" i've decided. The only difference is that "most" of you guys know a cord is 128 cubic feet (4x4x8) and in my area pretty much everyone knows a "rick" "facecord" whatever is 4x8 by stove length and if no length is mentioned its defaulted at 16". OP should of been clear on terms or should of delt with someone he trusted and knew well enough. I ALWAYS ask people how big their stove is and they understand why wood is sold in ricks in our area (because no one has big stoves)

Well, we all do things different from region to region.

NOBODY here stacks wood in their trucks or trailers. It is all thrown in. Not many people here have side boards either. I know I don't.

The chances of firewood being advertised by the cord here are next to NONE. Rick and face cord are the terms used. Dry and seasoned are NOT mutual terms here.

Matter of fact, there just isn't many people around here that sell wood. Makes life easier for me selling to the lakers.

Thanks to you that found the need to chatise me though. When are any of you gonna step up and ship the wood here? People don't sell by the cord here. You need to show those uneducated podunks how things are done! Step right up and start hauling your firewood in and compete.

Some of the replies are less than decent. Oh well. I will remember this when one of you get screwed. Rant about it and I will tell you how much of an idiot you are too.

Anyone selling wood is in a business and therefore a professional. Professionals use professional, accurate terms. I wonder what your states weights and measures has to say about it. Some states lay it out, others don't mention it.

Definition of a 'rick' is any pile of wood normally cut to the same lenght. Thus 3 sticks 16" long is a rick as is a pile 1 stick high and 2 miles long.

That your region doesn't use cords is probably because,as you say, there aren't many sellers and the sellers can get away with it.

Harry K

When You see it in the truck You sould be able to tell if your getting boned on the deal or You should be cutting Your own wood, I sell it by the rick and everyone I deal with buys it by the rick. I like it When You take wood to someone and they call You back 2-3 days later and state You shorted them. Then You waste gas to check it out that there about 3 days worth Short, When they was out of wood when You showed up. With the stove pipe smoking away......................

As I recall, your original post requested opinions and now you are angry that some have been posted? :bang: When you post in an open forum and ask for opinions you should be prepared for the responses. This example is just confirmation that paying after the job is completed is the only way to go.

:agree2::agree2:

Get rid of these vague, namby, girly, candy a$$ terms for firewood whatever the local -isms are. Want to sell honsestly, with no argueing, educate your customers to :

1 CORD = 1 PILE/STACK/LOFT/KA-KA 4' X 4' X 8' . OR, TOTAL VOLUME = 128 CUBIC FEET PILED/STACKED ANY WAY.
You need no more. :sucks:

Want to sell ricks, chopped liver, face cords, piled pickup load, or potatoes then accept the flak from those you sell to. Cheeeeese...............:yoyo:

Terms defining wood are regional. Yes, I agree that a cord is a good legal definition. Most people in this area know what a cord of wood is but you never hear the term used. People buy wood by the rick in this area. The common definition is whatever length of wood the customer specifies x 4' high x 8' long.
Rick is a common term here in the heartland. It is obvious that in the NE that a cord is the standard term people use. I respect the fact that is the term and legal definition, but have the same respect for the terminology used in other parts of the country. There is absolutely no shortage of wood sellers in this part of the country, hell everyone with a saw seems to be selling wood this year.
One thing you never see here is wood sold by the truck load.

You lucky dog, we only dream of that kind of price. I would hate to guess what it would be delivered up to a penthouse in the city with a fireplace.
What do you do in those cases? Carry them up 15 pieces for a 100.00?

When I sold wood in north Florida, it was by the cord, or half cord. I could easily carry a 1/2 cord on a half ton short bed truck. Moved to Missouri 20 years ago and it's rick or rank here, which is a 4'x8' stack. I believe a rank is same as a rick, just cut longer, maybe wrong though, as I don't buy or sell wood here. Nobody uses the term cord around here.

2ptxats.jpg
well here's 1 mile from my yard:hmm3grin2orange:

firewood bandits

Let me start off by saying, I cut my own firewood and sell a little on the side.

I built a new forced air woodburner (outside) to heat my house. Long of the short, I am burning three times the wood I have previously burned with the other add on furnace.

Being a very busy guy, I haven't got enough wood on hand, Got some logs around (dead elm) but not home yet as the weather has not been co-operating.

SO, I bought two "ricks" of wood from a local tree service to help tide me over till the weekend. I know the folks that own it, as our boys know each other. These folks have been selling wood for alot of years, more than me.

When the wood arrived today, I presumed it was only coming ONE rick at a time. Strange I thought to myself, as the guy had it in a dumptruck.

I know here, most anyone who describes a "rick", describes it as a pile stacked 4'x8' by cut length. Mind you I bought and paid cash for two ricks. SO, I should have a pile 4'x16' right? A pile like that thrown in just a normal pick-up truck should be a big heaping load, IMO. What I have on the ground is not more than a level truck load.

Also mind you I paid them 115 dollars for the TWO ricks. When I am selling, I sell a level truck load for 50 bucks.

Even had a good bit of little diameter limb wood and even pieces that were ALOT longer than I was told I would get. A few peices are 30+ inches and nothing was supposed to be more than 24 inches.

So, did I get hosed, or do I need to double/triple my wood prices? A cord goes for about 200 bucks in these parts, buying it by the truckload. (truckloads sell for 50-60 bucks):blob2:

P.S. my wife also was not happy in the least. Her comment was "I don't know much about wood, but for $115 we should have gotton more than a weeks worth of wood!" She also noted that it was no more wood than I loaded on my 3/4 ton truck and sold for $50.

About your outdoor furnace;

If you fill it half full or more with standard full fire brick-3 by 8 or for that matter but the 12 by 12 fire bricks from crappie keith you will cut way back on your wood burning needs as th efire brick becomes a heat sink and holds the heat genrated by the fire and aids in burning as it maintains a very hot fire with lttle smoke.

There is no need to remove the brick to do any cleaning as there is very little ash or creosote left in the furnace at he end of the season.

About wood volumes; a scale ticket with one ton load is your best sales method and legal in all fifty states for commerce where you can charge a per pound price and have repeat customers with no issues.

:chainsawguy::bowdown:

Back