Ultimate firewood score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I heated my house by clearing land and problem trees for friends and references for the last 10 years. Yesterday I looked at a site that is the ultimate firewood score.

I have a friend at our church that owns a very large piece of property. Yesterday I went up to cut on a big oak tree with some friends. The tree came down in the wind storm we had a couple months ago. It is blocking the road into the property. I found out when I got up there my friend owns 900 acres and the tree is over 4' at the trunk. We pulled about 2 cords out yesterday.

When I went up with Jim to look at the tree he gave me the combination for the gate. I thanked him for access to the property and the opportunity to get some firewood and let him know what this meant to my family because we heat our house with firewood. He told me that he appreciated us going in to cut some of the wood and helping him clear the road. He also told me that we wouldn't have to wonder where we would get firewood ever again. He also let me know that we are welcome to go into the property for firewood and to help him thin the deer, wild boar and wild turkey herd that are resident on the property any time I want. This is also a very nice place for walks in nature even if I don't have a chainsaw or rifle with me. Jim leads the benevolence ministry and I lead the men's ministry at our church. I worked with him last fall during a ministry at our church where we fix cars for needy people in our community. I led the repair portion and he helped work with the people we helped. Access to this property is a blessing I didn't expect. God has been good to me!

I cut wood with my friends Steve and Ted. We also occasionally bring two pastors from our church who heat with wood to save money. They are getting the firewood bug and are starting to see the benefits of heating with wood extend beyond saving money. For me it is a way to relax, enjoy nature and time with friends. It's also the best stress reliever I have ever found.

Bob

Awesome

Bob95,

That's awesome for you!!! It's also awesome to hear about others that understand that we are all just tenants here!!! Happy cutting, I'm sure that you will have many other stories to come.

HD

That is some priviledge to have near open access to a man's land..
Jim sounds to be a very good man, neighbor and friend..

I heated my house by clearing land and problem trees for friends and references for the last 10 years. Yesterday I looked at a site that is the ultimate firewood score.

I have a friend at our church that owns a very large piece of property. Yesterday I went up to cut on a big oak tree with some friends. The tree came down in the wind storm we had a couple months ago. It is blocking the road into the property. I found out when I got up there my friend owns 900 acres and the tree is over 4' at the trunk. We pulled about 2 cords out yesterday.

When I went up with Jim to look at the tree he gave me the combination for the gate. I thanked him for access to the property and the opportunity to get some firewood and let him know what this meant to my family because we heat our house with firewood. He told me that he appreciated us going in to cut some of the wood and helping him clear the road. He also told me that we wouldn't have to wonder where we would get firewood ever again. He also let me know that we are welcome to go into the property for firewood and to help him thin the deer, wild boar and wild turkey herd that are resident on the property any time I want. This is also a very nice place for walks in nature even if I don't have a chainsaw or rifle with me. Jim leads the benevolence ministry and I lead the men's ministry at our church. I worked with him last fall during a ministry at our church where we fix cars for needy people in our community. I led the repair portion and he helped work with the people we helped. Access to this property is a blessing I didn't expect. God has been good to me!

I cut wood with my friends Steve and Ted. We also occasionally bring two pastors from our church who heat with wood to save money. They are getting the firewood bug and are starting to see the benefits of heating with wood extend beyond saving money. For me it is a way to relax, enjoy nature and time with friends. It's also the best stress reliever I have ever found.

Bob

Ya cant beat that!!!

Way cool

Pretty spiffy! Just reading what you wrote, I get the impression you would do nice neat clean up jobs as well, making the property even more valuable for the owner. So a big win all around.

Just goes to show, a lot of times in this life, the best deals don't necessarily involve a money transaction.

Pretty spiffy! Just reading what you wrote, I get the impression you would do nice neat clean up jobs as well, making the property even more valuable for the owner. So a big win all around.

Just goes to show, a lot of times in this life, the best deals don't necessarily involve a money transaction.

We tried to leave the place in better shape than we found it. A big oak tree that had three forks each over 4' in diameter fell and blocked the road. The roots were in sandstone that didn't hold when we had a 80 MPH windstorm about 2 months ago. The tree is blocking the road and is suspended by the root ball one on side of the road and a hillside on the opposite side of the road. We prepared the main trunk for removal and milling by cutting the branches off. Some of the branches were a full 2' across. Yes, this is a win-win for both of us.

The biggest problem he has is trespassing. He has people that come in with dirt bikes that tear up the trails. Who knows what else people who trespass in do. When there are people working on the property all day trespassers tend to stay away. I am more than happy to help thin the herds of deer and feral pigs there too which will have us going through some of the more remote area of the property. I told Jim this was like a dream come true.

That is a grand slam. Some of my most memorable moments has been watching nature from a tree stand while hunting and not squeezing off a shot, it has made me a more patient person. I believe every minute spent in the woods is added to our life in the end. Enjoy.

Great story and inspiring as well. Keep it up and the blessings are a bonus!

It does get better. My wife has a friend that is a single mother of a 18 year old young man. He loves doing anything outdoors. His mother found out about this and he is interested in cutting firewood and hunting with us. I am meeting with him Thursday to talk about what we are doing out there and when he can help us. I love reaching back to the next generation and have a burden for guys raised in single parent homes.

Hoosier Daddy, where in NW IN are you? I grew up in Calumet City, Ill and went to Tri-State University in Angola, IN.

Back