Tygon size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree, I learned the hard way. Tygon line sucks.

i think everyone learns the hard way when it comes to tygon LOL. most guys don't wanna hear it either. they'll use it UNTIL they learn the hard way LOL i learned the hard way but i wasn't ever told it was trash until i found out for myself.

the stuff i used was genuine tygon from the dealer though. i have learned to just not trust any fuel line that is transparent and/or has shiny film. it seems the black line with that light white powder on it is the best stuff and lasts the longest. it seems exact to OEM too. my 372 still has it's original line from 03 :). it's not hard or mushy either. it just never sits.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331120034053?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

What do you do for .117 x .211 for husky 50's?

Now that I have more time on clearly labeled St Gobains yellow "TYGON 4040", I will declare my results for this blend. I have a friends saw that I know I worked on and changed the lines maybe two years ago.
What I found is......
The lines interior to the tank and therefore the E-10 was both internal and external to the line. That is where the line got very weak and the weight of the filter broke the line off. Outside the tank the line was internally still full of fuel but was plenty strong and would have been OK.
I will continue to use what I have on hand for lawn mowers, motorcycles but clearly I have discovered or verified the failure mode to my own satisfaction.
I did some research and will move up to the next higher grade of tygon.
LP1500 10%
LP1200 The superior fuel resistance and compatibility with ethanol-enhanced fuels allow worry free operation.
LP1100 The Fluoropolymer liner is compatible with higher ethanol blend gasoline up to 100%. How about the external wall????
Additionally I no longer use any E-10 mix AT ALL in any of my 2 strokes... saws, weedwackers or blowers
FWIW I'll be calling St Gobain in Pennsylvania tomorrow to get their take on all this and recommendations if any......

@fordf150

I was wondering if you have had a chance to use, and how you like the Stens blue 100% ethanol compatible line ?
How has it held up, etc....

The Oregon parts website no longer claims any ethanol compatibility ............... when I purchased the 3 rolls of 259 from them, I did so under the auspices of it being shown to be compatible with ethanol ................. now that information is no longer shown on their website. Also, its not indicated as being ethanol compatible on the boxes that the rolls came in.

My customers and friends equipment, as well as my own stuff, deserve good quality fuel lines.

I seen problems with about every line used customer machine to date but I will ordering and trying the Stens True Blue line. So far I have had fairly good results using the Tygon F4040 line just depends which oil mixes and additives are used. I have seen some blue/green line use on Poulans that is just about worthless as the others.

I am sourcing the the new Stens line from Tulsa Engine Warehouse.

As with any new product it will take time to get any valid but I do have several old trimmer and blowers that restoring this fall that will sit thru the winter fueled up.

Thanks AVB, I have 25 feet of the Stens blue line in my cart from fordf150's website. Just waiting to hear from him on its use in the field.

I guess I will have to dunk a section of the Oregon 259 into a jar with a lid and some "normal pump gas" (read 15-20% actual ethanol content) to see for sure.

The Tygon 4040 has failed on me too much, I threw the rest of what I had in the trash when the Oregon 259 stuff showed up

@fordf150

I was wondering if you have had a chance to use, and how you like the Stens blue 100% ethanol compatible line ?
How has it held up, etc....

used it on 2 pieces so far IIRC. I dont like it personally. It is stiff and hard to work with in confined spaces like the poulan chainsaws. Cant comment on longevity of it though since its only been a couple months since installed and i wont know anything until it rots off and the customer brings it back in to be fixed again. I try to use the black Echo line as much as possible. 4040 tygon is the only thing available in .080x .140 which is what i use the most of. stens 115-327 is the other but cant remember what size it is or what formulation it is.

Thanks fordf150 !!
I just ordered 25' of 3/32 x 3/16 from you.

I figured I might as well throw in a piece of it with a piece of the Oregon 259 into the awesome pump gas I get and see which one comes out the winner.

As for the black Echo line ............... do you use it as replacement line in submersed fuel situations .............. like in tank pick-ups (generically speaking ........ blowers, weedeaters, etc.) ?

yes. the bulk black Echo line is what every Echo trimmer/drill/blower/cultivator comes factory with for submersed and exterior lines. New stuff(2012 and newer) comes with a different line that is multi layered for EPA evaporative emission requirements though.

Moparmyway
didn't think you are addressing me ?..@ fordf150

However I'll add...I called St Gobain on the 15th
RE:tygon 4040
Problems using tygon 4040 with E-10. Looking for recommendations.
Company telephone operator claims to not have the ability to refer to
application engineers

LP1500 10%
LP1200 The superior fuel resistance and compatibility with
ethanol-enhanced fuels allow worry free operation.
LP1100 The Fluoropolymer liner is compatible with higher ethanol blend
gasoline up to 100%. How about the external wall????

On 2015-09-15 11:28 AM, SGNorthAmericaInfo wrote: I will look into this. What phone number were you calling?

I said
610-341-7000
Thanks for looking into this.
I have a post on a 3000 member forum that I would be looking into the tygon 4040 issue. Would like to give them a positive response.
thanks
---
Dave

2015-09-19
I'm still waiting................................................

Moparmyway
didn't think you are addressing me ?..@ fordf150

However I'll add...I called St Gobain on the 15th
RE:tygon 4040
Problems using tygon 4040 with E-10. Looking for recommendations.
Company telephone operator claims to not have the ability to refer to
application engineers

LP1500 10%
LP1200 The superior fuel resistance and compatibility with
ethanol-enhanced fuels allow worry free operation.
LP1100 The Fluoropolymer liner is compatible with higher ethanol blend
gasoline up to 100%. How about the external wall????

On 2015-09-15 11:28 AM, SGNorthAmericaInfo wrote: I will look into this. What phone number were you calling?

I said
610-341-7000
Thanks for looking into this.
I have a post on a 3000 member forum that I would be looking into the tygon 4040 issue. Would like to give them a positive response.
thanks
---
Dave

2015-09-19
I'm still waiting................................................
Thats great !!
I am waiting along with ya !!

Response from Oregon:

Hi,

Thanks for your order with us. Please do note we have not updated our website in recent months or even for the last year.
We do our updates in the off season and last year we did not do one so I am wondering were you saw the ethanol rating.
I have even to be sure checked the update history and none of our products in fuel line have had any changes made to them.
I pulled out our current catalog and I have attached the fuel line page and it states in the book that Oregon sends to us that their
Oregon Fuel Line is Tested to withstand as high as 30% Ethanol Fuel Content. I have added a screen shot from the book for you.
Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Marc Ledder
OregonPartsStore.com

So it seems that the rating for 30% IS there, just not on their website.

I suppose its good to have the Stens 100% and Oregon 30% in the same jar of pump gas with ethanol ............. cant hurt to see which one (if any) gets soft and mushy, or dried and cracked first.

Also have about 30 pieces of OPE out there running the Oregon 30% tubing .................. time will tell

Attachments

• Oregon-Fuel-Line.PNG
    Oregon-Fuel-Line.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 14
Package from Nate arrived today ............. has some excelon and Tygon 4040 in there along with the new Stens blue. Thanks Nate !!
Now I dont have to look for a scrap of 4040 !!!

Putting together the 2 jars today ................ and I have more than enough fuel line to see what happens side by side against each other in the same jar.

Great idea Nate, and thanks again !!!!!!

So will this echo line replace the husky curly fuel lines?
I bought the curly husky line one time. Every husky since has gotten echo bulk line. The echo bulk line is my go to line for every fuel or impulse hose I need. Holds up good as impulse line. Actually holds up better than the Dolmar impulse line and the dolly stuff is about 3x the price

I bought the curly husky line one time. Every husky since has gotten echo bulk line. The echo bulk line is my go to line for every fuel or impulse hose I need. Holds up good as impulse line. Actually holds up better than the Dolmar impulse line and the dolly stuff is about 3x the price
I'll have to get some of it then. It on your website?

Yes. I think it is 90014. I was supposed to check to make sure of the popular size for nsteve and have been so busy the last couple days I haven't had a chance. Might see how that true blue holds up....it's 100% ethanol compatible. I haven't used much of it yet....I keep forgetting it's there and continue to grab the spools of echo line

I put new Tygon ( from a local auto parts store) on about 16 saws 2 years ago. I ran them with fuel stabilizer then ran them out of fuel completely and put them on a shelf. This last winter I got a couple down to cut fire wood with the line was as hard as if it had been on the saws since 1947. I went to my local dealer and he sold me a couple feet of what he called " Echo" line great stuff it is charcoal color and works great.

I wish guys knew what blend or formulation they were actually reporting on, and would declare it, since tygon is just a family of dozens of plastic made by St Gobains if marked.
yellow plastic...black rubber....blue gooo If you don't know what it is, then why bother???

Still silence out of my inquiry to St Gobain. Time for a second cannon shot over their bow.

Latest posts

Back