Tzed250's Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
20" is 70cc territory.....:msp_biggrin:

I agree, but I think the consensus here is that the 562XP boxes up one weight class. I am sure I am biased by years of using the combo- If I'm swinging a 20" bar around I want 70cc of power behind it. I think Stihl has a great saw with the MS441C-M. When Husqvarna builds a new 70cc saw along the 550/560 lines it will be a ripper for sure.

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe for you. 20" is the shortest bar I want to run period.

Lol I've considered looking for the odd sized 13-15" bars for my 550. For what I do with it I really don't need anything bigger. And I only have a 16" on it now! 18-20" on my big saw, wouldn't mind having a 24" just in case. Really don't need anything bigger in this area. It's all in what you need!

komatsuvarna

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
I've been running a 16" on my 550 and like it well. I run a techlite 20" on my 372 and a 24" on the 395. Thats cuts 99% of my wood and i also got a 36" for the 395 that rarely gets used. Im in :msp_smile:the 50cc 16" and 70cc 20" club.

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
550XP clutch tool

I needed a tool to remove the clutch on my 550XP, so I made one.
2" cold rolled round. I faced the ends in the lathe and drilled a 15/32" hole through the center. Next, I moved the part to the mill where I cut a .5" square socket in the center. The next step was to drill three .25" holes through the part on a 1.20" BHC. I used 1/4-20 stainless SHCS for the divers. Correct fit in the clutch was obtained by turning the heads to a .34" diameter. As you can see in the final pic the tool fits firmly into the clutch, and is shown with a 3/8-1/2 adapter inserted. Hope this helps!

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pretty neat to be able to make those kinds of tools :) Looks like it will work well and if it ever wears out you can replace the drivers.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I've been running a 16" on my 550 and like it well. I run a techlite 20" on my 372 and a 24" on the 395. Thats cuts 99% of my wood and i also got a 36" for the 395 that rarely gets used. Im in :msp_smile:the 50cc 16" and 70cc 20" club.

That club sounds familiar, even though I am not fanatic about it....:msp_thumbup:

SierraWoodsman

SierraWoodsman

ArboristSite Guru
Nah, 20" TL is a great bar for that saw.
100% agree,562 has Perfect balance w/20" Techlite. It's a sweet combo.
Can't wait to try the 550, and also can't wait to see what's coming down the
pipe in the 70cc Class with this new design. Sure like what I've seen so far though.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just keep the wood up high off the ground! Too low and it plugs up crazy quick. She does a good job though :)

I mostly put the "noodle candidates" on a heavy pallet that I have made a backstop on (the cut is not close to any nails) - or I roll them over and use the top of the bar to finish the cut, or I just do it with an axe - no point in hitting the ground with the chain! :msp_biggrin:

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
I mostly put the "noodle candidates" on a heavy pallet that I have made a backstop on (the cut is not close to any nails) - or I roll them over and use the top of the bar to finish the cut, or I just do it with an axe - no point in hitting the ground with the chain! :msp_biggrin:

Not so worried about hitting the ground but rather the saw clogging up from no place to eject the noodles :)

Redoakranch

Redoakranch

ArboristSite Operative
I'm on board with these new saws but I've never been a fan of the short bars. I have a only run 20" bars on 50cc pro saws. I can bury them and they've alway cut and oiled fine. I guess I'd rather swing a light saw and have a slower cut in the big stuff than have a heavy saw to do light work. My trees have a lot of brush and limbs so maybe if I was just cutting big straight trees it would be different. That being said I really like running my MS660, but with a 28" bar I never feel like I'm using all it's potential, but that's what it came with and I'm broke.

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Not so worried about hitting the ground but rather the saw clogging up from no place to eject the noodles :)

Some saws get clogged up, and others don't - and there seem to be no certain clues to which saws do what, like I once thought.

As an exemple, the 346xp with 21LP chain does excellently, while the 353 with 95VP and the 5100S with 73LP or LG are pretty hopeless in that regard. :confused:

Latest posts