Two Years Of Improvements In Meteor Cylinder Kits (Brad's Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think downing these kits is a step backwards IMHO, stating obvious applications and flaws and presenting as positive critizism is much better. remember a time when we had NO CHOICE but to buy OEM kits... alot of saws saw the scrap pile cause it just wasnt worth it most of the time. personally from the saws i've got my hands inside of. the best machined line(as a whole is dolmar, followed closely by jonsered). I for one am glad this chicom stuff exists. first off it gets guys with little$$ back up and going, or cheap parts for the tinkerer/modder. Second it shows which OEM saws are made with love and care and which arent. some AM kits are steps above the OEM's. My MS260 i pulled it apart today(will have pics in a new thread shortly) i was shocked at the total POS cylinder on the saw and it said STIHL on it, i honestly think an AM kit would be an upgrade for the saw if i wasn't gonna throw my hand in it at porting it.

Brad let me give you and example. As a SBC guy...and i;ve built more than my fair share. it's the same deal. should you buy the eagle balanced rotating kit from china for $650 and pop it in and go it'll handle 450hp and unless you put it in a torture chamber at a OEM place you wouldn't see the difference. Or go and buy the super light weight gun drilled knife edged hardened crank like i would(same feelings as you towards low quality stuff). or go and buy ProComp canadian heads at half the price and port em and still only flow 280cfm or buy the RHS heads and flow 312cfm out of the box but the castings alone are $1200.

My point is i admire your attention to detail, but i would walk alittle more softly...you can explain and express your opinion of things but you really can't try and make us all think like you do. not an insult towards you at all...just alittle insight of why some of us may be alittle put off ya know

That was an excellent post. Your last part was spot on and well taken:cheers: I will try to heed that advice.

:too_sad:

eat%20more%20chicken.jpg

it was steak night here at the Tesla household. My lovely daughter, wife and my fat self enjoyed rib eye steaks while Andre elected to go with a t-bone. I used to like Andre, I'm not so sure now. While I was taking a crap, he was outside fondling my grill. I didn't like the way he put the grates on too early. I wondered why he would do that. Then it became very clear. He was intent on sabotaging my steaks. As long as Andyshine77 and I have been friends, we've debated cuts of steak. I prefer the clearly superior and manly rib-eye, Andre the girly tenderloin. Now the only thing I can think of is that he knew he lost the great steak debate (even though his t-bone actually had nicer marbling) and was intent on ruining all of our fun. That bastard.

btw, no cows related to DSS were consumed for this post

Nik, you still don't get it. Why would you pay premium beef prices for steak that is half fat and grisel? There is no cut better than the filet, though a T-bone is the happiest medium. Listen to Andre; he knows a thing or two about meat....

it was steak night here at the Tesla household. My lovely daughter, wife and my fat self enjoyed rib eye steaks while Andre elected to go with a t-bone. I used to like Andre, I'm not so sure now. While I was taking a crap, he was outside fondling my grill. I didn't like the way he put the grates on too early. I wondered why he would do that. Then it became very clear. He was intent on sabotaging my steaks. As long as Andyshine77 and I have been friends, we've debated cuts of steak. I prefer the clearly superior and manly rib-eye, Andre the girly tenderloin. Now the only thing I can think of is that he knew he lost the great steak debate (even though his t-bone actually had nicer marbling) and was intent on ruining all of our fun. That bastard.

btw, no cows related to DSS were consumed for this post

Nik you no good fat bastard!! I saw you watching me the whole time, I was playing head games with you, and your meat all at the same time.:msp_scared: Poor Nik was going crazy watching me out there, it was like I was hitting on his wife or something, never come between a fat man and his food.:msp_wink:

Nik, you still don't get it. Why would you pay premium beef prices for steak that is half fat and grisel? There is no cut better than the filet, though a T-bone is the happiest medium. Listen to Andre; he knows a thing or two about meat....

because, unlike you and the so called meat expert, I'm not a little girl.

I'm with Nik on the steak subject. Ain't no Filet gonna taste like a good Ribeye or T-bone cooked right. The Marbling and fat is where the flavor comes from. Thats why they wrap bacon around a filet; to give it some artificial flavor. :msp_biggrin:

I feel both violated and traumatized...

Several beers may alleviate that situation.

I'm with Nik on the steak subject. Ain't no Filet gonna taste like a good Ribeye or T-bone cooked right. The Marbling and fat is where the flavor comes from. Thats why they wrap bacon around a filet; to give it some artificial flavor. :msp_biggrin:

What you did there, I see it!:clap:

I want a nice fatty ribeye, where there are so many fat lines in it you can pull it apart with a fork. Mmmm! I'm salivating thinking about it.

What I have learned...

From life in general and this thread I have come to see different perspectives. There are a ton of great guys and gals here on AS, and I honestly havent met one member that wouldnt offer help or advice to a fellow member. That being said, opinions do differ, as well as approaches to life and porting saws. Well 4 some of you guys life IS porting saws.:msp_smile:

I always try to find the value in everything. What do I get for what I spend? That drives most of my decisions, cause I just aint made of money. Some things I skimp on to allow more for others. One thing I dont skimp on is getting my dollars worth. I dont want to pay for a pound of burger and only get 3/4 pound. Trust me, I have been jipped a time or two and it stings. If I could afford it I may choose to eat only certified angus beef. Since I cant, I resort to what my inlaws give us or we can afford at the store.

Some of us can afford and choose to pay for top of the line parts and service. Some cannot and go other directions. Its all about what is important to each of us. That happy medium between value and top notch items is a line most of us have to walk.

I really cant speak to the cost of some of these OEM and aftermarket kits. I dont know what they all cost, or what a repaired saw will be worth after putting one on. I cant justify even spending 100 plus dollars for an aftermarket engine on an 029 Stihl. If the saw was FREE -with labor added, most days of the week you will be lucky to get your money back out of the saw in the local market.

I am glad there are aftermarket options available for the local woodcutter who wants a saw running again for less than the cost of a new one. I DO NOT want to have to pay for it twice. Im guessing 99% of us would want a new OEM if they were similar in price. It is a more trusted and proven name brand part. If we are talking about a 066 or a 395 husky then it may be worth it to put more expensive parts on it- the saw new is over 1000 bucks.

I think what the general public wants is a lower cost option that is CONSISTENTLY WELL BUILT, RELIABLE, and lower priced enough that its worth SAVING money on. About the only way we will see this happen is if we TEST, offer input to these companies, and educate the saw owners on what flaws may exist in any product. Because flaws exist in every batch of product made.

Everyday people spend too much money on things they cant recoup the cost of. Most of the used ported saws for sale here people never get their port money back on when they sell them. Its a fact of life on anything you modify.

Both Brad and Randy are super fellas. They both have their reasons why they offer certain options to their customers. They are both experts in my opinion when it comes to saws and i would trust both of them to steer me in the right direction if they had my saw. Lets support these aftermarket companies, communicate with them on problems we may find, and most of all Support our Site Sponsors. Cause if we didnt have our friends on AS, we would be sitting at home #####in' to ourselves.

Man. I've read every post in both these threads. There's a lot to be gleaned from these threads and it doesn't necessarily have anythng to do with saws. Sure can learn a lot if you stay out of the debate and just read. I see the dollar value in the aftermarket kits for the average firewood hack. If one was going to be used in my saws, my money would be on Randy. He has never steered me wrong, if he says it- you can take it to the bank and cash it. I think Randy could get just as much if not more out of it than anyone else here. I am very confident in Randy's work and his R/D- enough that I have no need to try other builders even though that was recently suggested. You cant put a price on peace of mind, trust, or friendship.

And I like Ribeyes and Pecan Pie and Runny Eggs!:D

Latest posts

Back