Tzed250's Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great review John......

I can't wait to get my grubby paws on one of these puppies. :msp_smile:

Quote from the OP................. I'm of the school that says 50cc-16", 60cc-18", 70cc-20", 90cc-25" and >.

My school says 50-55cc 18-20", 60cc 20"minimum, 70cc 24"minimum, and 90cc 28" minimum

Different schools for different folks. :msp_wink:

I have no doubt that you will transform an already great saw into an absolute wood weapon!!

I've noticed a large gain in torque after running close to 5 tanks through it. It did require a light touch at first but it's picking up nicely. How many tanks have you run so far? It will change a lot, as you notice the autotune learning you'll notice the torque and powerband changing as well :)

Very good review!

The 550/555/562 are really milestones in design. I hope they hold up. No problems with my 555 yet. I am using it more and more for duties that I used 50cc saws for.

I have been complaining about the silver clutch covers for some time on the newer 346's. The finish looks like crap almost immediately. How hard can it be to clearcoat?

I may have to pony up for a 550 or a 562 sometime. I look forward to when Husqvarna will apply these design principles to a 70cc saw!

It simply amazes me how much stock I put into the opinions of the guys on this site. This has my mouth watering for a 550xp more than any ad campaign Husky (or any other company) could ever release.

It simply amazes me how much stock I put into the opinions of the guys on this site. This has my mouth watering for a 550xp more than any ad campaign Husky (or any other company) could ever release.

Nothing like the words of someone who has nothing to gain or lose in a situation.
I just went out and put a couple more tanks through the 550. Like TK said, the torque is getting better.:). I am loving this Autotune thing! No matter the conditions the saw will max itself out. I know FI is the end road, but for now this electronification leads to gratification!

Yep these guys make me want to try one. I tried the 346/2153 but it left me super disappointed . Maybe the 550 will deliver or I'll wait for the new 572?

After putting some more time on my 550XP I thought I would share some observations about my first real Husqvarna.

1. It is interesting to listen to the Autotune while it educates itself. As I run the saw more it is smoothing out, but it occasionally has to find its way.

2. The RPM that the saw will make is amazing. The RevBoost is quite noticeable. If you start a cut before the revs build you never notice it. When the saw is allowed to spool up before the chips are thrown the RevBoost makes it happen. When it comes to limbing I think the 550XP will be the Highlander. There can be only one!

3. The sound! This is one great sounding saw, and I'm sure it will sound even better with a MM!
The 550 reminds me of a well ridden 125cc MX bike. When the 550 is on the RevBoost it sounds much like a pro rider sliding into a deep sand berm, grabbing WOT, and fanning the clutch for an explosive corner exit!

4. The flipside of the rev coin. Low RPM torque seems to be MIA. Now I know that the point of this saw is not to pull a 28" bar in Red Oak. My observation is based on my experience with my 026 and 028Super. The 028 is much more comfortable with a 16" bar buried in hardwood. This is no slam on either the 028 or the 550XP. My 028 has a mild port job and MM, and for a 30+ year old design it will hold its own. My point is a little lighter touch is needed with the 550.

5. The oiler. As far as I can tell the oiler has three settings. Small, medium, and large. I guess for 11", 13", and 15-16" bars. The middle setting was not keeping the bar oiled with the 16" bar, so I it turned it wide open. At the grande setting it oiled the 16 OK. A 20 you say? IDK. I'm of the school that says 50cc-16", 60cc-18", 70cc-20", 90cc-25" and >.

6. Operation vibration. This saw is smooth. Today I ran it with the Husqvarna .325 NK bar spinning Oregon 20LPX. The first tank had the saw wearing Stihl 3/8 RS. The .325 is surely smoother, but the 3/8 wasn't bad. One thing about me is that most vibration doesn't bother me. Heck, I'm the guy that took the standard AV bushings out of my MS660 and installed the hard bushings. None the less, I acknowledge the smoothness of the 550XP, and I like it!

7. PMOI, or "That's what Niko said!!!" Polar moment of inertia, or for the Norwegianicaly inclined among us, the "sideways balance". This saw will move in your hands with the smallest of effort. Husqvarna made the 550 low-profile because the roll-axis is much more important in limbing than the pitch-axis. Bases loaded home run.

8. Fit and finish. With this series of saws I think Husky has made the leap across the gap to Stihlland with the F&F. The details on this unit are well worked out, and the saw is enjoyable to look at, as well as run. The metal handlebar is one feature that I see as a true plus. There are still a couple of gnats in the clearcoat, but overall this is great work by Husqvarna.

9.Fuel consumption, or lack of fuel consumption actually. This jewel sips the petro. I've only run it on Stihl Motomix and the runtime on a tank is impressive. With the new visible fuel level I kept on glancing at the tank looking for a sign that it needed a refill, and all I got was "Keep cuttin', buddy!" With the price of Brontosaurus remains these days I call this magnificent engineering.

10. Command decision. The control center is nice. The saw usually needs high idle for a hot restart and the switch makes actions like this easy. All of the vital elements are laid out well and within easy reach for starts and stops.

Dislikes? A few. The silver paint is worthless. It wears off in the shipping box. Like its older brother, the 346XP, the 550 likes to roll over on its side, I guess so it can rest;). I wish I didn't need a tool to pop the cover clips. The oil pump seems vulnerable. There is no replaceable tank protector like the 562XP has. I would prefer Torx fasteners. Seems like I am picking nits. I am. The saw is that good.

I bought my first saw thirty four years ago this fall. As an excited 14 year old I was thrilled with my new toy.

I feel the same way again.

just gotta know,what was that first saw 34 years ago?

If I may be so bold, what about the 346 put you off??

The major lack of power for me. The handling of it was ok but I'd just rather run a larger saw with more reach. The rev quick but that's not really a big deal for me. I guess being used to 70cc and up saws has me wondering where the rest of the power is. A 555/562 is about as small as i like to use. They have enough power and don't weigh too much to use clearing fence row trees at shoulder height for hours.

The major lack of power for me. The handling of it was ok but I'd just rather run a larger saw with more reach. The rev quick but that's not really a big deal for me. I guess being used to 70cc and up saws has me wondering where the rest of the power is. A 555/562 is about as small as i like to use. They have enough power and don't weigh too much to use clearing fence row trees at shoulder height for hours.

The reason I ask is that before the 562XP was announced I had every intention of getting the 2153. Then when the 562 was announced I got all fired up over it and the CAD had me bad. That was until my local dealer got one in and I held it. I know this will make some folks mad, but it felt heavy, the same way the MS362 felt. I think the problem might be that they felt to close to my 044. Then the 550XP came along and was touted to have more power and weigh less than the 346. I thought "Ha!" "That's the saw!" bought it sight unseen, but when I picked it up for the first time I knew I'd done the right thing. All that being said, I don't know if the 550 would make you happy, going by your comments. I guess that is why we have all these different displacement categories!!:cheers:

The 562 is a little heavy feeling compared to the 555. It's not much but a little. It is a decent bit lighter than my 372xpw. A flush handle 372 there isn't much difference in them. If I don't get to use saws for a couple months then picked one up it might be alright. I guess it's what you get used to. I've used the ported 372 here lately as it's my only saw but it might be a couple months before I get to run them again so if I got a 550 or 562 then it would probably be alright and not feel as under powered. For a while there after having the 066 and 3120 the 372 was feeling mighty weak also.:msp_scared:

The 562 is a little heavy feeling compared to the 555. It's not much but a little. It is a decent bit lighter than my 372xpw. A flush handle 372 there isn't much difference in them. If I don't get to use saws for a couple months then picked one up it might be alright. I guess it's what you get used to. I've used the ported 372 here lately as it's my only saw but it might be a couple months before I get to run them again so if I got a 550 or 562 then it would probably be alright and not feel as under powered. For a while there after having the 066 and 3120 the 372 was feeling mighty weak also.:msp_scared:

You obviously need a 560xp - that one would remove the "little" weight difference...:msp_biggrin:

I would bet that if Husqvarna had imported the 560XP and I picked it up at the dealer it would have been a different story.

You obviously need a 560xp - that one would remove the "little" weight difference...:msp_biggrin:

I would bet that if Husqvarna had imported the 560XP and I picked it up at the dealer it would have been a different story.

The 560 would be fine. The plus for the 562 is the 20" techlite bar.

The 560 is interesting. When the 2260 comes out I might have to try one of them. I liked the 562 power of the stock one and the modded one I ran.

Latest posts

Back