Two Years Of Improvements In Meteor Cylinder Kits (Brad's Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now we're talkin'! Make mine a New York Strip, medium.

strip.jpg

Take that NY strip, butterfly it,hit it on the grill for 30 seconds, fill with fried oysters and blue cheese, tie it closed, grill just enough to melt the cheese, rest 10 minutes, cover with Hollendais and brown sauce.

Serve with COLD beer and Syracuse Salt Potatoes.

You will need a cesarean to take a dump but well worth it.

Read the whole thread.

Turned out well enough. I'll buy Brad and Randy both a steak in February.

2:45pm in Japan and I'm really hungry after all this talk of steak!! Dinner tonight.......Rib-eye, bone-in!! Squash with a little brown sugar.
IMAG0127.jpg

Breakfast, Jimmy Dean sausage with about 6 runny eggs and ice cold milk!
IMAG0126.jpg

A cool refreshment before, during and after dinner!
IMAG0128.jpg

While I read the rest of these threads I've missed!

I miss all those "sticky" threads last night

Went out and had dinner and when I got home they were all gone :msp_angry:

why? it's no different than the other thread other than who the original poster was. i'd rather hang out in a Mastermind thread. no need for a captain america or any other super hero for the general populous of AS.:potstir: we're all grown men, earn our money and can spend it how it best serves us. if i need an opinion on saws.... it comes to Randy thru pms. I respect what he says and place great value on our friendship.:msp_wink:

There's a lot of life left in this thread yet. Of course it says something that the facts were presented, the case made, and we even had a little time for steak in this thread. There was no defending, restating, redirecting, or deflection needed here. Hell, couple pages back I even got a recipe for a steak dinner. :msp_biggrin:

How much do these Meteor kits actually sell for? Kind of wondering how much is really saved over OEM pricing. Compared to list, maybe a lot. Compared to some more reasonable pricing, there may not be enough savings to bother with the AM kits. I sell a 372XPW or 346NE kit for $200, so why mess with AM at that price. I do understand what Indiansprings and some guys are saying regarding giving customers an alternative besides an expensive rebuild and a brand new saw. I have done a few jobs where I've cleaned up a jug and used an aftermarket piston to keep the cost down and get someone going. And I've had much better luck cleaning a used jug than using a complete aftermarket kit.

I think you need to look at the savings as a percentage of the complete project cost. A do it yourself guy can save a lot percentage wise. But add in the rebuild labor at a shop like mine, or the port work of any of you builders, plus shipping, and the percentage saved decreases; along with the liitle more risk that everything could be for nothing. Put another way, if you're going to have several hundred $ invested in the project, does it make sense to shave $100 by going with an aftermarket kit?

I don't see anyone being right or wrong here. We all have a comfort level based on our own personal experiences. If you've had good luck with them, there's no reason not to continue to use them. If they haven't held up, you shy away.

In my personal experience using Forester and Mako kits, (likely the same thing), consistancy just wasn't there. In fact, it sucked. (The Meteor stuff may well be better.) Some are still going, and some went kaboom right away. So, I came to the conclusion that I don't want to mess with them anymore. I'm the one that has to stand behind them, and no matter what you tell the customer before hand, you still get the "you did it" look if something goes wrong. Plus, I don't like uncertainty, so why add it to the equation if it doesn't need to be there?

Here is one for you guys. When these kits catch up or pass the OEM ones will you still refuse?. Problem with a lot of gruff towards the aftermarket kits starts wither the OEM's themselves putting a hurting on dealers who use them then it makes dealers tell customers they are junk so they can still make.even more money and make thier suppliers happier by using there parts. If they didn't charge a ridiculous amount and have an obscene markup on kits from them the aftermarket kits wouldn't exist. What about a "ported" as cast unit it won't be as good as a hand.ported one but a noticable difference to the regular user without having to send it out to be ported.

I don't do very many piston/cylinder jobs - But when I do it's it's gonna be new or used Mahle
or the customer takes the saw to another shop. I just won't do anything else. But that's just me.

I won't charge a customer $40 an hour to "clean-up" a crappy cylinder period.

I can get them used on eBay or chainsawr...sponsor here.
You might have to wait for a good one to come up..but so be it.

I just do neighborhood work soo..it's very important to me that what I service works well..
If you have a good reputation and something goes wrong...you probably still have a good reputation
If you get a bad reputation (and bad news travels fast) you gotta do a whole lotta good to get back..!!

Mahle is quality..and you pay for it..so be it - the exhaust on the Mahle is perfect..on the Meteor..well...

Meteor really could rule the aftermarket..just make consistent cylinders like they do their pistons.
Up the price if need be..it would still pay-off BIG and they would get more sales...

Meteor could absolutely OWN the aftermarket if they would just somehow match Mahle quality.
But they choose not to..??
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Back