Tzed250's Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on board with these new saws but I've never been a fan of the short bars. I have a only run 20" bars on 50cc pro saws. I can bury them and they've alway cut and oiled fine. I guess I'd rather swing a light saw and have a slower cut in the big stuff than have a heavy saw to do light work. My trees have a lot of brush and limbs so maybe if I was just cutting big straight trees it would be different. That being said I really like running my MS660, but with a 28" bar I never feel like I'm using all it's potential, but that's what it came with and I'm broke.

You aren't really getting pro saw performance with a 20" on a 50cc saw...:taped:

Last edited:
I know I'm new and all but I just limbed and diced about an 8" limb that was about 20' in length. I split it 50/50 with the 550XP and the MS261. I feel both could hand a 20 if the operator didn't get into to large of wood. They both performed really well of course. I am still having what seems like a slight issue with the 550 "loading up" I would call it if it idles for more than a few moments.

It burps coming off idle. Fuel is and always has been canned Stihl. Still on the 3rd tank. No issues to report at all with the 261 so far.

A 20" bar on a 50cc saw will of course not be a real problem, it just degrades the performance of the saw, and messes up the handling qualities - I don't even want it on a 60cc saw.....:msp_wink:

Some saws get clogged up, and others don't - and there seem to be no certain clues to which saws do what, like I once thought.

As an exemple, the 346xp with 21LP chain does excellently, while the 353 with 95VP and the 5100S with 73LP or LG are pretty hopeless in that regard. :confused:

It plugs when there's no place for the noodles to eject ;)

I was waiting to get "Trolled" with my last comment. I really want to get a saw to fill the gap between the 346xp and ms660. Maybe a 562xp 20" or the next AT version of the 372xp with a 24" bar. Maybe Troll can be my friend then. All joking aside Troll is a straight shooter!

Sounds like an operator error lol I can't speak for the 5100 but the 353 seems to work nicely in that department.

It looked fine to me. He may perhaps go a little larger in the future when he ports the thing but it ran real good and sounded great just the way it is. Function over form in my book.

Sounds like an operator error lol I can't speak for the 5100 but the 353 seems to work nicely in that department.

I am actually considering if the exact kind of chain is responsible for at least some of the difference - I need to try them all again, with 21LP on all, and maybe try the Dolmar without the chip deflector.....

I'm liking the 20LPX. Baileys has 16" loops of it at a good price so I ordered a couple more for the 550.

Latest posts

Back