Typical 'Harry Homeowner' post:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had a P/T job @ home depot, I sold a "Wild thing" & a cart load of chains to go with it.

The woman & her husband (after I explained how/why etc... to file chains) told me that it is impossible to file a dull chain & get it as good as a new one.

She said "When they are dull, you can't sharpen them, you have to buy a new one" She actually argued with me, about how she has been using saws all her life & knows what she is doing........

I guess thats why they came there to get that "Wild thing" in the first place.

All I remember was wanting to slap them both silly.

" I get these chain throws, so I tighten the chain down real hard, but the chain still comes loose, actually, it kinks, than tightens, then comes looser than a limp dishrag, is there sumpin I am doin' wrong, or is my Husky dumber than a sack of hammers?"
" I also see sparks when cutting poplar, is the wood that hard, cause I need a saddle to ride this rocked out Muckaluck thru the cut. My Dad always did it this way."
Pal, your dad was 3 fries short of a Happy Meal.
Humphrey Dumbroski

What colors can I get this saw in?

How often do I have to change the oil?

Does this "hurt" the tree? (as if a tree feels pain when being sawed)

Will this electric saw do alright cutting firewood this winter?

"I need a couple a new blades" What size sir? "I got me an 18 inch" Well it would be best to bring it in, so you get the right chain. "Hrmph"

I dunno why, but that whole "blade" thing annoys the hell out of me.

My jigsaw takes blades. So does my hacksaw, my sawzall, and my skilsaw. My CHAINSAW takes a friggin' BAR dammit! a BAR! And a CHAIN! not a BLADE!!!!

Hi Erik, I hear what you're sayin, almost like a saw had a sword on it or something. Blade, yes, your saw has a 20" blade, yes, I will hire you in a heartbeat, but you need a 20" chainsaw to fit in this crew, and why wouldn't you?
Harry the Homeowner.

SilverBlue, Like the walmart add!

What the heck is "no load cutting speed"?

They claim 9 m/s, I would have though that cutting speed would = ZERO if your not cutting/loading the saw.

or does this claim indicate that the saw will cut through wood at a rate of 9 m/s with out loading the motor?

Timberwolf

Timberwolf - Good Point!

I assume this should be "No Load Chain Speed" which is the speed of a free spinning chain.

Probably 9m/sec (29 ft/sec) is fast for an electric, otherwise it wouldn't be listed.

We are used to looking at RPM spec's for the gas chainsaws. I'm assuming the electrics all run at the same rpm from 120 volt AC power. Chain speed varies from the amount of gear reduction used.

BTW - The pic seems to be a gas saw!

Mike

meters/sec

Chain speed is meters/seconds, holding the throttledown, saw out of the wood and a homeowner would ask if it cuts 9 meters of wood per second. Heard em ask it myself. :D ROFLMAO How old is that add?

"I have a chainsaw in the garage. Can I help cut it up?"
How do you tell this guy he's only going to be in the way?

shooter, I doubt they would have gear reduction. Gas chainsaws are direct drive and typically run a roughly 12,000 RPM, it just would not be fiesable to make an AC motor of higher RPM and gear it down.

I would bet that they would just use a circular saw motor to drive the saw (cheep and about the right shape, power ect...) I checked the math quickly and a 5500-5800 rpm circular saw motor would produce chain speeds in that area with a 7-8 tooth sprocket.

29 fps is still only a third of the 91 fps of the Makita electric saw!

Timberwolf

Timberwolf - Yeah, I looked at the spec's on the Makita saw. That's probably a screamer for an electric.

Assuming a gas saw has a 1 1/2" spur sprocket diameter & running at 13,000 rpm, this calculates to a chain speed of roughly 1000 fps (If my math is correct).

I don't know what the vaue of this spec might be. At full throttle on a gas saw, the dba's probably make a bigger impression than the chain speed!

Mike

Think you moved the Decimal 1 spot.

About 100 fps.

A thousand FPS is nearly the velosity of a .22 short.

13000rpm x 8 teeth x .75 inches per driver / 12 inches in a foot / 60 seconds in a minute

gives about 108 fps

Latest posts

Back