Ultimate 2 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of all the saws I have, if I had to just have two, I would keep an 026 and the MS660. I rarely use the 660 but it can do whatever the 026 can't.
That wouldn't be a very effective plan for me which is why I don't have a two saw plan. I don't use climbing saws on the ground and a rear handle up a tree is not the best solution either. So I would be very disadvantaged by not having a more complete line up. For someone that is just cutting firewood, I can see where two saws could be made to work (or even one if that is all you have) but more saws allows the correct tool for the job.
For the same reason I have a variety of drill motors varying from cordless up to the Milwaukee Hole Hawg. Varying tasks require different tools if you desire using the optimal tools for the job.
Therefore threads that are trying to determine the ultimate saw line-up should really be quantified as to what the intended usage will be.

So I ran the 461 Tuesday for planned Spruce and white pine removal, nothing fancy, just fell and bucking operations. The saw is smooth, balances well with the 20" with RSC it came with. The pine were alive, spruce dead from past lighting strike damage.

The saw fuel tank is big, holds almost a quart, oil tank is bigger than that of the 372XT that the 461 replaces. My only complaint to this point is the oiler just does not put out enough volume. I know this is a major complaint of any newer saws ( thanks EPA).

Storm damage from Tuesday nights winds, heavy rains will keep it's appetite satisfied for some time as the storm damage work is abundant. Will try and get some actions shots/vids up, always seems to get away from us as day progresses.

my 2 saw plan would be 288 and 395xp if I had to go down to just 2 saws. I dont see that ever being a decision I will make however. Id like to be buried with that 288 though.

If I HAD to take 2 (usually its 3+) it'd be 2260 20"
eta7ebud.jpg

And 2186 with what ever size I need 24" to 36.
y7aqusu5.jpg

With the prices that the 200Ts are bringing I would be very tempted to see that one off and buy a new top handle and a 40-50cc rear handle.

I am very tempted to see my 346xpg, I know the chances of every finding one again are slim to none but I could get a 550xpg and pocket a couple hundred.

Lately the two saws I've been using is my 036 and 660 for firewood cutting. I just bought a 372xp so the 036 might not see much run-time in the future.

Ported 7900 w/ 24" bar...image.jpg

And ported 661 w/ 36" bar...
image.jpg

That pretty much covers me for anything I want to do.
:)

Nice Thread !

Like the OP, I see most folks opt for a smaller/lighter 40'ish cc saw as the small saw and big 460/660 type saw for the big saw.

I too, feel the same and would go with my Stihl 241 and Stihl461 as the 461 will cut anything the 241 can't. I've not ran a 201T but I'd like to give it at a go sometime.

I find that when I take two saws out its always my Stihl 241 & Stihl 461 and the Stihl 362 does not get much use anymore. I really like the ripping/pulling torque of the 461 :)

Nice Thread !

Like the OP, I see most folks opt for a smaller/lighter 40'ish cc saw as the small saw and big 460/660 type saw for the big saw.

I too, feel the same and would go with my Stihl 241 and Stihl461 as the 461 will cut anything the 241 can't. I've not ran a 201T but I'd like to give it at a go sometime.

I find that when I take two saws out its always my Stihl 241 & Stihl 461 and the Stihl 362 does not get much use anymore. I really like the ripping/pulling torque of the 461 :)
I hope it wake up soon...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449888485.836338.jpg

Back